Power meters · Public discussion

SST/L4 or who cares?

Started by Watoni · · Last activity · 7 posts · 2,068 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
22 January 2009
Last activity
23 January 2009
Original author
Watoni
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,068
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been breaking out the pm after some needed mental breaks this winter, and wanted to focus on SST given limited time/daylight.

    I did hill climb workout with the following results:

    10 minute warm-up
    29.5 minutes @ 95%
    descend and ride to start minute break
    17.5 minutes @ 100%
    1 minute break (thought I had to run back to work)
    10 minutes @ 95%
    descend and ride home 20 minutes

    So, total ride time of 1.5 hours with a TSS of 120

    I suppose SST should be more in the 90% range? I tried not to hammer but it is tough when there are carrots out there on the road. I would hope to do 2x20s harder than this, but not by too much.

    Thanks for any advice!

  2. You're asking how to classify that workout? L4. Sounds like a pretty tough ride if your FTP is correct.

  3. frenchyge said:

    You're asking how to classify that workout? L4. Sounds like a pretty tough ride if your FTP is correct.

    Thank you!

    That is indeed what I am asking and yes, it hurt but was not as hard as trying two 25-30 minute slogs at around 100%, which just slay me this time of year.

    I will try to stay more in the 90% range going forward!

  4. Yeah, I'd say that's a bit vigorous for sweet-spot training. Is that a workout you could do 2-3 days in a row?

    The key to sweet-spot is that you can greatly increase the volume by dialing down the intensity slightly. Longer intervals or steady tempo workouts, several days a week, that kind of routine.

  5. Watoni said:

    So, total ride time of 1.5 hours with a TSS of 120

    I suppose SST should be more in the 90% range? I tried not to hammer but it is tough when there are carrots out there on the road. I would hope to do 2x20s harder than this, but not by too much.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Well 120 TSS over 1.5hrs = an IF of 0.89, so I'd call that in the 90% range.

    Just looked like an L4 workout with a bit of extra time added. Nothing wrong with that. 😉

  6. Watoni said:

    I suppose SST should be more in the 90% range?


    Keep in mind that despite attempts to define a range for SST, it is a concept more than is it a defined range: http://www.fascatcoaching.com/sweetspottraining.html

  7. Alex Simmons said:

    Well 120 TSS over 1.5hrs = an IF of 0.89, so I'd call that in the 90% range.

    Just looked like an L4 workout with a bit of extra time added. Nothing wrong with that. 😉

    Thank you again for all the responses!

    Alex, about extra time 🙂

    Workout is as follows: ride 1.1 miles from home to base of climb, climb 4.2 miles, descend, ride another 0.5 miles to ride same climb using the park "shortcut," descend and ride 1.1 miles home

    It's the quickest way from where I live to do repeats ... now I just need to lose weight after the holidays.

    Tomorrow I might get to do 2 Mount Diablo ascents, which should get me at least 2.75-3 hours of climbing if done tempo/SST

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.