General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Starting to seem like a long road

Started by Dropped 19 · · Last activity · 29 posts · 609 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 September 2004
Last activity
14 September 2004
Original author
Dropped 19
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
609
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

  2. Dropped 19 said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    If you have a before picture, take a current one and put them side by
    side somewhere where you'll see them a lot. That might help keep you
    motivated.

    Quoted message said:

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

    Wouldn't hurt. If you decide to work up to exercising regularly,
    you'll learn to love the measuring tape much more than the scale. So
    take your measurements before you begin. And hang in there.

  3. It is a long road. Persistence, a day at a time, breaks through the slow
    periods.

    For me, it helps to monitor carbs and calories in Fitday. The bathroom
    scale will not show progress every week, but, if you are eating with the
    proper rate of calories in Fitday, the weight will drop.

    Cubit
    311/219/165
    LC since 12/01/2003

    "Dropped 19" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not


    the

    Quoted message said:

    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

  4. Dropped 19 wrote:
    || I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for
    || me.
    ||
    || I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's
    || not the food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It
    || shouldn't matter.
    ||

    It could be 56 lbs instead of 36 lbs more to lose. Think about that.

    || I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of
    || weight and stuck it out through long stalls.

    It's not so hard if you starting thinking about the consequences of keeping
    that extra weight throughout your life.

    ||
    || i need to add excercise...

    Yes, exercise will help in many ways.

  5. From: "Dropped 19"

    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    20 pounds is 20 pounds. Be happy, be proud!

    Quoted message said:

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    Everyone is so different. Try not to compare yourself to others. Though I tend
    to at times. Not meaning to. Old habits. I see others as not having much weight
    to lose, and get envious. Then I am compassionte when and feel not so great
    when I see others as having to lose much more than me. I just keep in mind we
    are all different, that is what makes life, the world so amazing and fun!

    Hey, I feel the same way at times. I got a long way to go. I lost alot of
    weight from being sick last week. I put some of it back on this week. I have
    fallen off the bandwagon a few times, got back on it. Keeping on, keeping on.
    Yes, I get road weary too. Seems like a long way off at times. I keep in mind a
    picture of what it will be like when I reach goal. That helps.

    Quoted message said:

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    I havn't really stalled stalled yet. I am sure it will come, or who knows,
    maybe not. I know in the beginning, I lost so much more fast. Now its 2 pounds
    a week/when not sick. Road weary, Yes!

    The old saying.. Took time to put it on, gonna take time to get it off.

    Quoted message said:

    i need to add excercise...


    If you are physically able to. Sure. Myself-have a hard time exercising. All I
    can do right now is swim a little, do some light exercises and stretching,
    learned from physical therapy. I tryed biking, but I kept throwing out my left
    knee, and my lower back problems persisted. Since laying off the biking, the
    pain with my physical health has eased. So, I just am not ready. I do 5 miles a
    couple times a week. Slowly too, just to enjoy my surroundings.

    Take it easy in the beginning of exercise. Especially if you havn't exercised
    in awhile. Do something you find enjoyable. I like to dance to music. Exercise
    is like discovering yourself in ways. With dancing, I figured out, I love to
    sing. So been singing some in a Christian Rock Band.

    <

    Quoted message said:
  6. It is a long road and it stays hard after you attain your goal weight since
    you will have to keep your daily calorie intake pretty close to what you ate
    while losing to maintain.

    That's why it is so important to develop a way of eating that you can live
    with, realistically, forever. The truth of losing weight and KEEPING IT OFF
    is that for all practical purposes, you never go off the diet.

    -- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
    hba1c 5.7 .
    Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

    Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

    "Sunshyne" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    From: "Dropped 19"

    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    20 pounds is 20 pounds. Be happy, be proud!

