Triathlon · Public discussion

starter triathlon in or near NC

Started by Carol S. · · Last activity · 7 posts · 584 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
30 November 2004
Last activity
2 December 2004
Original author
Carol S.
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
584
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone recommend a good starter triathlon (sprint distance) in or around NC.
    Thanks,
    Carol
    [email hidden]

  2. Carol S. said:

    Can anyone recommend a good starter triathlon (sprint distance) in or around NC.
    Thanks,
    Carol
    [email hidden]

    Depending on where you are, Clemson in May might work--see
    http://www.set-upinc.com/2001racepages/clemson/clemson.shtml

    I'm hoping to do it with my only goal to finish in under 2 1/2 hours. I
    will probably register in my age group rather than as a novice because I
    am 49. Or as an Athena, but I might not still be in that class by May.

    If you look at last year's results you will see it is a small event.
    Significant hills on the bike course, but not mountains.

    Pam

  3. Carol S. said:

    Can anyone recommend a good starter triathlon (sprint distance) in or around
    NC.
    Thanks,
    Carol
    [email hidden]

    Try looking at www.set-upinc.com after December 1. They produce a bunch of
    races throughout the Carolina's every year most of which have a friendly,
    low-key atmosphere. They are supposed to announce their 2005 schedule in
    December. I can personally vouch for the Parris Island Sprint in late March
    as a great first-time race.

    John

  4. [email hidden] (Carol S.) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone recommend a good starter triathlon (sprint distance) in or
    around NC. Thanks,
    Carol
    [email hidden]

    Check the set-upinc.com website, there are quite a few in NC, from the
    coast in Wilmington to the mountains in Asheville.
    To me the best beginner tri's are in Charleston SC. 1/4 mile
    freshwater swim, 12 mile bike and 5k, of course being Charleston there is
    not a hill in sight. The best thing about these is they do 4 a year all on
    the same course. This lets you can easily track your progress (or lack
    thereof) look up the Charleston Traithlon Club website.

    Dale

    --
    Take out my bike to e-mail.

  5. [email hidden] (Carol S.) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone recommend a good starter triathlon (sprint distance) in or
    around NC. Thanks,
    Carol
    [email hidden]

    You may want to check http://trifind.com/. Many races haven't posted their
    schedule yet, so you may want to check again after the 1st of the year.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Try looking at www.set-upinc.com after December 1.

    Thanks for all the replies. I have been to that site and also to
    www.trifind.com . www.set-upinc.com just redesigned their site and
    they now include icons that let you see the course terrain,
    difficulty, swim type, etc at a glance. I will shoot for one that
    shows and E for easy course rating!

    Pam in SC - I like your idea to look for one with not too many
    participants. The Clemson one you mention is a bit too far for me to
    travel (I'm in Chapel Hill, NC). I too am in my 40's, just aiming to
    complete one before the cutoff time, and am also hoping to shed my
    athena qualification :-/ Write to me if you want to compare notes.

    Carol
    [email hidden]

  7. Take a look at the Great Smoky Mt Triathlon site. There maybe some
    information there for you. I did one of their events a few years ago, it
    was very nice.
    http://www.gsmtc.com/links.htm
    jeremy

    "Carol S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Try looking at www.set-upinc.com after December 1.

    Thanks for all the replies. I have been to that site and also to
    www.trifind.com . www.set-upinc.com just redesigned their site and
    they now include icons that let you see the course terrain,
    difficulty, swim type, etc at a glance. I will shoot for one that
    shows and E for easy course rating!

    Pam in SC - I like your idea to look for one with not too many
    participants. The Clemson one you mention is a bit too far for me to
    travel (I'm in Chapel Hill, NC). I too am in my 40's, just aiming to
    complete one before the cutoff time, and am also hoping to shed my
    athena qualification :-/ Write to me if you want to compare notes.

    Carol
    [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.