General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Syncope, atenolol, now I'm scared

Started by Cher · · Last activity · 10 posts · 571 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 February 2004
Last activity
27 February 2004
Original author
Cher
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
571
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
    many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
    was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital where
    they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks later,
    I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table test
    confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills and this
    pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all related or
    not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go to work
    today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.

    cheryl

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
    many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
    was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital
    where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks
    later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table
    test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills
    and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all
    related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go
    to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.

    cheryl

    I urge you to find a doctor who's knowledgable (no easy task) about mast cell activation disorder,
    mastocytosis, and, if you have face flushing, carcinoid syndrome.

    I found my friend's diagnosis of masto on Medline after about 12 doctors at 3 hospitals tortured her
    and failed to find it.

    All I had to do was type in her three main symptoms.

    Susan

  3. "Susan " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that
    had many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They
    said it was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the
    hospital where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home.
    Three weeks later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had
    a tilt table test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like
    taking pills and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing
    if it is all related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and
    scared. I didn't go to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you
    for letting me vent.

    cheryl

    I urge you to find a doctor who's knowledgable (no easy task) about mast


    cell

    Quoted message said:

    activation disorder, mastocytosis, and, if you have face flushing,


    carcinoid

    Quoted message said:

    syndrome.

    I found my friend's diagnosis of masto on Medline after about 12 doctors


    at 3

    Quoted message said:

    hospitals tortured her and failed to find it.

    All I had to do was type in her three main symptoms.

    Susan

    Susan:

    What clinical evidence leads you to believe that the original poster is suffering from an allergy? I
    took it that she had a migraine and was prescribed a Beta Blocker. B-blockers are notorious for
    causing symptoms such as described.

    Entering in three main symptoms in a computer program seems a bit simplistic. If you consider that
    12 docs have about 48 years of med school experience, it is unlikely that a three question program
    can supersede their education. In fact, it seems a tad arrogant. Was the site at which you found the
    questionnaire promoting 'Mast Cell Disease'?

    Obviously, you have touched a nerve with me and I do not mean to be sarcastic. I get very tired of
    hearing people self diagnose themselves via the internet, etc. and then proclaim that they are able
    to do what clinicians are unable to do. I believe that great harm comes from self-diagnosis. I
    believe that it is easier to believe that fibromylagia or toxic mold is the cause of depression and
    lethargy because there is no cure. Until depressed and lethargic folks believe that they can
    determine their outcomes, they will remain depressed and lethargic. Alas, I have known too many
    patients who 'enjoyed' their illness. Without it they would be nothing or at least unworthy of the
    attention that illness garners.

    I believe in the benefits of herbal remedies but I have seen more than one person forego needed
    surgery because they believed in chelation therapy which has not been proven. CoQ10 is an excellent
    alternative adjunct to traditional cardiology but it is not a stand alone therapy.

    Please forgive me for this rant. I do not now, nor will I ever, believe that a three question
    internet quiz is a substitute for real medical care.

    j

  4. I am in awe of your emotional response. Although fibromylagia patients are very real, it did become
    the disease of the month club for a while and was quite over diagnosed. Do you deny that? Do you
    think it helps true fibro patients when scores of patients complaining of vague symptoms are given a
    'legit' diagnosis? I would be offended if I had fibromyalgia. I have seen the bizarre lab work of
    true toxic mold patients but it is not typical of the fast majority of those claiming the disease.

    I am sure that you hold it as a badge of honor that you have NEVER missed a day of work Like you, I
    have never missed a day of work regardless of how badly I felt related to allergies, etc. I do not
    believe I made a mockery of anyone.

    Maybe instead of working 50 - 70 hours a week, you should relax a little. Your granddaughter might
    appreciate a Grandmother who is more rested and in less pain. Being a martyr counts for little when
    it comes to little kids.

    By the way, I am not sure that you are qualified to tell me what I am or am not worthy of. I am a
    nurse and I care deeply for people. It is not your call.

    I noticed that you didn't address the other points in my email. Is that because you believe that a
    three question internet quiz can accurately diagnose 'mast cell' disease?

    j "Complex592" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20040224214916.16225.00000248@mb-
    m11.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    How dare you talk about fibro patients like they are mental cases. Having


    been

    Quoted message said:

    diagnosed with Fibro all the way back in 1983 I can tell you it is a real disorder. Do I wallow in
    pain? No. I have learned to live with it and keep


    it

    Quoted message said:

    at a minimum. I NEVER miss a day of work and never walk around


    complaining.

    Quoted message said:

    How dare you make a mockery of someone who feels so worn out from pain


    that

    Quoted message said:

    they can not move:? Their pain is as real as in any other disease. Just


    as

    Quoted message said:

    your funny bone has been hit so has mine. Mitral valve prolapse,


    irritable

    Quoted message said:

    bowel syndrom, tendonitius, muscle spasm, chronic back pain, numerous


    trigger

    Quoted message said:

    points. parasthesias, mental fog, muscle cramps, stiff man syndrome. You


    want

    Quoted message said:

    to know something. I have worked 50-70 hours a week with all of the


    above.I

    Quoted message said:

    take care of a home, my granddaughter and then work at night from home. I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    had breast cancer and and 6 months of chemo and it was easier than fibro


    any

    Quoted message said:

    day of the week. Dont be so quick to validate or invalidate anybodys


    complaint

    Quoted message said:

    of discomfort. Your not worthy of it obviously. Goodnight.

