General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

tangent from the drug debate

Started by Chris Smith · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,182 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 September 2003
Last activity
15 September 2003
Original author
Chris Smith
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,182
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Since only Andy H. and a couple of you other speedsters will ever see elite marathoners up close
    after the starter's gun is fired--so the drug-assisted victory issue is just an interesting
    conversation for most runners--I'd like to hear some thoughts related to legal
    "performance-enhancing" materials used by the rest of us in marathons. Specifically, what if any
    drinks, food, gels, powders, bars, shoe inserts, breathing techniques, stretching sequences,
    race-week superstitions, hypnotism, etc., or other race day "tools" have you discovered over time
    that you really don't need as much as you previously thought you did in order to run your best
    performance? I'm talking about the runner's equivalent of "vaporware"--promises but doesn't deliver,
    or maybe you outgrew the need....

    chris

  2. "Chris Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Since only Andy H. and a couple of you other speedsters will ever see elite marathoners up close
    after the starter's gun is fired--so the drug-assisted victory issue is just an interesting
    conversation for most runners

    You mean it's not important unless you're actually running alongside them? You idiot. Everyone is in
    the same race. I don't want to be beaten by a drug cheat irrespective of whether he finishes one or
    one thousand places in front of me. It's the principle that's important, not it's application.

    Roger.

  3. Chris Smith said:

    runners--I'd like to hear some thoughts related to legal "performance-enhancing" materials used by
    the rest of us in marathons. Specifically, what if any drinks, food, gels, powders, bars, shoe

    Attention to salt be it caps or a drink. Many of the cramping issues in later stages of long
    races(to include the marathon) is early hyponatremia and not necessarily muscle abuse. Hydrate the
    day before but not on simple water and ignoring electrolytes.

    --
    Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
    [email hidden]

  4. I'm sure Andy would agree that even he wouldn't see real "elite" athletes for very long either.

    Running is a quite a simple sport really. None of the things you mention will make a lot of
    difference and there's never going to be a drug that will turn a donkey into a thoroughbred. The
    best way to be a good runner has been and always be will to be naturally talented and then do lots
    of training.

    If there are some things going that aren't quite right can somebody please send some tips our
    (British) male distance runners. We could not even find one to beat a woman this year and however
    good 2:15 is for a woman it is very ordinary indeed for an elite male.

    Cheers Tim

    "Chris Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Since only Andy H. and a couple of you other speedsters will ever see elite marathoners up close
    after the starter's gun is fired--so the drug-assisted victory issue is just an interesting
    conversation for most runners--I'd like to hear some thoughts related to legal
    "performance-enhancing" materials used by the rest of us in marathons. Specifically, what if any
    drinks, food, gels, powders, bars, shoe inserts, breathing techniques, stretching sequences,
    race-week superstitions, hypnotism, etc., or other race day "tools" have you discovered over time
    that you really don't need as much as you previously thought you did in order to run your best
    performance? I'm talking about the runner's equivalent of "vaporware"--promises but doesn't
    deliver, or maybe you outgrew the need....

    chris

  5. When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year (running
    like hell because I was late!) I noticed something interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00 pace starting
    area, people had shorts with pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them, belts with canteens
    of GU, multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to them like bullets on Rambo.
    The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw. There are multiple reasons for this. First, you
    might say, someone running sub-3 is going to have less time on-course so they don't need as much as
    someone running 3:30-4l to an extent this might be true. However, I think people are way too swayed
    by slick salesmanship. For instance, if you think chugging 1000 calories of Gu is going to help you,
    I doubt it. I take about three during the marathon, so I can see a few more than this but there are
    limits. Also, think of the extra weight/pounding on your legs carring all that stuff is going to
    cause! None of it is a substitute for good, old- fashioned training. That being said, I've had a
    couple things I used to do that I don't anymore. #1, I don't use Gu in anything shorter than a half
    marathon, and usually not in those. You have plenty of energy in your body for a 10k, it won't help
    you. #2, I DO drink Gatorade during a marathon...I've found I feel much better than when I used to
    use only water. Andy Hass

  6. Andy, you make some good points. I'll add my perspective.

    I wish I could get away with no GU, but Gatorade and Powerade give me "intestinal distress". So,
    I'll probably take 4-5 GU during the marathon. Maybe 1 or 2 during a 15k or 1/2 ... depends on the
    time of the race and if I've had a chance to eat breakfast.

