General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Starch-cast, crystallized, chocolate-covered liqueur centers

Started by Bob (this one) · · Last activity · 7 posts · 412 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 December 2005
Last activity
16 December 2005
Original author
Bob (this one)
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
412
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Starch-cast, crystallized, chocolate-covered liqueur centers

    I made a bunch of these yesterday. Accidentally ate a few. They’re a
    pain to make, but dazzling when people bite into them and they burst and
    fill nose and mouth with the flavor and bouquet of the booze used.

    This measurement is critical: 1/3 cup liqueur, brandy, bourbon, or
    whatever alcohol, to every 2 cups sugar used to make the syrup.
    Otherwise, no sugar crystal shell.

    The starch needs to be very dry and slightly warm. Sift the corn starch
    and leave in a warm place (e.g. a gas oven with a pilot light, on top of
    a radiator with a cloth draped over, or whatever you have) for a day or two.

    Starch molds (the shape of the finished candy) can be any smallish shape
    you’d like as long as it can be pushed down into the starch and leave a
    good impression. I don’t get fussy with this, I use 1/2-inch dowels
    about one inch long that I’ve glued to a 1 x 4 board. I spaced them an
    inch apart in two rows. Some people use individual, unconnected shapes
    rather than the way I’ve set mine up as a mass mold. My advice is to
    press them into the corn starch further apart than an inch so
    already-formed mold-shapes pressed into the starch don’t distort or
    collapse.

    The traditional way to pour the boozy syrup into the holes in the starch
    was to block the hole in a funnel with the handle of a wooden spoon and
    let it drip from the bottom, a drop at a time. Too tedious. Now, I use a
    plastic squeeze bottle and drip it a tad faster. <http://tinyurl.com/95gmp>

    My starch trays are plastic containers that are 1 1/2 inches deep and 12
    inches square. To invert the candies as mentioned in the recipe, I put a
    13 x 13 piece of foamcore down on top of the tray, Wrap tightly with
    plastic wrap, and invert the whole thing. It can get very messy if you
    aren’t careful. Starch all over the place.

    8 - 10 pounds of corn starch.
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup brandy
    dipping chocolate
    Boil sugar and water to the thread stage (227°F). When temperature is
    reached, place pan in cold water to stop boiling. Let cool for 5
    minutes, add booze and cover with a damp cloth and a lid. Continue to
    cool until tepid (about 120°F). Use a box, cake pan, plastic container
    or whatever not more than 1 1/2 inches deep for a starch tray. Sift
    enough starch into the tray to fill it level across the top. Keep the
    rest of the corn starch warm. Press molds into the starch tray, spacing
    impressions far enough apart to not distort any push straight down and
    pull straight up to keep impressions sharp. Fill each impression with
    syrup very slowly almost to the top. Sift corn starch over the filled
    impressions about 1/4 inch deep. Leave the tray undisturbed for at least
    6 hours, better for 12 hours. A crystal shell will have formed at the
    bottom and up the sides of each impression. Candies must be turned so
    the hard shell forms evenly. Once turned, they must rest another 6 or
    more hours. Remove each center individually, dust with a soft pastry
    brush and dip into chocolate of your choice.

    N.B. Be very careful not to break the shells when dipping - it will ruin
    the remaining chocolate.

  2. Bob (this one) said:

    Starch-cast, crystallized, chocolate-covered liqueur centers

    This is downright fascinating. I'm going to give it a try this
    weekend. Thanks.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

  3. I'm with Reg on this - they sound amazing, not to mention the method.
    You wouldn't, couldn't, post a pix of your finished candies??? Did you
    use a very fine skewer to dip the centres into the chocolate? Did you
    decorate the top of the candies - I'm thinking a little crsystallised
    violet or similar.
    I wonder if it would be too hot here to make them - summer here in Down
    Under, 80'sF.... what do you think?

    Cheers
    Bronwyn

  4. More Q.s :
    How many candies did the above qty make, using your 1/2in dowell stamp?
    Maybe a skewer would break the shell, perhaps you used two small forks
    to just place it in chocolate and gently lift it out. Or.....place
    shells on rack and pour choc, over. Set, then dip bottoms in choc. to
    cover....?

    Thanks Bob!

    Bronwyn.

  5. Bronwyn said:

    I'm with Reg on this - they sound amazing, not to mention the method.
    You wouldn't, couldn't, post a pix of your finished candies???

    Didn't think to take pictures. They're all boxed now.

    Quoted message said:

    Did you
    use a very fine skewer to dip the centres into the chocolate?

    Hand dipped. Hold gently between thumb and forefinger, dip into
    chocolate and put onto wax paper to set. Chocolate flows into places
    where fingers touched it.

    Quoted message said:

    Did you
    decorate the top of the candies - I'm thinking a little crsystallised
    violet or similar.

    Nothing.

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if it would be too hot here to make them - summer here in Down
    Under, 80'sF.... what do you think?

    Probably so if you don't have air conditioning.

    Pastorio

  6. Bronwyn said:

    More Q.s :
    How many candies did the above qty make, using your 1/2in dowell stamp?

    60 (broke a few and ate some)

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe a skewer would break the shell, perhaps you used two small forks
    to just place it in chocolate and gently lift it out.

    They don't sink easily. That's why I use fingers.

    Quoted message said:

    Or.....place
    shells on rack and pour choc, over. Set, then dip bottoms in choc. to
    cover....?

    That could work, I think.

    Pastorio

  7. Thanks Bob/Pastorio
    Sorry for being a pest with all these Q.s....appreciate your responses.
    Could put the air/con to do this<g>. We don't have it on much - we
    are on a ridge and get lovely breezes in four directions.

    Thanks again. Maybe I'll make these when the weather cools down. I
    think I would stress out trying to do it before next Wednesday when we
    go away....

    Cheers
    Bronwyn

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.