  5. "Complex592" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Julie I am not a martyr. I work hard because I love my work. You, Love


    people.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you sound more like the black nurse of death. Loving people is


    to

    Quoted message said:

    accwept them for what they are not run their lives. Get a life. I just


    can

    Quoted message said:

    see it now...The patient in 201B calls out on the intercom and the lite


    goes

    Quoted message said:

    on.. The patient needs to go to the bathroom. Nurse Julie sitting


    there,tells

    Quoted message said:

    the nurses charting at the station, "That patient in 201B is a real pain.


    She

    Quoted message said:

    has nothing to do but call out. All she wants is attention." Dont give


    me the

    Quoted message said:

    loving nurse routine. I have worked in hospitals for 29 years. I have


    watched

    Quoted message said:

    nurses SKIP TO A CODE HOLDING HANDS. DO HATE NURSES. No. There are good


    ones

    Quoted message said:

    and their are bad ones. But hidding behind the dear nurse routine doesnt


    work.

  6. I have a life, thank you very much. I no longer work in a hospital but work as a consultant., I have
    no patients in 201B or whatever number you imagination comes up with.

    I will tell you this. I am ruthless when it comes to people questioning my motives and trashing my
    nursing skills and judgment. Unless you can come up with actual situations in which I behaved in the
    unprofessional way in which you described, you would be better off not relating them online or
    anywhere else in a public forum. This is not a suggestion. I will take action.

    As best I know you have never been my patient nor have you been a patient at a facility that has
    used my consulting services. To call me the Black Nurse of Death because I tend to think that
    fibromyalgia has been over diagnosed tells me more than I ever wanted to know about you. I
    personally, have never skipped to a code holding hands with anyone although, I have attended
    numerous codes in my role as a CCU nurse. I can assure you that my only objective was to restore an
    airway and heartbeat. Does that make me a black nurse of death?

    Be very careful. I love my job and I love teaching patients. I do not take threats to my livelihood
    lightly. By the way, how much time have you spent in nursing school? What license do you have?

    julianne (note spelling).

    "Complex592" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20040224223025.16105.00000375@mb-
    m11.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    Julie I am not a martyr. I work hard because I love my work. You, Love


    people.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you sound more like the black nurse of death. Loving people is


    to

    Quoted message said:

    accwept them for what they are not run their lives. Get a life. I just


    can

    Quoted message said:

    see it now...The patient in 201B calls out on the intercom and the lite


    goes

    Quoted message said:

    on.. The patient needs to go to the bathroom. Nurse Julie sitting


    there,tells

    Quoted message said:

    the nurses charting at the station, "That patient in 201B is a real pain.


    She

    Quoted message said:

    has nothing to do but call out. All she wants is attention." Dont give


    me the

    Quoted message said:

    loving nurse routine. I have worked in hospitals for 29 years. I have


    watched

    Quoted message said:

    nurses SKIP TO A CODE HOLDING HANDS. DO HATE NURSES. No. There are good


    ones

    Quoted message said:

    and their are bad ones. But hidding behind the dear nurse routine doesnt


    work.

  7. Cheryl,

    I'd be scared,too. There is a procedureto prevent fainting - an exercise you can be trained to do.

    [email hidden] (Cher) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
    many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
    was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital
    where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks
    later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table
    test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills
    and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all
    related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go
    to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.

    cheryl

  8. What is it? How?

    Thanks, Cheryl

  9. "Susan " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    FTR, I'm really sick of ignorant people who think everyone is searching


    herbal

    Quoted message said:

    medicine retail sites for their health info, or who recommend sitting back


    and

    Quoted message said:

    letting ignorant lazy doctors (my friend's were at very prestigious NY


    academic

    Quoted message said:

    hospitals) do the driving.

    Susan

    Ah, but surely there must be some happy medium....

    Not all doctors are lazy and ignorant. Furthermore, herbal and other alternative medical practices
    have been around for centuries longer than traditional medicine. I cannot imagine that China would
    have overpopulation problems if tea, tofu and acupuncture were harmful. I also have seen patients
    taking vinegar for high blood pressure in lieu of antihypertensive meds because they were hostile
    against traditional medicine. (It doesn't work, by the way.) I had a patient with maggots in a wound
    because her family didn't think the doctors knew how to dress a wound the way they preferred.
    (Debridement looks bad but it is necessary!)

    I have never worked in NY academic hospitals. I have not heard that the docs there were lazy or
    ignorant. The docs I worked with, for the most part, worked exceptionally hard. Is it even remotely
    possible that some of the docs and other health care professionals care just a little about their
    patients? Instead of letting the doc or the patient do the driving, maybe a co-pilot relationship
    would be best??

  10. sciencedaily.com020909065439.htm

    [email hidden] (Cher) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What is it? How?

    Thanks, Cheryl

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.