    I tried doing a 20-miler on just water and it didn't go so well. SO, I know I need the carbs
    during the run.

    As for those that are on the course longer ... I think that is part of
    it. They need more sustenance because of their time on the course. But there is an optimal "dosage"
    for GU. 15 would probably be more than you can digest.

    Salesmanship may be part of it. Confidence and experience may be another. If you feel you need every
    advantage because you're training was marginal, you're more likely to fall for the sales pitch. If
    you're uncertain about how it's going to go, you're more likely to overcompensate with things that
    give you comfort ... GU, walkman, rabbit's foot, etc.

    -Keith

    Quoted message said:

    When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year
    (running like hell because I was late!) I noticed something interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00
    pace starting area, people had shorts with pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them,
    belts with canteens of GU, multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to
    them like bullets on Rambo. The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw. There are
    multiple reasons for this. First, you might say, someone running sub-3 is going to have less
    time on-course so they don't need as much as someone running 3:30-4l to an extent this might be
    true. However, I think people are way too swayed by slick salesmanship. For instance, if you
    think chugging 1000 calories of Gu is going to help you, I doubt it. I take about three during
    the marathon, so I can see a few more than this but there are limits. Also, think of the extra
    weight/pounding on your legs carring all that stuff is going to cause! None of it is a
    substitute for good, old- fashioned training. That being said, I've had a couple things I used
    to do that I don't anymore. #1, I don't use Gu in anything shorter than a half marathon, and
    usually not in those. You have plenty of energy in your body for a 10k, it won't help you. #2,
    I DO drink Gatorade during a marathon...I've found I feel much better than when I used to use
    only water. Andy Hass

    --
    Keith Gemeinhart Technology Service Corp. Sebring, FL
    --

  7. In article said:


    When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year (running
    like hell because I was late!) I noticed something interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00 pace
    starting area, people had shorts with pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them, belts
    with canteens of GU, multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to them like
    bullets on Rambo. The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw. There are multiple reasons
    for this. First, you might say, someone running sub-3 is going to have less time on-course so
    they don't need as much as someone running 3:30-4l to an extent this might be true. However, I
    think people are way too swayed by slick salesmanship. For instance, if you think chugging 1000
    calories of Gu is going to help you, I doubt it. I take about three during the marathon, so I
    can see a few more than this but there are limits. Also, think of the extra weight/pounding on
    your legs carring all that stuff is going to cause! None of it is a substitute for good, old-
    fashioned training.

    From Noakes, iirc, the upper limit of uptake is about 240 calories per hour. That requires that
    you be running slowly enough to have full digestive processes going. While that is typically true
    at ultramarathon paces, it is probably not true at marathon paces. Note that the relevant pace is
    relative to the person's effort level, not absolute pace. A figure I've seen for marathon pace
    uptake is more like 150 cal/hour.

    For a 4 hour marathoner, that's about 600 cals during the race. Then again, there's time between
    consumption and availability, which reduces the amount of during-race calorie conversion. One can
    game this a bit by downing some of the fuel before the race starts. But then you're not carrying
    the fuel with you in packages and it's the packages Andy is observing. So, how many packets of Gu
    are 600 cal?

    A different question is: How many calories of carbs do you _need_ to consume during the race? Rule
    of thumb-ish, people have enough glycogen stores on hand to complete 20 miles relying pretty much
    solely on that. With due LSD training, I think similar rule of thumb says that one can race a
    marathon, including 4 hours (note that the 20 miles is time-independant), with on-hand glycogen
    and fat metabolism. Taking on 600 cal of carbs during the race is to say that one is running the
    whole race on glycogen. On the one hand, this might be advantageous, in that straight glycogen
    burning is a more efficient and faster energy source. On the other hand, that 150 cal/hour uptake
    is rather idealized and is assuming that you are getting the precisely correct concentration of Gu
    to water for maximum uptake. Being off slows down the uptake, and being off in the wrong direction
    contributes to dehydration (as fluid leaves the body to dilute the over-concentrated sugar in your
    digestive system).

    Of course that also says you're not taking any gatorade/ultima/whatever at the stands. Gatorade is
    about 50 cals per 8 oz, iirc.

