General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sugar Alcohol Suspicion

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 11 posts · 653 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 November 2004
Last activity
19 November 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
653
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've lost over 60 lbs by cutting out sugar, potatos, rice and getting
    my heart rate going in the mornings for 15 minutes.

    Last night I had snickers chocolate bar after almost one year and it
    was damn good. 🙂

    Feeling guilty and wondering where science has taken us lately I ran
    over to publixs and picked three popular low carb chocolate bars which
    are still in the wrappers.

    One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    the Nutritional Facts.

    Dumb question number one. Does a normal chocalate bar have
    normal/natural sugar acohols that are not reported?

    Is there a real science to creating and using sugar acohols or this is
    BS diet science?

  2. The only BS about sugar alcohol's is the claim that they don't raise blood
    sugar which is true for some but false for many others.

    I've written up the low carb diet scams at
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/products.htm

    -- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
    hba1c 5.7 .
    Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

    Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've lost over 60 lbs by cutting out sugar, potatos, rice and getting
    my heart rate going in the mornings for 15 minutes.

    Last night I had snickers chocolate bar after almost one year and it
    was damn good. 🙂

    Feeling guilty and wondering where science has taken us lately I ran
    over to publixs and picked three popular low carb chocolate bars which
    are still in the wrappers.

    One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    the Nutritional Facts.

    Dumb question number one. Does a normal chocalate bar have
    normal/natural sugar acohols that are not reported?

    Is there a real science to creating and using sugar acohols or this is
    BS diet science?

  3. : I've lost over 60 lbs by cutting out sugar, potatos, rice and getting
    : my heart rate going in the mornings for 15 minutes.

    Good work. And, I know it was work.
    :
    : Last night I had snickers chocolate bar after almost one year and it
    : was damn good. 🙂

    This part, I don't understand. My personal experience has been that being so
    long without sugary products, I find I have lost all satisfaction from them
    when I do eat them. I tried a Snickers bar in October and my first
    impression was not "damn good" but "way too sugary".

    :
    : Feeling guilty and wondering where science has taken us lately I ran
    : over to publixs and picked three popular low carb chocolate bars which
    : are still in the wrappers.

    You would be wise to return them if your store will let you.

    :
    : One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    : the Nutritional Facts.
    :
    : Dumb question number one. Does a normal chocalate bar have
    : normal/natural sugar acohols that are not reported?
    :
    : Is there a real science to creating and using sugar acohols or this is
    : BS diet science?

    I don't know about the science involved, but I do know the bars will give
    you a certain amount of gastric distress. Don't stray from home after eating
    one. You'll need to use the facilities, if you know what I mean.

    Pat in TX

  4. Quoted message said:

    I've lost over 60 lbs by cutting out sugar, potatos, rice and getting
    my heart rate going in the mornings for 15 minutes.

    Last night I had snickers chocolate bar after almost one year and it
    was damn good. 🙂

    Feeling guilty and wondering where science has taken us lately I ran
    over to publixs and picked three popular low carb chocolate bars which
    are still in the wrappers.

    One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    the Nutritional Facts.

    Dumb question number one. Does a normal chocalate bar have
    normal/natural sugar acohols that are not reported?

    Is there a real science to creating and using sugar acohols or this is
    BS diet science?

    Pat is right. A lot of people do have problems depending upon the
    quantity they eat. SA's have never affected me like that but certain
    SA products give me an embarassing amount of flatulence for about 24
    hours afterwards. Like Pat, I don't want to leave the house when that
    happens. Inulin does it too.

    SAs have their place. I think making foods forbideen and evil is a
    psychological trap because we all know about "forbidden fruit" and
    once we give in (and we will at times throughout the rest of our
    lives) it will only make us feel worse for each "horrible"
    transgression. That's not a healthy way to deal with temptation.
    Especially with something so basic as foods. I use SA products to
    satisfy cravings and limit their effects on blood sugar/chemistry.

    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
    350/269/Nov-262/225
    Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
    Maint. not counting (CCLL=50-60)

  5. DigitalVinyl wrote:
    || SAs have their place. I think making foods forbideen and evil is a
    || psychological trap because we all know about "forbidden fruit" and
    || once we give in (and we will at times throughout the rest of our
    || lives) it will only make us feel worse for each "horrible"
    || transgression. That's not a healthy way to deal with temptation.