    Quoted message said:

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    Everyone is so different. Try not to compare yourself to others. Though I


    tend

    Quoted message said:

    to at times. Not meaning to. Old habits. I see others as not having much


    weight

    Quoted message said:

    to lose, and get envious. Then I am compassionte when and feel not so


    great

    Quoted message said:

    when I see others as having to lose much more than me. I just keep in mind


    we

    Quoted message said:

    are all different, that is what makes life, the world so amazing and fun!

    Hey, I feel the same way at times. I got a long way to go. I lost alot of
    weight from being sick last week. I put some of it back on this week. I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    fallen off the bandwagon a few times, got back on it. Keeping on, keeping


    on.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I get road weary too. Seems like a long way off at times. I keep in


    mind a

    Quoted message said:

    picture of what it will be like when I reach goal. That helps.

    Quoted message said:

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    I havn't really stalled stalled yet. I am sure it will come, or who knows,
    maybe not. I know in the beginning, I lost so much more fast. Now its 2


    pounds

    Quoted message said:

    a week/when not sick. Road weary, Yes!

    The old saying.. Took time to put it on, gonna take time to get it off.

    Quoted message said:

    i need to add excercise...


    If you are physically able to. Sure. Myself-have a hard time exercising.


    All I

    Quoted message said:

    can do right now is swim a little, do some light exercises and stretching,
    learned from physical therapy. I tryed biking, but I kept throwing out my


    left

    Quoted message said:

    knee, and my lower back problems persisted. Since laying off the biking,


    the

    Quoted message said:

    pain with my physical health has eased. So, I just am not ready. I do 5


    miles a

    Quoted message said:

    couple times a week. Slowly too, just to enjoy my surroundings.

    Take it easy in the beginning of exercise. Especially if you havn't


    exercised

    Quoted message said:

    in awhile. Do something you find enjoyable. I like to dance to music.


    Exercise

    Quoted message said:

    is like discovering yourself in ways. With dancing, I figured out, I love


    to

    Quoted message said:

    sing. So been singing some in a Christian Rock Band.

    <

    Quoted message said:
  7. "Dropped 19" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

    You didn't gain it all in a few weeks, you will not take it off in a
    few weeks. Be patient and enjoy how better you feel eating low-carb.

    TC

  8. Roger Zoul said:

    Dropped 19 wrote:
    || I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for
    || me.
    ||
    || I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's
    || not the food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It
    || shouldn't matter.
    ||

    Quoted message said:

    It could be 56 lbs instead of 36 lbs more to lose. Think about that.

    Or 136. It may be a long road, but I'll tell you this - exercise and just
    plain getting more active every day is a really good way to make the
    journey more enjoyable!

    Dan
    325/211/180
    Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
    Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

  9. "tcomeau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dropped 19" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of


    weight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

    You didn't gain it all in a few weeks, you will not take it off in a
    few weeks. Be patient and enjoy how better you feel eating low-carb.

    TC

    it was a few months though - i was never fat till I had kids so i have only
    been fat for about 3-4 years. it sux.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Daniel Hoffmeister said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    Dropped 19 wrote:
    || I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for
    || me.
    ||
    || I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's
    || not the food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It
    || shouldn't matter.
    ||

    Quoted message said:

    It could be 56 lbs instead of 36 lbs more to lose. Think about that.

    Or 136. It may be a long road, but I'll tell you this - exercise and just
    plain getting more active every day is a really good way to make the
    journey more enjoyable!

    Dan
    325/211/180
    Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
    Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

    I'm starting to think it's not really a road or a journey though, because
    both those things imply a destination. Losing weight isn't about just
    getting to a certain number and ta-da you're done. You're never really
    done. To stay healthy you have to keep working at it forever.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  11. Dropped 19 said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

    Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Your body will adapt to the reduced calorie levels and slow down,
    meaning that you will have to reduce you calorie intake even further.
    You will end up being perpetually hungry.

    If you exercise, you build muscle and increase your BMR and can lose
    weight without restricting you diet so much.

