Road Cycling · Public discussion

Suggestions for dealing with a "frozen" track cog?

Started by rcoder · · Last activity · 7 posts · 548 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 February 2005
Last activity
7 March 2005
Original author
rcoder
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
548
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently decided to switch down from a a 16 to 15-tooth cog on my
    road-conversion fixie. After I picked up the new cog and pulled the
    lockring, I spent the better part of an hour wrestling with the old
    cog, pulling as hard as I could on the chain whip in hopes of freeing
    it. So far, I've been completely unsuccessful.

    It is entirely possible that I'm just not strong enough and will need
    some additional leverage, (or the help of a friend with more upper body
    strength) but I just wanted to see what other people's experiences had
    been when switching out track cogs on relatively heavily-used
    "commuter" fixed gear bikes. I assume that any manual force I could
    exert on the wheel (so long as it's relatively in-line with the normal
    rotational and braking forces) shouldn't do any damage to it, but
    wonder if I should be trying solvents or something, rather than
    continuing to attempt the brute-force approach.

    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Lennon

    P.S.: As long as I've got the fixie riders' attention, how about a
    quick poll? What gearing do you run? If I succeed in this switch, I'll
    be going from 42/16 to 42/15, and thinking about switching to a 44t
    chainring as my next "upgrade".

  2. Try heating it with a heat gun or even a high-output hair drier. Did you
    grease the threads before you installed it?

    --

    alan...42x20 commuter with lights, fenders, panniers, etc.

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    "rcoder" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently decided to switch down from a a 16 to 15-tooth cog on my
    road-conversion fixie. After I picked up the new cog and pulled the
    lockring, I spent the better part of an hour wrestling with the old
    cog, pulling as hard as I could on the chain whip in hopes of freeing
    it. So far, I've been completely unsuccessful.

    It is entirely possible that I'm just not strong enough and will need
    some additional leverage, (or the help of a friend with more upper body
    strength) but I just wanted to see what other people's experiences had
    been when switching out track cogs on relatively heavily-used
    "commuter" fixed gear bikes. I assume that any manual force I could
    exert on the wheel (so long as it's relatively in-line with the normal
    rotational and braking forces) shouldn't do any damage to it, but
    wonder if I should be trying solvents or something, rather than
    continuing to attempt the brute-force approach.

    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Lennon

    P.S.: As long as I've got the fixie riders' attention, how about a
    quick poll? What gearing do you run? If I succeed in this switch, I'll
    be going from 42/16 to 42/15, and thinking about switching to a 44t
    chainring as my next "upgrade".

  3. rcoder said:

    What gearing do you run? If I succeed in this switch, I'll
    be going from 42/16 to 42/15

    I do 42x16 on my single, it's hilly round here, and it's also my beer run
    bike, so gotta keep the gearing reasonable.

    as for getting the cog off, some penetrating lubricant never hurt nobody...

  4. rcoder said:

    I recently decided to switch down from a a 16 to 15-tooth cog on my
    road-conversion fixie. After I picked up the new cog and pulled the
    lockring, I spent the better part of an hour wrestling with the old
    cog, pulling as hard as I could on the chain whip in hopes of freeing
    it. So far, I've been completely unsuccessful.

    It is entirely possible that I'm just not strong enough and will need
    some additional leverage, (or the help of a friend with more upper


    body

    Additional leverage is the key. Try placing the cog in a vise (use
    blocks of wood to prevent damage to the cog) and turning the wheel
    instead of holding the wheel and trying to turn the cog. Don't
    over-tighten the vise or you might warp the cog and cause damage to the
    hub. The extra leverage gained by turning the wheel instead of the cog
    should be enough to pop it loose.

    Good luck!

    -Buck

  5. "Buck" wrote(clip)Try placing the cog in a vise (use blocks of wood to
    prevent damage to the cog) (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would also consider wrapping some chain around the cog, and then holding
    with blocks in the vise. That will put the clamping pressure on the roots
    of the teeth instead of the tips.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    rcoder said:

    I recently decided to switch down from a a 16 to 15-tooth cog on my
    road-conversion fixie. After I picked up the new cog and pulled the
    lockring, I spent the better part of an hour wrestling with the old
    cog, pulling as hard as I could on the chain whip in hopes of freeing
    it. So far, I've been completely unsuccessful.

    It is entirely possible that I'm just not strong enough and will need
    some additional leverage, (or the help of a friend with more upper body
    strength) but I just wanted to see what other people's experiences had
    been when switching out track cogs on relatively heavily-used
    "commuter" fixed gear bikes. I assume that any manual force I could
    exert on the wheel (so long as it's relatively in-line with the normal
    rotational and braking forces) shouldn't do any damage to it, but
    wonder if I should be trying solvents or something, rather than
    continuing to attempt the brute-force approach.

    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Just on the off-chance you're attempting this with the wheel off
    the bike and the tire off the wheel, and standing the naked rim
    upright on the floor:

    try putting the tube & tire back on and inflating it. That'll
    give your wheel-supporting hand a better grip, and the tire
    will help keep the wheel from sliding while you reef on the
    chain whip.

    Otherwise ... good ol' Liquid Wrench, I guess.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  7. "Buck" wrote:
    "Try placing the cog in a vise (use blocks of wood to prevent damage to the
    cog)"

    It is better to place the chainwhip or cog tool in the vise and then turn
    the wheel. If you put the cog in the vise the force of the vise will pinch
    the cog against the hub.

    --
    Mike Murray

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.