Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

steerer tube spacers (between bearing cap and stem bottom)

Started by bigchili66 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,258 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 January 2004
Last activity
23 January 2004
Original author
bigchili66
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,258
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm seeking a more upright riding position. I've added a couple more spacers around the steerer tube
    to bring the distance between the bearing cap and stem bottom to around 1.5 inches. Is this too
    much? What is the maximum distance between these two points that can be safely added?

    Thanks in advance. Alonzo

  2. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:40:07 -0800, [email hidden] may have

    Quoted message said:

    I'm seeking a more upright riding position. I've added a couple more spacers around the steerer
    tube to bring the distance between the bearing cap and stem bottom to around 1.5 inches. Is this
    too much? What is the maximum distance between these two points that can be safely added?

    Steel steerer? There's probably no important limit beyond avoidance of looking wierder than your
    social circles will accept, as long as the top of the stem's clamp is still no more than 5mm above
    the top of the tube. If the tube's exceptionally thin, check with the manufacturer for their spec.

    On a carbon-tube fork, you would probably be at or past the allowable limit already.

    I'm not sure if there is a generally recognized limit for an aluminum steerer. I'd check with the
    fork's manufacturer for that. I would expect it to be like steel, though; no real limit beyond
    correct height at the top of the complete assembly.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:40:07 -0800, [email hidden] may have
    said:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've added a couple more. . .spacers around the steerer tube to bring the distance between the
    bearing cap and stem bottom to around 1.5 inches. Is this too much?

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:48:15 GMT, Werehatrack <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Steel steerer? There's probably no important limit beyond avoidance of looking wierder than your
    social circles will accept, as long as the top of the stem's clamp is still no more than 5mm above
    the top of the tube. If the tube's exceptionally thin, check with the manufacturer for their spec.

    On a carbon-tube fork, you would probably be at or past the allowable limit already.

    I'm not sure if there is a generally recognized limit for an aluminum steerer. I'd check with the
    fork's manufacturer for that. I would expect it to be like steel, though; no real limit beyond
    correct height at the top of the complete assembly.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, steel. Thanks again for the knowledge.

  4. Werehatrack said:
    may have said:

    I'm seeking a more upright riding position. I've added a couple more spacers around the steerer
    tube to bring the distance between the bearing cap and stem bottom to around 1.5 inches. Is this
    too much? What is the maximum distance between these two points that can be safely added?

    Steel steerer? There's probably no important limit beyond avoidance of looking wierder than your
    social circles will accept, as long as the top of the stem's clamp is still no more than 5mm above
    the top of the tube. If the tube's exceptionally thin, check with the manufacturer for their spec.

    On a carbon-tube fork, you would probably be at or past the allowable limit already.

    I'm not sure if there is a generally recognized limit for an aluminum steerer. I'd check with the
    fork's manufacturer for that. I would expect it to be like steel, though; no real limit beyond
    correct height at the top of the complete assembly.

    I'd be looking for a stem with more rise before adding any more than the current spacer stack. Is it
    a road bike or MTB? MTBs are easier thanks to wide availability of cheap high rise stems, and there
    are riser bars too which can add up to 3" compared with a flat bar.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

  5. On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:48:05 GMT, Kinky Cowboy <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'd be looking for a stem with more rise before adding any more than

    I agree.

    Quoted message said:

    the current spacer stack. Is it a road bike or MTB? MTBs are easier thanks to wide availability
    of cheap high rise stems, and there are riser bars too which can add up to 3" compared with a
    flat bar.

    Why not use a cheap high rise stem on a road bike? Is there a difference between mtb and road stems?

    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy*


    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:38:00 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    Kinky Cowboy said:

    I'd be looking for a stem with more rise before adding any more than

    I agree.

    Quoted message said:

    the current spacer stack. Is it a road bike or MTB? MTBs are easier thanks to wide availability
    of cheap high rise stems, and there are riser bars too which can add up to 3" compared with a
    flat bar.

    Why not use a cheap high rise stem on a road bike? Is there a difference between mtb and
    road stems?

    ISTR that mtb bars use a different size of clamp than road bars; mtb is 25.4mm, road is 26mm if I'm
    not mistaken.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Werehatrack said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:48:05 GMT, Kinky Cowboy <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    the current spacer stack. Is it a road bike or MTB? MTBs are easier thanks to wide availability
    of cheap high rise stems, and there are riser bars too which can add up to 3" compared with a
    flat bar.

    ISTR that mtb bars use a different size of clamp than road bars; mtb is 25.4mm, road is 26mm if I'm
    not mistaken.

    OIC. Well, a cheap high rise stem was easily found for my road bike, in the small LBS that I
    frequent. It's a 45 degree rise, 130mm stem. It gives me approximately 3", maybe a little more,
    certainly no less (I didn't make a huge effort to measure accurately).

    It's labelled "Dimension", and is from QBP.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:40:07 -0800, [email hidden] may have

    Quoted message said:

    I'm seeking a more upright riding position.

    Kinky Cowboy said:

    I'd be looking for a stem with more rise before adding any more than the current spacer stack. Is
    it a road bike or MTB? MTBs are easier thanks to wide availability of cheap high rise stems, and
    there are riser bars too which can add up to 3" compared with a flat bar.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

    mtb.

    thx alonzo

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.