Quoted post said:Originally Posted by David Henderson [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
Davereo: You are 100% correct: "Never ride against traffic". That statement was so obvious to me that I failed to add it to my list. Thanks!
Chillin': Your items 1, 2, and 4 are 100% correct.
Item 3 of riding on the sidewalks is generally a no go. In fact, many cities have ordinances (laws/rules) against this. I understand your thought. There may be occasions where popping of the road is advisable, but as a general rule: do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalk.
Item 5 is debatable in that sometimes road conditions/situations are not safe for a automobile to pass a cyclist (I'm describing roadways where bicyclists have legal right to use). When a cyclist moves over tight to the edge of the road during this described scenario it's as if they are inviting (or daring) a driver to "shoot the opening" instead of waiting for a safer spot to pass. Take the whole lane (in this described scenario) and remain uninjured I say.
Sorry to take so long to reply, I somehow didn't see that this post got a reply when I checked on my posts.
There are cities around here where the bike lane actually leads to a ramp that goes onto the sidewalk, which you are expected to use. When I suggest the use of a sidewalk (for gaining a safer distance from the tons of steel coming up behind), that is only where it is "safe to do so", as is all my suggestions (I just don't always interject that).
Of course my suggestion to get over is when there is enough room for a car to pass. On a road where there is no room (narrow one-laners, narrow two-laners that have too much on-coming traffic to allow safe passing) I will make an effort to find a place to turn-out, asap, to allow the faster vehicle to get by and until then I will not invite the driver to pass by getting far left. (this I think is being a courtious rider and using the turn-out concept/rule where a driver/rider must use a turn-out when holding-up 5 or more vehicles)