    There are no free rides, exercise or be prepared to be miserable and
    permanently tired and hungry.

    Regards

    David

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not the
    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    It can be frustrating, that's for sure. Just think of how far you've come
    already, though! I was so disappointed when I didn't lose as fast as so many
    others seem to have. Of course, I'm not nearly as active and I have to take that
    into account. Still, I thought I would lose 80 lbs in 6 months based on what I
    read here and by my initial drop in weight. BZZZZZT! It took me a year to lose
    50 lbs and I still have a ways to go. What's interesting to me, though, is that
    I've been able to DO this for the long haul. That's mostly because my attitude
    changed. I learned through the stalls and just time in general that it WILL
    happen if I just stay the course. I think I STARTED to learn that after a few
    periods, where I would gain and knew that, no matter what I did, it wouldn't
    change the fact that it's water weight and I can't do anything about it -- BUT,
    if I didn't deviate from the plan, I usually dropped, anyway, once it was over.

    What I've also seen is my body changing, even when I DON'T lose weight for a
    while. Exercise helps a lot, of course. I guess the bottom line is that, while
    I still have a goal, I no longer have expectations as to WHEN I'll reach it -- I
    just know I WILL do so eventually, and in the meantime I'm VERY grateful and
    happy about how much better I feel. I often think about how, if I hadn't started
    low-carbing, I would STILL be 205 lbs (probably MORE).

    So, my recommendation is to keep your goal in mind and just enjoy and make the
    most of the journey :-)

    --
    Saffire
    205/149/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  13. "J. David Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dropped 19 said:

    I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for me.

    I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's not


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It shouldn't
    matter.

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of


    weight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    i need to add excercise...

    Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Your body will adapt to the reduced calorie levels and slow down,
    meaning that you will have to reduce you calorie intake even further.
    You will end up being perpetually hungry.

    If you exercise, you build muscle and increase your BMR and can lose
    weight without restricting you diet so much.

    There are no free rides, exercise or be prepared to be miserable and
    permanently tired and hungry.

    Regards

    David

    wow david - that's pretty hardcore. i guess you know exactly how everyone's
    body works? incredible.

    so far i am not miserable, tired or hungry and have been losing steadily. i
    will add what excercise when i can but - sheesh- really now!


  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    i need to add excercise...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Your body will adapt to the reduced calorie levels and slow down,
    meaning that you will have to reduce you calorie intake even further.
    You will end up being perpetually hungry.

    If you exercise, you build muscle and increase your BMR and can lose
    weight without restricting you diet so much.

    There are no free rides, exercise or be prepared to be miserable and
    permanently tired and hungry.

    Regards

    David

    wow david - that's pretty hardcore. i guess you know exactly how


    everyone's

    Quoted message said:

    body works? incredible.

    so far i am not miserable, tired or hungry and have been losing steadily.


    i

    Quoted message said:

    will add what excercise when i can but - sheesh- really now!

    What's hard core about what he wrote? It's true. You may not be "miserable,
    tired, or hungry" but you sure are whiny!

    Pat in TX

  15. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > i need to add excercise...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Your body will adapt to the reduced calorie levels and slow down,
    meaning that you will have to reduce you calorie intake even further.
    You will end up being perpetually hungry.

    If you exercise, you build muscle and increase your BMR and can lose
    weight without restricting you diet so much.

    There are no free rides, exercise or be prepared to be miserable and
    permanently tired and hungry.

    Regards

    David

    wow david - that's pretty hardcore. i guess you know exactly how


    everyone's

    Quoted message said:

    body works? incredible.

    so far i am not miserable, tired or hungry and have been losing


    steadily.

    Quoted message said:

    i

    Quoted message said:

    will add what excercise when i can but - sheesh- really now!

    What's hard core about what he wrote? It's true. You may not be


    "miserable,

    Quoted message said:

    tired, or hungry" but you sure are whiny!

