General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Steam your steak?

Started by Edwin Pawlowski · · Last activity · 33 posts · 1,326 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 August 2005
Last activity
25 August 2005
Original author
Edwin Pawlowski
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,326
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–33 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    People had the same skepticism about the first microwave ovens, they
    cost about the same too... now just about eveyone has at least one...
    and typical cost is under a hundred bux. At $1,300 a pop I don't think
    I'd be one of the first to try it but many people will (an awful lot of
    folks paid a Grand for the first TI LED watch). If this contraption
    proves itself it won't be too very long before supply will hardly keep
    up with demand and the cost will go way down.

    Like anything new, you have to show people and prove it works. Just seems a
    bit odd to steam meats and get anything resembling an outer browning. OK
    for veggies and fish though, even if a bit pricey.

  2. : Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    : > On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:54:05a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    : >
    : >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    : >>> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:38:46a, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in
    : >>> rec.food.cooking:
    : >>>
    : >>>> How about steam cooking?
    : >>>>
    : >>>> http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1539,00.html
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I cannot imagine this doing a roast or burgers or even chicken to
    : >>>> my liking. But it says it grills and roasts.
    : >>>
    : >>> Curiosity got the better of me. $1,299.00 is a bit steep, although
    : >>> the brochure says it produces "light and crispy frozen pizza"! Who
    : >>> could resist?
    : >>
    : >> Isn't that what the oven or toaster oven is for? 😉
    : >>
    : >> Jill
    : >
    : > I was under that same impressions. :-)

    : I would have to eat a hell of a lot of frozen pizzas to justify the price of
    : that thing. It's funny but from the description I don't see how it could
    : "roast" or "grill" anything, let alone produce something that is "browned".

    : Jill

    Steam is invisible, and is perfectly capable of browning quite quickly. When
    most people think of steam, they are actually thinking of steam that has
    already cooled and become visible water droplets. When cooks "steam" vegetables
    and other foods, they usually aren't using steam but rather the condensate.

    Read the advertisement again - it's "superheated steam" which can burn very
    quickly. If the product is engineered right, little additional moisture will
    be added to the food.

  3. Quoted message said:

    : Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    : > On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:54:05a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    : >
    : >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    : >>> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:38:46a, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in
    : >>> rec.food.cooking:
    : >>>
    : >>>> How about steam cooking?
    : >>>>
    : >>>> http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1539,00.html
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I cannot imagine this doing a roast or burgers or even chicken to
    : >>>> my liking. But it says it grills and roasts.
    : >>>
    : >>> Curiosity got the better of me. $1,299.00 is a bit steep, although
    : >>> the brochure says it produces "light and crispy frozen pizza"! Who
    : >>> could resist?
    : >>
    : >> Isn't that what the oven or toaster oven is for? 😉
    : >>
    : >> Jill
    : >
    : > I was under that same impressions. :-)

    : I would have to eat a hell of a lot of frozen pizzas to justify the price of
    : that thing. It's funny but from the description I don't see how it could
    : "roast" or "grill" anything, let alone produce something that is "browned".

    : Jill

    Steam is invisible, and is perfectly capable of browning quite quickly. When
    most people think of steam, they are actually thinking of steam that has
    already cooled and become visible water droplets. When cooks "steam" vegetables
    and other foods, they usually aren't using steam but rather the condensate.

    Read the advertisement again - it's "superheated steam" which can burn very
    quickly. If the product is engineered right, little additional moisture will
    be added to the food.

    Absolutely correct... steam is invisible... in cooking parlance
    "steaming" actually uses no steam (not candensate either), it's cooking
    with hot "water vapor". Pressure cookers cook with steam, but with
    *barely* steam (225ºF steam is pretty wussy steam). Whereas
    superheated steam can be about 600ºF... definitely capable of browning
    flesh quite easily, and super fast! Superheated steam is also
    extremely dangerous, it's used to run shipboard turbines, especially on
    nuclear powered ships. Were there a mere pin hole in piping containing
    superheated steam and some poor unsuspecting soul happened to stroll
    by, the invisible steam, under terrific pressure, would slice them in
    half before they realized they were dead. I know superheated steam can
    definitely cook... what I'm curious about is how this Sharp contraption
    accomplishes the task safely.

  4. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Absolutely correct... steam is invisible...
    definitely cook... what I'm curious about is how this Sharp contraption
    accomplishes the task safely.

    My though also. To achieve typical cooking teperatures of 300 to 400
    degress, the pressure of steam has t be 100 psig to about 160 psig. I hold
    an operating license for high pressure steam boilers. I don't understand
    how it can easily be put into a household appliance at those
    temperature/pressure ratios.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  5. On Mon 22 Aug 2005 05:54:41p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Absolutely correct... steam is invisible...
    definitely cook... what I'm curious about is how this Sharp contraption
    accomplishes the task safely.

    My though also. To achieve typical cooking teperatures of 300 to 400
    degress, the pressure of steam has t be 100 psig to about 160 psig. I
    hold an operating license for high pressure steam boilers. I don't
    understand how it can easily be put into a household appliance at those
    temperature/pressure ratios.

