General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sydney City-to-Surf Race Report

Started by Andrew Taylor · · Last activity · 9 posts · 220 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 August 2004
Last activity
11 August 2004
Original author
Andrew Taylor
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
220
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sydney's City-To-Surf has a spectacular start and finish. The ~56,000
    entrants are split into 3 groups and lined up in 3 streets leading into
    an intersection on the edge of Sydney CBD. Its an impressive view for
    the ~500 seeded/preferred runners in the centre of the intersection.

    A finish last year under 55 minutes gets you into the preferred group
    but this can be difficult if you aren't already in the preferred group.
    Runners hoping to qualify queue for 2+ hours to get a reasonable start.
    Evidence of a a recent sub-35 10k will also get you a preferred start
    and luckily they accepted my time in last year's sydney marathon as
    equivalent (not that it was) so i started up the front for my first C2S.
    I did feel a little guilty warming up in a nearby park, chatting with
    seeded runners and then strolling over to the start 20 minutes beforehand.

    My training had been well short of what it should have been. I've not
    given running a high priority since May. I'd kept up the speedwork but
    without the volume to back it up, it had been indifferent. My target of
    52:00 for the hilly 14km to Bondi seemed very optimistic. I reckoned
    I wasn't in as good shape as I was for an 81:05 half in May. The only
    positive was that I managed to fit in a ~7km race on the previous 2
    weekends - so some sharpening at least.

    You don't get a choice about starting fast if you are at the front of
    the C2S. Almost 20,000 people go with the first gun, its downhill for
    the first few hundred metres and and this year the tunnel at 1km was
    partially closed by construction work so every one was keen to get there
    before it became a choke point. You wouldn't want to fall.

    After the tunnel runners thinned out a little and I could think about
    pace. The plan was to go out hard and see if I could keep together on
    the hills. There is plenty of downhill in the last 4k. I missed the
    early km markers and figured I wasn't doing well - there were still many
    runners around me. But 18:21 at 5km was good news. I was on pace and
    over the first couple of (smaller) hills. At 6km the long climb out of
    Rose Bay begins, famous as the C2S's "Heartbreak Hill" and much feared.
    I maintained a good rhythm but there a couple of turns and sharper rises
    that make you work.

    A 7km split of 26:45 didn't sound good but Heartbreak Hill was almost
    finished and I felt OK, regularly passing other runners. The course
    was harder than I expected from 7km to 11km - plenty of undulations -
    I was working hard but it didn't feel fast.

    I did catch the runner who'd beaten me into 2nd in my age group the
    previous weekend. I'd followed 50-100m behind him for the entire race
    last weekend, so there was a little satisfaction passing him on a climb.
    At 11km you can see the ocean in front of Bondi - a great sight - and not
    long after some long winding downhills. My downhill technique must be
    improving as I passed a few people.

    The course loops around behind the beach and the finish appears
    tantalizingly close when you still have a km to go. I was hoping a
    negative split would have me just under 53:00. Very pleasantly surprised
    to be handed a timing card which said 51:25.

    Spent a few minutes chatting to some of the other runners. One of them
    had run the race with a stress fracture of the tibia. He'd run the
    race over 20 times and didn't want to miss it. A sensible person might
    have walked at the back of the pack. He turned up in racing flats and
    finished just behind me but limping and in some pain.

    Many celebrate around the beach or in the pubs but I had to head home.
    I'd run in New Balance RC210s - light but not exactly comfy. Swapping to
    well-used 2090s for run home certainly felt good as did a much slower
    pace across Sydney's eastern suburbs home.

    I'm happy with 213/48574 finishers but I was well behind my age-group
    winner. Steve Moneghetti at 41 and wearing a microphone to provide
    live commentary stayed at the front until about 13km. Two Tanzanians,
    Patrick Nyangelo and Dickson Marwa, dropped him in the last km to take
    first and second but well outside Moneghetti's 13 year old record.

    Now thinking about making another attempt at a sub-80 half next month.

    Andrew Taylor

  2. Very nice report. This sounds very similar to the Bloomsday race
    in Spokane, Washington; really big race (65K at its peak), multiple
    starting lines, world class runners, seeded start for better runners.

    Congratulations on your beating your target.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Congratulations on your beating your target.

    If only someone'd beat him, maybe we wouldn't be subjected to this [censored].

  4. Quoted message said:

    If only someone'd beat him

    I meant beat him senseless.

  5. Andrew Taylor said:

    Sydney's City-To-Surf has a spectacular start and finish. The ~56,000
    entrants

    Ye gods! Talk about chalk and cheese. 62 entrants in my last race. ;-)

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Very pleasantly
    surprised to be handed a timing card which said 51:25.

    Great report and great result Andrew. Wish I could find some way of
    building endurance *and* speed.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  6. How much later did the second group start after the first?

  7. Quoted message said:

    From: [email hidden] (Jose Sanchez)

    Itchy? My hero has returned!

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Ye gods! Talk about chalk and cheese. 62 entrants in my last race. ;-)

    Not many similarities with the DOTH no. The C2S does have some good views
    of harbour and ocean. The best views - part of a hilly 30km circuit -
    are about 2 km further east where you get panoramic views of city,
    harbour & ocean - just as good as your glorious DOTH pics.

    Quoted message said:

    Great report and great result Andrew. Wish I could find some way of
    building endurance *and* speed.

    I have to admit I don't know why I've got faster on the last few months
    training, not that I'm complaining.

    Andrew

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jose Sanchez said:

    How much later did the second group start after the first?

    I think its 5-10 minutes between each of the 3 starts.

    Andrew

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.