Quoted message said:Dear All,
I am a student at Staffordshire University, studying a
BA(Hons) in Product Design. For my final year I am going to be
designing a new spin bike (aka spinning cycle or group cycle), but at
the moment my knowledge is limited. Who better to ask, than people who
are into fitness or cyclists? So in my investigation I was told to use
the Google Groups for help. In my research I will be looking at
existing Spin bikes. So if people could reply with problems that have
occurred when using the bikes, I would be very grateful. An example of
this could be sitting on the bike, paddling, or the general style. This
would be a great help to me and vital research for the project.
Thank you for your time and hope to hear from people, soon.
I think UseNet is a fine resource to get *ideas* about different
designs. My health club has a maintenance contract for all their
equipment and I'm sure a company that does that kind of work could tell
you what breaks and how often. But those of us that use the spin bikes
have a better idea about what we'd change functionally. The only spin
bikes I've used are called Star Track V-Bikes, so all my comments refer
to them:
1. Most of the adjustments are good, but there is no way to adjust
saddle tilt - and they all feel too "nose down".
2. All the adjustments are made with individual levers which are too
short for a good tight clamp, and too long in some places to go all the
way around without being obstructed by some other part.
3. These bikes have the SPD/toeclip dual-sided pedals - probably the
best compromise, but I wish I could use my regular road shoes.
4. The grips are always sliding off the ends of the bars (slowly, over
many classes) - put an end plug in there that holds 'em on!
5. These bikes have a dial that adjusts the resistance on the flywheel.
It works fine but there's no indicator to show what resistance you're
using - there should be.
6. The feet don't adjust to account for uneven floors so sometimes you
get a bike that rocks around.
7. No place to put your walkman if you're riding outside of class.
I can think of a lot of things I'd put on a super-expensive bike, like
power meters and cadence sensors, but I figure these 7 items could be
incorporated into a reasonably priced machine.
--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/