I've been working on the derailleurs of a friend's bike, and I find
the whole thing to be quite torturous. They are Sun-Race "Handy [censored]"
derailleurs. I am close to snapping the cable from being frayed after
so many adjustments, and I still am not able to adjust the front
derailleurs to get the chain to fall on the lower sprocket AND at the
same time, raise itself up on the largest, and have the whole process
go smoothly without chains getting caught in the derailleur cage on
frequent occasions. The biggest problem with the front derailleur is
you have to apply so much hand pressure to get the chain to go on the
largest sprocket, that I now have blisters all over my hands from
adjusting these derailleurs. I have a similar looking system on my
Mongoose (Grip Shift), but NO WAY do they require so much hand tension
to change gears. (and no, I can not make the cables more slack on the
front Sun Race derailleur to ease shifting, else that causes problems
shifting gears).
After days of adjustments, I have no choice but to conclude that the
Handy Shift are inherently difficult to shift in the lowest(?) gears
(chain on largest sprocket), even right off the factory line. I don't
come to this conclusion hastily. The cables (were) in exc. condition,
so I don't think that's the problem. There's a red tension adjustment
ring, which goes from Soft to Hard, but you already get blisters on
"Soft" and Hard makes the nightmare of riding as bike with the Sun
Race Handy Shift grip shifters even worse. My question is, if anyone
has these gears or has used them, can you confirm my conclusion about
their hard tension, or can there be some other reason for this? (My
friend has not had the bike for long, but tells me the grip shifters
were always difficult to shift).