    Just wondering: why not? If we have weight problems and slip up from time
    to time, why is feeling badly about it such a problem? If we feel good
    about it, then we'll likely to continue the activity. A certain amount of
    guilt ain't so bad. Of course, if you're ready to produce some extreme
    reaction, that can be bad.

    || Especially with something so basic as foods. I use SA products to
    || satisfy cravings and limit their effects on blood sugar/chemistry.

    If you were referring to eating broccoli or a piece of meat, I'd agree.
    However, eating a peice of SA candy (or any kind of candy) is not really
    very basic.

    I do agree that it is silly to label any food "evil". But certainly there
    may be problems for some of us if we eat certain foods. The act of a
    diabetic or a person will strong carb addiction eating certain foods can be
    considered a "bad" activity for that person.

  6. Roger Zoul said:

    DigitalVinyl wrote:
    || SAs have their place. I think making foods forbideen and evil is a
    || psychological trap because we all know about "forbidden fruit" and
    || once we give in (and we will at times throughout the rest of our
    || lives) it will only make us feel worse for each "horrible"
    || transgression. That's not a healthy way to deal with temptation.

    Just wondering: why not? If we have weight problems and slip up from time
    to time, why is feeling badly about it such a problem? If we feel good
    about it, then we'll likely to continue the activity. A certain amount of
    guilt ain't so bad. Of course, if you're ready to produce some extreme
    reaction, that can be bad.

    That's where I was going with that. Often we make food out as the
    enemy, when often it is just a coping method for other problems.
    Making yourself feel guilty over eating something... anything in a day
    in your life is probably the least healthy way of dealing. No matter
    how much you over indulge it is one meal in one day out of over 10,000
    days in your life. Guilt usually doesn't result in constructive
    behavior, more superficial ones IMHO. Recognizing the cost of that
    meal, how hard it will take to work that off, recognizing and
    attaching consequence to the indulgence is constructive. Feeling
    guilty over being "bad" is just a feeling, and often feelings don't
    follow logic, facts, or common sense.

    Quoted message said:

    || Especially with something so basic as foods. I use SA products to
    || satisfy cravings and limit their effects on blood sugar/chemistry.

    If you were referring to eating broccoli or a piece of meat, I'd agree.
    However, eating a peice of SA candy (or any kind of candy) is not really
    very basic.

    I consider Chocolate to be amongst the basic food groups. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I do agree that it is silly to label any food "evil". But certainly there
    may be problems for some of us if we eat certain foods. The act of a
    diabetic or a person will strong carb addiction eating certain foods can be
    considered a "bad" activity for that person.

    It is an unhealthy thing, it is an action with consequences. However
    "bad" too often is attached to a moral judgement. I don't think you
    have to look far for examples of overweight people being looked down
    on as slovenly, lazy, unmotivated, weak, gluttonous, and more. I think
    "bad" can easily tap into that cultural stigma and make us identify
    too closely with that stereotype. Suddenly an overindulgence makes us
    guilty of being all those bad things. Looking at it that way I can see
    why people give up and put lots of weight back on. The indulgence
    becomes a great failure.

    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
    350/269/Nov-262/225
    Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
    Maint. not counting (CCLL=50-60)

  7. "Jenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The only BS about sugar alcohol's is the claim that they don't raise blood
    sugar which is true for some but false for many others.

    I've written up the low carb diet scams at
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/products.htm

    -- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
    hba1c 5.7 .
    Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

    Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've lost over 60 lbs by cutting out sugar, potatos, rice and getting
    my heart rate going in the mornings for 15 minutes.

    Last night I had snickers chocolate bar after almost one year and it
    was damn good. 🙂

    Feeling guilty and wondering where science has taken us lately I ran
    over to publixs and picked three popular low carb chocolate bars which
    are still in the wrappers.

    One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    the Nutritional Facts.

    Dumb question number one. Does a normal chocalate bar have
    normal/natural sugar acohols that are not reported?

    Is there a real science to creating and using sugar acohols or this is
    BS diet science?

    The real BS is mostly on Jenny's webpage. There self reported
    "scientific" findings on newsgroups by diabetics get substituted for
    controlled studies of normal subjects and extrapolated to everyone on
    LC. And we get to listen to a rant about all the calories contained
    in sugar alcohols, as if that were a big problem, when only a small
    fraction of the total calories in typical LC products come from the
    SA's. And when did calories suddenly become so important on LC?
    Doesn't seem they matter when they come from fat that has over twice
    the calories per gram does it?

    The fact is a study at Ohio State found that the very Atkins Advantage
    bars Jenny like to accuse of being a scam performed exactly as
    claimed. The blood glucose levels of test subjects in the study rose
    only slightly more after eating an Atkins bar than after eating a
    similar piece of chicken breast.