    On to wondering about water. Noakes again mentions that typical maximum uptake of fluid is about
    0.7 liters/hour (about 23 oz/hour). For a 4 hour marathoner, that's a total of about 2.8 liters,
    92 oz. Let's round a bit and call it 96 oz, 6 lbs. Carrying all that with you from the start is a
    pretty substantial addition. For the canonical 70 kg runner, it's equivalent to giving up almost
    4% of his VO2max (2 of 50). To do it from water stops at the race says 8 oz every (about) 2 miles,
    which sounds familiar to me. Note that faster runners would need less frequent stops (to keep up
    to maximum absorption rate) and slower runners would need even more.

    To the extent that pace is linear in VO2max, and averaging the penalty at 2%, the 'carry it
    yourself' runner at 4 hours is giving up about 5 minutes. (Also assumes it remains 2% in spite
    of the fact that you expect a much lower VO2max for 4 hour marathoning than the 50.) On the
    other hand, those 5 minutes might be made up for in the fact that the runner doesn't have to
    battle water stops, walk for the drinking (folks seem to have an easier time drinking from their
    own devices than from cups), and have confidence that they've got all the water they want, when
    they want it.

    Then again, how much water does one need to consume during the race? In a warm, poorly ventilated
    area (fitness center treadmill), I measured about 1.5 liters/hour of sweating. Apparently (Noakes
    again) this is a fairly typical value. So, sweating off 1.5 liters, absorbing 0.7 liters -> net
    loss of 0.8 liters per hour. In 4 hours, 3.2 liters, which is also 3.2 kg. Performance starts to
    be noticeably affected at 2-3% weight loss (right?), and is seriously hazardous at 7% ('serious' =
    even ultramarathoners pull each other off the course at that point). Let's take 2.5% as the
    maximum dehydration for racing. That says that even with maximum uptake, the 70 kg runner is 4.6%
    down by the end of 4 hours. (In warm, poorly ventilated, conditions.) For 2 hours, it's only 2.3%
    and he's 'ok'.

    Two points, one quantifiable here, one I'll have to ask about. One is that the 1.5 liters/hour
    occurs in large part because sweating and evaporative cooling is the only means of losing heat in
    fitness center conditions. In more reasonoble conditions, you can dissipate a substantial fraction
    of your heat through sensible heat loss (you're hotter than the air you're moving through).
    Roundly and roughly speaking, the sensible heat loss rate can be about 125-375 Watts, as compared
    to 760 Watts production rate for a 4 hour marathoner at 100 kcal/mile. So, from 1/6th to 1/2 of
    the dissipation. Taking 1/4th as a working value knocks back the required sweat rate to 1.2
    L/hour, and fluid deficit to 0.5 L/hour. In 4 hours, 2 kg, which is still an unpleasant
    2.9%. If half the heat is lost sensibly (evaporation is latent heat loss), then the fluid loss is
    0.75 L/hour and net of 0.05 L/hour, which is quite manageable. Hence the big concern in
    marathoning about the weather (a cool, breezy day is best for sensible heat loss).

    The one I have to ask about is how much water is released per kcal of glycogen burned. I only
    remember that Noakes mentioned that this is indeed a source, and that for ultramarathoners it is
    'significant'.

    In any case, the matter of limited uptake of water does point up some of the hazards and concerns
    for the people taking a long time for marathons. Even for fairly good weather conditions and a
    sensible hydration approach, a 4 hour marathoner can be near the edge of significant (negative!)
    effects from dehydration. A 6 hour marathoner is at even greater risk as smaller errors of dress
    and hydration (not to mention small variations in ability to take up water) can add up to serious
    dehydration debts -- or, as we're hearing about, hyponatremia as they err in the other direction.

    --
    Robert Grumbine radix.net~bobg Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this
    great facility makes them less appreciated than they would be had they been presented in a more
    abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  8. You'll also notice the amount of clothing decrease.

    Why do elite runners only every wear a singlet and shorts ... maybe sometimes gloves? It can be 20F
    and these guys are wearing the same thing as when it's 80F! Don't they get cold? Why not throw on a
    long sleeve shirt underneath? Is it about psyching out the other runners and looking tough? Colleen
    De Recur had hypothermia in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Would she have been better off with
    more clothes?

    Just wondering ...

    -Keith

    Quoted message said:

    When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year
    (running like hell because I was late!) I noticed something interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00
    pace starting area, people had shorts with pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them,
    belts with canteens of GU, multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to
    them like bullets on Rambo. The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw.

    --
    Keith Gemeinhart Technology Service Corp. Sebring, FL
    --

  9. Quoted message said:


    When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year
    (running like hell because I was late!) I noticed something interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00
    pace starting area, people had shorts with pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them,
    belts with canteens of GU, multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to
    them like bullets on Rambo. The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw.

