rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Steel or Aluminium cranks?

Started by UnicycleJuggler · · Last activity · 6 posts · 279 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
14 March 2008
Last activity
15 March 2008
Original author
UnicycleJuggler
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
279
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently bent (more twisted than bent) my cheap'o steel cranks.
    I'm going to buy some new cranks (cotterless) but I don't know whether
    to get steel or aluminium ones. The weight isn't really an issue, more
    the strength.
    I know that steel has a better overall strength and won't snap, but
    they do seem to like bending. Aluminium is much more brittle meaning
    that they could snap but shouldn't bend. This is all experience from
    everywhere BUT unicycling! Hence why I am asking advice.

    What have people found to the be the problems with steel or aluminium?

    --
    UnicycleJuggler
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UnicycleJuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16722
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Steel is heavy. I used to use 125mm bicycle euro steel cranks on my
    coker and when I switched to lightweight qu-ax alumnium 125mm cranks
    the ride felt so much better.

    --
    siafirede

    'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
    Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Alot of the properties of steal can be changed by heat treatment, it can
    be made to be glass hard or pretty twisty. Read a few reviews on a
    variety of brands.

    --
    thejdw

    I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. I have bent both ally and Steel cranks. I had some of 'these'
    (http://tinyurl.com/24wg4l) and they bent after a while. Then when I
    switched to splined cranks I bent a set of 'these
    ' (http://tinyurl.com/7bmux). I think it depends on how rough you are
    with the uni. I land pretty harshly from drops, so thats probably got
    something to do with it.

    Edd

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    "I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us
    snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd." - Boogie

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

    "Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
    Unisteve
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I agree with the writers above that it's more about the quality of the
    cranks than the material. Back when Miytata was the best brand of
    unicycles, they came with these alloy IDOL cranks, which were awesome.
    Not that they couldn't be bent, but they did a great job for the price.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    Email: "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
    lately?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. I figured that it had something to do with me being a 'heavy rider' but
    I haven't done anything bigger than a 3set of stairs or a drop of about
    20inches.
    Thanks for all the posts. I'll have to look around and decide on what
    to do next from peoples reviews.

    Cheers.

    --
    UnicycleJuggler
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UnicycleJuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16722
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68402

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.