    Pat in TX

    get real. i just said it seemed like i still have far to go, then i praised
    others for there good work. i mentioned i should add excercise.

    then this guy guy jumps in with "you are all doomed to be miserable, tired
    and hungry if you don't excercise"

    I don't think so!

    Which part exactly was whiny to you, and WTF DO YOU THINK YOU HELPED BY
    ADDING TO THIS THREAD?

    I may be cranky now but i am not whiny. :-P~~~~~~~~ phhhttttttt

  16. Quoted message said:

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.

    It's much easier when you consider it a lifestyle change, rather than
    something you have to slog through from Point A to Point B.

    I don't pay attention to 'how fast I'm losing' because low carb is a
    permanent way of life for me. I have lost 32 lbs between March and now
    and am stalled out somewhat at the "Final Fifteen". I am not paying
    attention to 'how fast'. It is the lifestyle change toward something
    positive that counts, and the fact that I feel way way WAY better than
    I ever have.


  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of weight
    and stuck it out through long stalls.



    From: [email hidden] (wilson)

    Quoted message said:

    It's much easier when you consider it a lifestyle change, rather than
    something you have to slog through from Point A to Point B.

    Low carbing Jenny, she is such a big help. She said the same thing, in reply to
    this thread and all. You know, honestly. It's taken me awhile to get that
    frame of mind. Its taken a lot of ups and downs. Falling off the bandwagon,
    getting back on. I finally realize, this IS the most important part of it all.
    It IS a Way Of Life, a Way of Eating. Its not just a diet.

    And another Duh for me.

    Ah well. Some take a little longer than others. Like me. Yet I pick up on all
    them little details along the way too. What triggers what, what will do what to
    my body. Either stick with it for life, or be miserable. Oh, the most
    important. No one is perfect.

    🙂

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Atkins since 1/17/04
    CCLL 40
    267/185/135
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As you free yourself from the past, your energy becomes available for the
    present.

  18. Quoted message said:

    Low carbing Jenny, she is such a big help. She said the same thing, in reply to
    this thread and all. You know, honestly. It's taken me awhile to get that
    frame of mind. Its taken a lot of ups and downs. Falling off the bandwagon,
    getting back on. I finally realize, this IS the most important part of it all.
    It IS a Way Of Life, a Way of Eating. Its not just a diet.

    Jenny is truly a life saver 🙂 She got me started!

  19. J. David Anderson wrote:
    || Dropped 19 wrote:
    ||
    ||| I lost another pound making it a loss of an even 20lbs. yippee for
    ||| me.
    |||
    ||| I only want to lose another 36lbs but I feel a bit road weary. It's
    ||| not the food, I am not bored - it just seems like it's far away. It
    ||| shouldn't matter.
    |||
    ||| I am so impressed with those of you who have lost large amounts of
    ||| weight and stuck it out through long stalls.
    |||
    ||| i need to add excercise...
    |||
    |||
    ||
    || Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Nonsense....some people can't exercise.

    ||
    || Your body will adapt to the reduced calorie levels and slow down,
    || meaning that you will have to reduce you calorie intake even further.
    || You will end up being perpetually hungry.

    Nonsense. By your logic, if the body as indeed slowed down, its need for
    food will have decreased.

    ||
    || If you exercise, you build muscle and increase your BMR and can lose
    || weight without restricting you diet so much.

    Exercise is not a guarantee of building muscle.

    ||
    || There are no free rides, exercise or be prepared to be miserable and
    || permanently tired and hungry.

    Hogwash. Exercise is certainly good and has a world of advantages, but it
    is not a requirement to lose weight. Exercise is advised, however, but this
    [censored] you're yapping about being miserble and perpetually hungry is pure
    [censored].


  20. Quoted message said:

    || Dieting without exercising is self defeating.

    Nonsense....some people can't exercise.

    "Can't exercise"? explain, please.

    Pat in TX

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.