    Andy, FWIW, I noticed the same thing with the folks when I was watching the Equinox Marathon last
    fall (watched from about mile 14/16, iirc; course record is about 2:45 and winning times typically
    in the 2:45-3 range, including a guy who did 2:32+ at Chicago in 2002). BUT I also saw what
    appeared to be some support from a vehicle (supplied by runner) for at least some of lead runners
    (about 1.7 hr).

    I also saw one runner (about 1/3 from front) with no/little gear/food/fluid get rescued because he
    was hypothermic to the point where he was almost unable to move somewhere between miles 14-16 (about
    2-2.5 hr or so; other runners reported him as being "down"😉. The medics finally had to bring him
    back to ambulance since they were unable to warm him on the course. He was still shivering when I
    saw him (transferring from 4-wheeler to truck to get to ambulance).

    Mid-packers had their gear / food (some may have had gels, but I saw mostly real food or maybe
    energy bars) and were relatively happily chugging along and smiling considering they had climbed a
    1500ft hill then had several miles on top a windy ridge with probably another couple hundred feet of
    up and down before they passed this point a 2nd time. Wind chill was below freezing. Back-of-packers
    looked like they had
    MP3/radios (originally thought they were GPS until I saw headsets, but maybe some were GPS) -
    definitely no need for them, and I was surprised they had them. Aside from the expense of gels,
    I wouldn't want to try to open one of those packs with cold hands and definitely wouldn't want
    to get gels out of a flask that hasn't been tucked someplace really warm. Heck, one person was
    having difficulties peeling a banana.

    Quoted message said:

    There are multiple reasons for this. First, you might say, someone running sub-3 is going to
    have less time on-course so they don't need as much as someone running 3:30-4l to an extent
    this might be true. However, I think people are way too swayed by slick salesmanship.

    IMHO, I don't think slick salesmanship comes into play except in a few ignorant cases. OTOH, I am
    rather naive about people's motives. I think people, esp. mid- and back-packers) are looking to
    replace what they expend, and in the case of this marathon, I'm certain that was the motivation. I
    *do* tend to be swayed by science, other runner's experience, and reading near-death stories where
    people didn't have enough of whatever or ignored warning signs.

    None of it is a substitute for good, old-

    Quoted message said:

    fashioned training.

    You're assuming
    1. The runner is of age class where world record is sub-3.
    2. Flat race where the course record is under 3 hrs - that is many people can finish in sub-3 hrs.
    (We have a 14-miler where winning times are over 3 hrs by national-class runners - and some had
    their camelbaks go dry before they were finished in 2002.)

    The rest of us like to run also and not restrict our running to those types of courses 😉

    #2, I DO drink Gatorade during a marathon...I've found I

    Quoted message said:

    feel much better than when I used to use only water.

    Bingo. I used to run/bike with only water, then used Gatorade, then started using (or recovering
    with) things with more electrolytes and carbs in them (Cytomax, Ultra, Endurox, Slimfast). I
    believed Doug and Mike T. when they said about keeping hydrated / fueled, and when actually running
    or biking I do. After one of my races last year, I had misjudged the time to hike back to car (ok,
    I dallied taking pictures) so that I ran out of fluid and snacks. I had food in car, but probably
    not enough of right things. It took me a while to recover, and I believe a lot of it was getting
    dehydrated and not replenishing fuel on way back to car (almost 3 hrs from race start). I've never
    had that problem since if I've got enough fluids and electrolytes. I learn quickly 🙂 No market
    hype involved.

    As I've gotten more experience and understand better what is needed for running and recovery (not
    based on marketing hype, but based on the science that I try to read, although there may be
    conflicting interpretations), I've been going back through the various drinks I've tested and
    figuring out what they have enough of and what they are deficient in and whether they are better for
    short runs, hard workouts, long runs, recovery, etc. (Gatorade qualifies as a *diet* sports drink in
    my book 😉

    My perspective is a little different than most, and I *try* to maintain input close to what I need -
    or input shortly after finished in that 1/2 hr window. I prefer to shorten post-race recovery
    substantially so I can go run some more than to shorten the race experience by few minutes 😉

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  10. Keith Gemeinhart said:

    I tried doing a 20-miler on just water and it didn't go so well. SO, I know I need the carbs
    during the run.