    Here's a prime example of the junk science I'm talking about:

    "But hundreds of people who have stopped by the
    alt.support.diet.low-carb news group to ask why their weight loss has
    stopped cold, discover that it is these sugar alcohol-laden low carb
    junk foods that have caused their long-term stalls"

    First, I've been on this group for years and I doubt that there is
    anywhere near that number of people who have come here and stated that
    they believed the SAs were responsible for stalling them. People
    stall for various reasons, many of them unknown. I've seen lots of
    people report stalls when they haven't eaten any products with SA's.
    Yet, as soon as someone reports they ate even a single product serving
    with SA's during the week, well that's conclusive proof for Jenny that
    the SA's are the cause of the stall. So they get added to the list of
    people who were stalled by these evil products. Never mind that they
    may very well have stalled anyway or that lots of folks, myself
    included, have used these products in moderation without negative
    effects.

    I encourage people to do some real research and reach their own
    conclusions.

  8. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:59:40 GMT, DigitalVinyl wrote:
    /snip/

    Quoted message said:

    I consider Chocolate to be amongst the basic food groups. :-)

    Well, caffeine goodies, anyway. 🙂 Really, these things have been used for
    so many centuries....

    The main constant in how I function, seems to be whether I have chocolate
    (unsweetened) for breakfast. 🙂

    Skinny

  9. 'Sugar alcohols' vary, and their effects are different on different people.
    I find them useful, so does Hannah Gruen and others here.

    Here is some info and leads to more.

    http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html
    balanced article on sugar alcohols

    http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm
    Dr. Atkins and the vendors of low-carb products are correct that not only
    fiber but also glycerin and polydextrose have little or no effect on blood
    glucose. The story with sugar alcohols, however, is different. One of the
    most commonly used sugar alcohols, maltitol and its syrups, does have a
    considerable effect on blood glucose. Two sugar alcohols, erythritol and
    mannitol, have no effect, and four others have some effect.

    Calorie comparison

    4.3 calories per gram glycerol/glycerine
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=calories+per+gram+of+glycerine&btnG=Search

    4.0 calories per gram white sugar
    http://www.google.com/search?q=calories+per+gram+of+white+sugar&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    3.0 calories per gram hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
    2.6 calories per gram sorbitol
    2.4 calories per gram xylitol
    2.1 calories per gram maltitol
    2.0 calories per gram isomalt
    2.0 calories per gram lactitol
    1.6 calories per gram mannitol
    0.2 calories per gram erythritol
    http://www.psha-inc.com/guai-support/sf/FAQ-HypoglycemiaAndLow-carbDieting.htms

    Glycemic Load (ie, effect on BG level soon after eating)

    18 for Honey (Canada)[GR]
    11 for Maltose[GR]
    10 for Glucose/Dextrose/normal sugar[GR]
    7 for 99% Malitol product[GR]
    5 for Lactose[GR]
    2 for Fructose[GR]
    1 for Xylitol[GR]

    0 for Glycerol/Gylcerine[M]
    0 for Polydextrose[M]

    Sources:
    [GR] GI /GL tables in THE NEW GLUCOSE REVOLUTION, p. 319
    [M] http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:56:47 -0600, Pat wrote:
    /someone wrote/

    Quoted message said:

    : One thing I noticed is how they are cleverly packaged to conceal the
    : the Nutritional Facts.

    Some are, some aren't. Makes choosing easy. 🙂

    /snip/

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know about the science involved, but I do know the bars will give
    you a certain amount of gastric distress. Don't stray from home after


    eating

    Quoted message said:

    one. You'll need to use the facilities, if you know what I mean.

    How do you know they will affect him that way? Will he eat too many? If they
    affected everyone that way, in recommended quantity, the manufacturers would
    have no repeat sales!

    Skinny

  10. "Jenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The only BS about sugar alcohol's is the claim that they don't raise blood
    sugar which is true for some but false for many others.

    I've written up the low carb diet scams at
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/products.htm

    Your reference to "diet scams" is a little excessive.

    The need to invent the term "net carbs" arises out of the bizzare
    decision by the US FDA to list indigestible food fiber as a
    "carbohydrate" thus for those individuals in the early stages of a
    very low carbohydrate diet the necessity to perform subtractions or
    look up books to work out the true carbohydrate content. Here in
    Australia we don't have to problem: the law seperates completely fiber
    from carbohydrate.