    I don't think they guaranteed that it would blow up! :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0534-0, 08/22/2005
    Tested on: 8/22/2005 6:20:11 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  6. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    dwåcôñ said:

    Sounds almost X-rated...

    But there is a famous burger joint somewhere in the USA that steams
    hamburgers... in Ohio maybe?

    Iowa has the steamed "loose meat" sandwiches. Can't get my mind around
    that
    even though a lot of people claim it's fantastic.

    I need to go back and re-watch that Hamburger documentary. It also featured
    Dyers in Memphis, the place that deep fries burgers in 90 year old grease.

    --
    These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
    http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka

  7. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 22 Aug 2005 05:54:41p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Absolutely correct... steam is invisible...
    definitely cook... what I'm curious about is how this Sharp contraption
    accomplishes the task safely.

    My though also. To achieve typical cooking teperatures of 300 to 400
    degress, the pressure of steam has t be 100 psig to about 160 psig. I
    hold an operating license for high pressure steam boilers. I don't
    understand how it can easily be put into a household appliance at those
    temperature/pressure ratios.

    I don't think they guaranteed that it would blow up! :-)

    I think they are violating the Laws of Physics(or advertising)

  8. Pixmaker said:

    yes, I know how to quote.

    I chose not to!

    So, there!

    *plonk*

    Brian

  9. yes, I know how to quote.

    I chose not to!

    So, there!

    Pixmaker inFLL
    ==========================
    It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
    ==========================
    (Think the humidity's bad?
    You should watch us vote!)
    ==========================

  10. dwåcôñ said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    dwåcôñ said:

    Sounds almost X-rated...

    But there is a famous burger joint somewhere in the USA that steams
    hamburgers... in Ohio maybe?

    Iowa has the steamed "loose meat" sandwiches. Can't get my mind
    around that
    even though a lot of people claim it's fantastic.

    I need to go back and re-watch that Hamburger documentary. It also
    featured Dyers in Memphis, the place that deep fries burgers in 90
    year old grease.

    When they relocated the restaurant that grease got a police escort to the
    new location! Dyers strains the grease every night and adds to it, but
    they've never dumped it. I can't figure out if this was because when the
    place first opened they were lazy or if they knew they were onto something.

    The trick to a Dyers burger (aside from the grease) is to use the leanest
    possible beef - they use ground round; anything fattier will fall apart when
    it hits the oil. The beef is formed into meatballs, about 1/4 lb. each and
    then very well chilled. When they get an order they flatten the meatball
    very thin, sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper and slip it into the hot
    grease. The burger is done when it floats.

    In 1978 I worked at an ice cream shop where the owner had permission to make
    Dyers hamburgers. The owner even gave him a little of the original grease
    to get started with. So I got to watch this process every day; it's a kick!
    Dyers also deep fries beef hotdogs; they are split down the middle *almost*
    through and deep fried in the same manner. They serve them on hamburger
    buns, 2 "open dogs" per bun.

    Jill

  11. jmcquown said:

    When they relocated the restaurant that grease got a police escort to the
    new location! Dyers strains the grease every night and adds to it, but
    they've never dumped it. I can't figure out if this was because when the
    place first opened they were lazy or if they knew they were onto something.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Jill

    That just sounds vile to me. Isn't it rancid?

    -L.
    <shuddering>

  12. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When they relocated the restaurant that grease got a police escort to the
    new location! Dyers strains the grease every night and adds to it, but
    they've never dumped it. I can't figure out if this was because when the
    place first opened they were lazy or if they knew they were onto
    something.

    The trick to a Dyers burger (aside from the grease) is to use the leanest
    possible beef - they use ground round; anything fattier will fall apart
    when
    it hits the oil. The beef is formed into meatballs, about 1/4 lb. each
    and
    then very well chilled. When they get an order they flatten the meatball
    very thin, sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper and slip it into the hot
    grease. The burger is done when it floats.

    I imagine if I choked down a handfull of chitosan and glucomannan tablets
    with some psyllium husk drink first, I could afford to eat like that every
    day...

    --
    Muff-So-Soft Shaving Cream
    For the smoothest female genitals...
    http://tinyurl.com/cwjya

  13. -L. said:
    jmcquown said:

    When they relocated the restaurant that grease got a police escort
    to the new location! Dyers strains the grease every night and adds
    to it, but they've never dumped it. I can't figure out if this was
    because when the place first opened they were lazy or if they knew
    they were onto something.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Jill

    That just sounds vile to me. Isn't it rancid?

    -L.
    <shuddering>

    Nope. The grease is strained nightly (as I mentioned) and then chilled and
    topped off with fresh grease (we're actually talking oil here; grease is
    apparently a generic term) the next day. The burgers are delicious and
    AFAIK no one has ever gotten sick from eating one.

    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1251
    and
    http://www.hollyeats.com/Dyers.htm

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.