    Thanks for your comments, Keith. I also take a couple of gels during really long training runs and
    in races of half marathon or greater distance. But one thing I want to point out is that your
    water-only 20-mile problems may have been as much a sodium deficit as a carbs/energy issue. I've
    found in recent months that even if I am primarily drinking water on long runs, as long as I get
    some salt in the form of Thermotabs or crackers, etc., I'm less likely to crash late in the run. Not
    sure if you took anything other than just water n the 20-miler of course. Cheers. chris

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Keith Gemeinhart

    Quoted message said:

    You'll also notice the amount of clothing decrease.

    Why do elite runners only every wear a singlet and shorts ... maybe sometimes gloves? It can be 20F
    and these guys are wearing the same thing as when it's 80F! Don't they get cold? Why not throw on a
    long sleeve shirt underneath? Is it about psyching out the other runners and looking tough? Colleen
    De Recur had hypothermia in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Would she have been better off with
    more clothes?

    When it takes you to hypothermia, then you'd definitely be better off with more clothes.

    I think, though, that the less and lighter clothing is part of the reason that those folks are
    running faster. A small (but nonzero) part is that it's less dead weight to be carrying, so you
    run faster.

    The part I think is more significant is that by wearing less and lighter clothing, it is easier to
    get rid of heat (gory details in a different post of mine) both sensible heat and latent heat. If
    you can unload heat efficiently, particularly sensible heat, then you don't need to sweat as much.
    That keeps you better hydrated, and better hydrated = faster.

    --
    Robert Grumbine radix.net~bobg Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this
    great facility makes them less appreciated than they would be had they been presented in a more
    abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  12. Keith Gemeinhart said:


    You'll also notice the amount of clothing decrease.

    Why do elite runners only every wear a singlet and shorts ... maybe sometimes gloves? It can be
    20F and these guys are wearing the same thing as when it's 80F! Don't they get cold? Why not throw
    on a long sleeve shirt underneath? Is it about psyching out the other runners and looking tough?
    Colleen De Recur had hypothermia in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Would she have been better
    off with more clothes?

    Just wondering ...

    -Keith

    I'll second what Bob said.

    People argue that if you run faster, you'll be able to keep warm. Well, I've never seen anybody run
    in shorts and singlet at -20F 😉 Ok, that's somewhat extreme, BUT somewhere between there and say
    +40F, there's a point, and my guess is it depends on the person and the race duration, where you
    better have enough clothes on, regardless of how hard you are working. It's also one thing to cut
    the edges when you're in a city marathon; it's another when you're in a trail race and it could
    take 1/2 hour or more to be rescued. I've read many cases (usually ultras, but saw 1st hand in
    marathon that I was watching) where people dropped for hypothermia: energy loss exceeded energy
    production (poor energy management). Either need to reduce energy loss or increase production, and
    it may not be possible to increase production beyond a certain point. One of the bad things about
    hypothermia is that it early affects your ability to make decisions - like put on more clothes.
    FWIW, from what I've seen of people that do long races, they go prepared for changes in weather -
    clothing, fluids, food.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  13. Could've been a salt problem, but I guess it's hard to tell. I've never tried salt tabs. However,
    workouts with GU or GU20 (Gu's answer to Gatorade) are much more pleasant that with plain water.

    -Keith

    Chris Smith said:
    Keith Gemeinhart said:

    I tried doing a 20-miler on just water and it didn't go so well. SO, I know I need the carbs
    during the run.

    Thanks for your comments, Keith. I also take a couple of gels during really long training runs and
    in races of half marathon or greater distance. But one thing I want to point out is that your
    water-only 20-mile problems may have been as much a sodium deficit as a carbs/energy issue. I've
    found in recent months that even if I am primarily drinking water on long runs, as long as I get
    some salt in the form of Thermotabs or crackers, etc., I'm less likely to crash late in the run.
    Not sure if you took anything other than just water n the 20-miler of course. Cheers. chris

    --
    Keith Gemeinhart Technology Service Corp. Sebring, FL
    --

  14. Well when I'm in a race I try to carry the minimum possible and use the lightest things I have. Here
    in the UK I always race in just a singlet and shorts and some sort of "racing" shoe be this spikes
    for track/XC or flats for road. In recent years I have even done most of races without socks
    although one needs to have broken such shoes in a bit.

    I've never done a marathon but did a 1:56 20 miler last month with just one sip of water at
    about 15 miles.

