Sorry if this has been posted already. I thought it was cute.
EFR
At a computer in Ile de France
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
UK and Europe · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Sorry if this has been posted already. I thought it was cute.
EFR
At a computer in Ile de France
"Daniel Barlow" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:I found it interesting that he said "tool builders" and not "tool
users", though, given what lengths his company goes to prevent, say,
iPhone owners from building anything on them other than what Apple
decrees is OK (and the same is seen throughout the computer industry
to greater or lesser extents, with EULAs and so on). No bike
manufacturer anywhere prevents you from doing what you want to the
bike you own. *That's* a platform for tool building.-dan
Come on, Dan. If Jobs opened up the iPhone then he'd have a support
nightmare. The PC world has proven that beyond doubt. BTW, man is both a
tool builder and a tool user.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:56:34 -0400
Roger Zoul said:BTW, man is
both a tool builder and a tool user.
Who makes the tools to make the tools to make the tools ... ?
:-)
"Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
|
| Come on, Dan. If Jobs opened up the iPhone ....... BTW, man is both a
| tool builder and a tool user.
Builder and User are superfluous.
pOB
PoB said:"Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
|
| Come on, Dan. If Jobs opened up the iPhone ....... BTW, man is both a
| tool builder and a tool user.Builder and User are superfluous.
I disagree. Many lower primates use sticks and other objects found in
nature as tools, but do not modify or build them to any great extent.
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Artemisia said:Sorry if this has been posted already. I thought it was cute.
EFR
At a computer in Ile de France
Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.
Lewis.
*****
Mike Jacoubowsky said:...It
would be fun to come up with bike equivalents to such things as the
BSOD (Black Screen of Death).
For me, it's hearing that /crack!/ when tightening a stem bolt. (Haven't
done it in years...quick learner.)
Bill "and my death screen is blue" S.
"Paul M. Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:PoB said:"Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
|
| Come on, Dan. If Jobs opened up the iPhone ....... BTW, man is both a
| tool builder and a tool user.Builder and User are superfluous.
I disagree. Many lower primates use sticks and other objects found in
nature as tools, but do not modify or build them to any great extent.
But they were only given the idea by the big black monolith ;-)
In article <[email hidden]>,
Daniel Barlow <[email hidden]> writes in part:
Quoted message said:I found it interesting that he said "tool builders" and not "tool
users", though,
Whuddaya expect from an (erstwhile?) Unix guy? ;-)
Quoted message said:given what lengths his company goes to prevent, say,
iPhone owners from building anything on them other than what Apple
decrees is OK (and the same is seen throughout the computer industry
to greater or lesser extents, with EULAs and so on).
It's called "proprietism." At least, I think it is,
although I may have just coined a word.
cheers, & standards (and backward compatibility) are good,
Tom
--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Tom Keats)
Quoted message said:In article <[email hidden]>,
Daniel Barlow <[email hidden]> writes in part:Quoted message said:I found it interesting that he said "tool builders" and not "tool
users", though,Whuddaya expect from an (erstwhile?) Unix guy? ;-)
Quoted message said:given what lengths his company goes to prevent, say,
iPhone owners from building anything on them other than what Apple
decrees is OK (and the same is seen throughout the computer industry
to greater or lesser extents, with EULAs and so on).It's called "proprietism." At least, I think it is,
although I may have just coined a word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietism
Technically, the iPhone is not proprietistic. It does use a semi-closed
development-and-delivery model (how closed? Well, I have a copy of the
iPhone SDK, so not very).
OTOH, the philosophy of the iPhone as an app platform is primarily
(though by no means exclusively) to provide a first-rate mobile web
browser and serve apps as web apps.
Which, after all, seems to be the going thing these days.
Work just gave me a Blackberry,
--
Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
Paul M. Hobson said:PoB said:"Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
|
| Come on, Dan. If Jobs opened up the iPhone ....... BTW, man is both a
| tool builder and a tool user.Builder and User are superfluous.
I disagree. Many lower primates use sticks and other objects found in
nature as tools, but do not modify or build them to any great extent.
Crows are better at tool building than are chimpanzees.
Crows of New Caledonia fashion insect traps from leaves.
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0423_030423_crowtools.html>
This one made a hook from a piece of wire.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2178920.stm.
--
zk
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:PoB said:[Tool] Builder and [Tool] User are superfluous.
Quoted message said:Paul M. Hobson said:I disagree. Many lower primates use sticks and other objects found in
nature as tools, but do not modify or build them to any great extent.
Zoot Katz said:Crows are better at tool building than are chimpanzees.
Crows of New Caledonia fashion insect traps from leaves.
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0423_030423_crowtools.html>This one made a hook from a piece of wire.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2178920.stm.
Wow. Interesting reads. Thanks for the links.
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.