General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Still think the FDA Works for Consumers?

Started by Emma Thackery · · Last activity · 14 posts · 122 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 May 2007
Last activity
24 May 2007
Original author
Emma Thackery
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
122
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    Emma

  2. Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of
    this? I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    It's old news and has been discussed.

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  3. Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    There was an article on this in the Washington Post a few weeks ago:

    http://tinyurl.com/2vsbsu

    The "chocolate" would still have chocolate liquor in it but not cocoa butter, if
    you still want to consider it chocolate... I don't!

    Here's a link from the article:

    http://dontmesswithourchocolate.com/

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    Emma

    At present, to be called chocolate an item has to contain cocoa butter,
    the fat that comes from cocoa beans. The industry proposal would allow
    an item to be made with corn oil and other fats and still be called
    chocolate.

    The advantage of cocoa butter is that it melts right about at body temp,
    so it gives that great mouth-feel that is one of the nice things about
    good chocolate.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    Emma

    To send a comment to the FDA, go here:

    http://dontmesswithourchocolate.guittard.com/

    --
    Peter Aitken

  6. In article <eVu4i.6958$xV.6554@trnddc05>,

    wff_ng_7 said:
    Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    There was an article on this in the Washington Post a few weeks ago:

    http://tinyurl.com/2vsbsu

    The "chocolate" would still have chocolate liquor in it but not cocoa butter,
    if
    you still want to consider it chocolate... I don't!

    Here's a link from the article:

    http://dontmesswithourchocolate.com/

    My thanks to you and Peter for the information. 🙂 I've been so busy
    the last few days, I haven't had much time to dig for anything. I'd
    certainly agree that the presence of cocoa butter is an essential part
    of a quality chocolate experience. As I recall, the KCRW report said
    that this new regulation proposal resulted from pressure on the FDA from
    the candy & chocolate industries. And as usual in the last few years, I
    guess we can count on the FDA to come down on the side of hoodwinking
    consumers in favor of greater industry profit. We seem to live in an
    age where making a profit just isn't enough. Now, making a killing
    seems to have become the new norm.

    Emma

  7. Emma Thackery wrote:
    And as usual in the last few years, I

    Quoted message said:

    guess we can count on the FDA to come down on the side of hoodwinking
    consumers in favor of greater industry profit.

    As long as the ingredient list on the side of the package was still
    accurate as to which products contain cocoa butter and which contain
    vegetable oil, this doesn't seem like a top priority to me. Sure I'd
    like the labeling rules to remain the same, but it's not information is
    being withheld or anyone is being hoodwinked. People who care would
    learn to ignore the word "chocolate" in big letters on the front of the
    package and would further learn to pay attention to the ingredients.

    I'd be outraged if FDA changed its rules to say that it was O.K. to
    advertise "pure chocolate made with real cocoa butter" if that wasn't
    the case.

    --Lia

  8. Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    George W. Bush's FDA. They're not going to allow only "plant oils,"
    but hydrogenated oils. Another reason to hate Bush and everyone like
    him.

    Quoted message said:


    Emma

    --Bryan

  9. Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    George W. Bush's FDA. They're not going to allow only "plant oils,"
    but hydrogenated oils. Another reason to hate Bush and everyone like
    him.

    Quoted message said:


    Emma

    --Bryan

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Julia Altshuler said:

    Emma Thackery wrote:
    And as usual in the last few years, I

    Quoted message said:

    guess we can count on the FDA to come down on the side of hoodwinking
    consumers in favor of greater industry profit.

    As long as the ingredient list on the side of the package was still
    accurate as to which products contain cocoa butter and which contain
    vegetable oil, this doesn't seem like a top priority to me.

    Your scenario not only defies logic (and ethics) by legitimizing
    dishonest labeling but also places an undue burden by requiring the
    consumer to take extra time while shopping to read each ingredient list
    to determine if the label is even accurate or not! For multiple
    products, this could become very time consuming. Industry is banking on
    consumers not reading the labels.

    Moreover, ingredient lists do not tell you how much of an ingredient is
    in a product so the manufacturer, by the rule you would sanction, could
    put in the tiniest amount of chocolate possible and still label the item
    as a chocolate bar.

    Quoted message said:

    ...Sure I'd like the labeling rules to remain the same, but it's not
    information is being withheld or anyone is being hoodwinked.

    Since when is calling one thing another honest? Check your premises.

  11. Emma Thackery said:

    My thanks to you and Peter for the information. 🙂 I've been so busy
    the last few days, I haven't had much time to dig for anything.

    Not to worry. Janet B has been keeping us abreast of all the
    evil-doings going on in the food industry in your absence.

    -sw

  12. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Emma Thackery said:

    My thanks to you and Peter for the information. 🙂 I've been so busy
    the last few days, I haven't had much time to dig for anything.

    Not to worry. Janet B has been keeping us abreast of all the
    evil-doings going on in the food industry in your absence.

    -sw


    I'm curious, don't you want to cook with clean food, good food,
    uncontaminated food?
    However, if my postings weary or annoy you, skip me or block me.
    Janet

  13. Food Snob said:
    Emma Thackery said:

    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    Quoted message said:

    George W. Bush's FDA. They're not going to allow only "plant oils,"
    but hydrogenated oils.

    Well, really, the only way they are going to get any oils to be solid
    at room temperature, other than real cocoa butter, is to hydrogenate
    them. That's been my objection to this idea all along. Can you
    say, "trans fats out the wazoo?"

    They also want to allow whey protein concentrate instead of powered
    milk for use in milk chocolate. I'm not quite as bothered by that,
    but some folks are.

    As far as I can tell, they will still require a specific percentage
    of cocoa solids (I think the low end is in the 30-something percent
    range) and no subtitutes for this.

    You know, it's only been a couple years since they decided to allow
    us to call white chocolate by that name. Before that it had to be
    called confectinary coating or something, even if it was pure cocoa
    butter, sugar and milk solids. To them, the cocoa solids had to be
    present for "chocolate."

    Bill Ranck
    Blacksburg, Va.

  14. On Mon, 21 May 2007 23:27:06 -0500, Emma Thackery <[email hidden]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    Quoted message said:


    While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
    KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
    chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
    butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
    any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
    I have not heard it at all on the MSM.

    Actually, I posted the link to the LA Times article several weeks ago.
    Old news.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.