Road Cycling · Public discussion

Switched saddles....OUCH!

Started by Hell and High Water · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,236 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 August 2007
Last activity
13 August 2007
Original author
Hell and High Water
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,236
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Aug 10, 1:55 am, [email hidden] (Dennis P. Harris)

    Quoted message said:

    yep. once yer sitbones get used to it, you'll do much better.
    just work up to those long rides by taking short rides on it
    every day.

    I tried a Terry Fly, which I wouldn't call "hard". I found it hard on
    my taint despite the groove up the middle, so I returned it.

    I'm curious enough to give hard saddles another shot. What kind of
    shorts have you found comfortable with hard saddles? Do you prefer
    thin, simple chammies, or the ones with lots of different padding
    "zones"?

    Also, how long should someone expect to take to get used to a hard
    saddle? Two weeks/250 miles? A month/500 miles? (I know, tough
    questions even for an expert, but I'll accept a good guess...)

    - JR

  2. Quoted message said:

    On Aug 10, 1:55 am, [email hidden] (Dennis P. Harris)

    Quoted message said:

    yep. once yer sitbones get used to it, you'll do much better.
    just work up to those long rides by taking short rides on it
    every day.

    SlowRider said:

    I tried a Terry Fly, which I wouldn't call "hard". I found it hard on
    my taint despite the groove up the middle, so I returned it.

    I'm curious enough to give hard saddles another shot. What kind of
    shorts have you found comfortable with hard saddles? Do you prefer
    thin, simple chammies, or the ones with lots of different padding
    "zones"?

    On my Specialized Alias, I'm good to go in jeans up to about 30 miles.
    I can deal with up to 40. In my cheap Nashbar shorts, I rode a metric
    century and was just starting to feel the presence of the saddle at the
    very end.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, how long should someone expect to take to get used to a hard
    saddle? Two weeks/250 miles? A month/500 miles? (I know, tough
    questions even for an expert, but I'll accept a good guess...)

    Took me a couple of days.
    \\paul

  3. Paul Myron Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Aug 10, 1:55 am, [email hidden] (Dennis P. Harris)

    Quoted message said:

    yep. once yer sitbones get used to it, you'll do much better.
    just work up to those long rides by taking short rides on it
    every day.


    SlowRider said:

    I tried a Terry Fly, which I wouldn't call "hard". I found it hard on
    my taint despite the groove up the middle, so I returned it.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm curious enough to give hard saddles another shot. What kind of
    shorts have you found comfortable with hard saddles? Do you prefer
    thin, simple chammies, or the ones with lots of different padding
    "zones"?

    On my Specialized Alias, I'm good to go in jeans up to about 30 miles.
    I can deal with up to 40. In my cheap Nashbar shorts, I rode a metric
    century and was just starting to feel the presence of the saddle at the
    very end.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, how long should someone expect to take to get used to a hard
    saddle? Two weeks/250 miles? A month/500 miles? (I know, tough
    questions even for an expert, but I'll accept a good guess...)

    Took me a couple of days.
    \\paul

    A couple of days, eh? Sounds to me like you've got an iron butt, but
    I'll give it a try. ;-)

    Thanks!

    - JR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.