    Excluding polyols from the carb count and listing them seperately by
    specific type is the best solution.

    There are a variety of sugar alcaholes or polyols as they are known.
    Xylitol is one with a calorific value of 2.4 calories per gram (sugar
    4.2) with a glycemic index of 13. (sugar 68) It is a natural product
    found in strawberries, rasberries at about 1% by weight and indeed
    many other berries. It is even synthesised by the body. It looks
    like sugar, has no after taste and is equaly sweet. It stops bacteria
    adhering to the membranes of the body and has been found to recalcify
    adult teeth and prevent chronic ear infections in children. It has
    been in use for decades.

    " Sorbitol, lactitol and xylitol do not raise PG (plasma glucose)
    (17,19,21); however, maltitol and HSHs have demonstrated
    a modest effect on PG (2,22). In fact, chocolate sweetened
    with maltitol elicited the same PG response in normal subjects
    as did chocolate sweetened with sucrose (40). "

    Indeed we can add the newer commercialy available isomalt, erithritol,
    manitol to the sugar alcaholes that do not appreciably effect blood
    sugars.

    http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

    Here in Australia I occaisionally indulge in Cadbury "Lite" which is
    sweetened with isomalt and a little nutrasweet. I buy xylitol from
    the internet and use it in ice cream recipes instead of sucrose.
    (using traditional double cream egg custard based icecream recipes)

    (hint if you like dark chockolate then Lindt 85% is very low in carbs
    even if id doesn't cantain sugar alcaholes or artificial sweetners)

    So basically Atkins need to start removing malitol from their products
    and start substituting more of the other polyols.

    Incidently the fact that polyols are digested in the large intestine
    is sometimes the cause of dihorrea in cases of excessive consumption.
    It has its up side it is also a superb stool softener and can help to
    get things going.

    Enjoy!

  11. Thank you "Eunometic" for a well written summary of a confusing area. I
    really appreciate getting some documented information. And thanks to
    Australia for determining the glycemic index and load for a large variety of
    foods. Too bad we in the USA do not have equivalent efforts.

    "Eunometic" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The only BS about sugar alcohol's is the claim that they don't raise
    blood
    sugar which is true for some but false for many others.

    I've written up the low carb diet scams at
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/products.htm

    Your reference to "diet scams" is a little excessive.

    The need to invent the term "net carbs" arises out of the bizzare
    decision by the US FDA to list indigestible food fiber as a
    "carbohydrate" thus for those individuals in the early stages of a
    very low carbohydrate diet the necessity to perform subtractions or
    look up books to work out the true carbohydrate content. Here in
    Australia we don't have to problem: the law seperates completely fiber
    from carbohydrate.

    Excluding polyols from the carb count and listing them seperately by
    specific type is the best solution.

    There are a variety of sugar alcaholes or polyols as they are known.
    Xylitol is one with a calorific value of 2.4 calories per gram (sugar
    4.2) with a glycemic index of 13. (sugar 68) It is a natural product
    found in strawberries, rasberries at about 1% by weight and indeed
    many other berries. It is even synthesised by the body. It looks
    like sugar, has no after taste and is equaly sweet. It stops bacteria
    adhering to the membranes of the body and has been found to recalcify
    adult teeth and prevent chronic ear infections in children. It has
    been in use for decades.

    " Sorbitol, lactitol and xylitol do not raise PG (plasma glucose)
    (17,19,21); however, maltitol and HSHs have demonstrated
    a modest effect on PG (2,22). In fact, chocolate sweetened
    with maltitol elicited the same PG response in normal subjects
    as did chocolate sweetened with sucrose (40). "

    Indeed we can add the newer commercialy available isomalt, erithritol,
    manitol to the sugar alcaholes that do not appreciably effect blood
    sugars.

    http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

    Here in Australia I occaisionally indulge in Cadbury "Lite" which is
    sweetened with isomalt and a little nutrasweet. I buy xylitol from
    the internet and use it in ice cream recipes instead of sucrose.
    (using traditional double cream egg custard based icecream recipes)

    (hint if you like dark chockolate then Lindt 85% is very low in carbs
    even if id doesn't cantain sugar alcaholes or artificial sweetners)

    So basically Atkins need to start removing malitol from their products
    and start substituting more of the other polyols.

    Incidently the fact that polyols are digested in the large intestine
    is sometimes the cause of dihorrea in cases of excessive consumption.
    It has its up side it is also a superb stool softener and can help to
    get things going.

    Enjoy!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.