Road Cycling · Public discussion

Stephen Roche in Montreal-really!

Started by Bill C · · Last activity · 6 posts · 632 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 July 2005
Last activity
30 July 2005
Original author
Bill C
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
632
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Marlene Blanshay said:

    Apparently he is in town because his girlfriend (i guess he's divorced!)
    is doing commentary for Eurosport on the World Aquatics champs. So he
    showed up at the LBS where I bought my bike and where a friend of mine
    works, and a whole group went on a ride with him this AM. I didn't go,
    alas, but from all accounts he's a really nice guy and incredibly
    normal. They did take some photos and I convinced my friend to submit
    some to the Velonews reader contest. I may yet get to see the guy, he's
    in town (Riding a trek) for a few more days and I may see him riding
    around! One thing he commented on was the year he wore the Rainbow
    Jersey of Doom and he said he only got to wear it for like 24 days since
    he was injured half the year. He doesn't get to ride as much as he'd
    like although he has his own life of bikes.

    I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
    was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
    tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.


    Cool story Marlene, thanks for putting it up.
    Bill C

  2. Marlene Blanshay a écrit :

    Quoted message said:


    I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
    was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
    tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

    I recall Daniel Day Lewis right after winning his Academy Award saying
    that
    it would be the biggest party in Dublin since Roche won the Tour de
    France,
    and me thinking that none of the journalists at the press
    conference had any idea what he was talking about.

    -ilan

  3. Apparently he is in town because his girlfriend (i guess he's divorced!)
    is doing commentary for Eurosport on the World Aquatics champs. So he
    showed up at the LBS where I bought my bike and where a friend of mine
    works, and a whole group went on a ride with him this AM. I didn't go,
    alas, but from all accounts he's a really nice guy and incredibly
    normal. They did take some photos and I convinced my friend to submit
    some to the Velonews reader contest. I may yet get to see the guy, he's
    in town (Riding a trek) for a few more days and I may see him riding
    around! One thing he commented on was the year he wore the Rainbow
    Jersey of Doom and he said he only got to wear it for like 24 days since
    he was injured half the year. He doesn't get to ride as much as he'd
    like although he has his own life of bikes.

    I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
    was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
    tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

  4. Quoted message said:

    Marlene Blanshay a écrit :

    Quoted message said:

    I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
    was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
    tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

    I recall Daniel Day Lewis right after winning his Academy Award saying
    that
    it would be the biggest party in Dublin since Roche won the Tour de
    France,
    and me thinking that none of the journalists at the press
    conference had any idea what he was talking about.

    -ilan


    Yes, i can believe that. I wonder if DDL rides himself. Cycling has
    gotten even bigger in Ireland since then.

    AAlso hese days ROche spends most of his time between paris and Nice-
    sounds ideal! Didn't he win Paris=nice once? And he's friends with Sean
    Kelly who apparently, when he started working for Eurosport, nearly got
    fired because he would say almost nothing. LOL!

  5. Yeah... and now that he does talk you can't understand a flipping thing
    he says... The tour riders seem to spend half their time walking if you
    listen to him... Oh.. right... "working".. now I see...

  6. DepartFictif said:

    Yeah... and now that he does talk you can't understand a flipping thing
    he says... The tour riders seem to spend half their time walking if you
    listen to him... Oh.. right... "working".. now I see...

    I've gotten used to listening to him on Eurosport and I understand
    him.I've watched Rugby and gotten used to commentators with thick
    Afrikans accents and native welsh speakers who are just as hard to
    understand. You get used to it after a while. And then of course, there
    are americans....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.