    I reckon though 2 hours is about the limit on which I can go with needing sports drinks so am pretty
    sure I would need to give more thought to this area if and when I do a marathon.

    Stating the obvious but a 4 hour marathoner is on their feet twice as long as the best guys and so
    is really competing in a different event requiring different ways of approaching it.

    I would say the slower runners need to wear more clothes in colder weather because as they are on
    their feet longer their average pulse relative to their max must be a lot lower than the fastest
    guys and if your pulse is low you are not generating so much body heat. Well I would always wear
    some sort of leggings in the winter on an easy run but never in a race.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I moved thru the starting chute on the way to the seeded area at Chicago last year
    (running like hell because I was late!) I noticed


    something

    Quoted message said:

    interesting. Back around 3:30-4:00 pace starting area, people had shorts


    with

    Quoted message said:

    pockets and like 15 Gu/Powergels stuffed in them, belts with canteens of


    GU,

    Quoted message said:

    multiple water bottles, and all sorts of paraphenalia strapped to them


    like

    Quoted message said:

    bullets on Rambo. The more I moved forward, the less of that I saw. There are multiple reasons for
    this. First, you might say, someone


    running

    Quoted message said:

    sub-3 is going to have less time on-course so they don't need as much as someone running 3:30-4l
    to an extent this might be true. However, I think people are way too swayed by slick salesmanship.
    For instance, if you


    think

    Quoted message said:

    chugging 1000 calories of Gu is going to help you, I doubt it. I take


    about

    Quoted message said:

    three during the marathon, so I can see a few more than this but there are limits. Also, think of
    the extra weight/pounding on your legs carring all that stuff is going to cause! None of it is a
    substitute for good, old- fashioned training. That being said, I've had a couple things I used to
    do that I don't anymore. #1, I don't use Gu in anything shorter than a half marathon, and usually
    not in those. You have plenty of energy in your body for a 10k,


    it

    Quoted message said:

    won't help you. #2, I DO drink Gatorade during a marathon...I've found I feel much better than
    when I used to use only water. Andy Hass

  15. Dot said:


    You're assuming
    1. The runner is of age class where world record is sub-3.

    ooops, didn't mean to imply that I was in such an age-class, but there are age classes where that is
    true (65 female), and the point is still valid. (sub-3 in my age class is 90% age grade, equivalent
    to 2:32, and I doubt that I would ever run on such a course)

  16. In article said:

    Robert, if you have the 4th edition of Lore of Running, Noakes gives a calculation of water from
    glycogen (each gram of glycogen stores about 3 g of water with it).

    Indeed I do. (Possibly the only book I have more than one edition of.) Still haven't finished the
    reading. Can we also use the rule of thumb for carbohydrates that says 1 gram = 4 kcal?

    If so, our 4 hour marathoner, at 100 cal/mile = 655 kcal/hour. If all the energy were from
    glycogen, and at 4 kcal/gram, that's 160 grams glycogen, and 500 grams (0.5 liters) water per
    hour. In that case, the balance becomes: Loss: Sweat 1.5 L/hour Gain: Drink 0.7 L/hour Metabolism
    0.5 L/hour Net: -0.3 L/hour

    After 4 hours, the runner is down 1.2 liters, or 1.7% (70 kg runner). With even moderately decent
    weather, the runner can break even. Losing 20% of the heat by sensible flux rather than latent,
    which my prior estimate says can be on the low end of an expectable range, lets the runner break
    even on water (even for arbitrarily long runs -- given all prior assumptions).

    Quoted message said:

    We probably need to consume less water than we think because of the glycogen-water issue.

    Looks like a major difference! If my estimatings are right, it can be 70% of the water that
    you ingest.

    Quoted message said:

    Noakes argues that the reason we do better with exogenous CHO is that we need it for central
    nervous function. Since the brain prefers glucose and the liver provides more of the glucose for
    the blood and brain and since liver glycogen is in short supply for something like a marathon, the
    CHO intake helps brain chemistry and delays the onset of fatigue.

    Exogenous CHO does NOT "spare" muscle glycogen as was once thought.

    Darn. So I'm eating those PBJs on the ultra runs for my brain, not my legs.

    But for the brain, I thought it was a matter of being mandatory to burn CHO and impossible to
    burn fats.

    --
    Robert Grumbine radix.net~bobg Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this
    great facility makes them less appreciated than they would be had they been presented in a more
    abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.