General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Spiced cauliflower stuffed Indian bread (Gobi Paratha)

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 10 posts · 466 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2005
Last activity
13 September 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
466
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all:

    Here is a recipe for the traditional Gobi Paratha.

    http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=153

    Ronnie

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Here is a recipe for the traditional Gobi Paratha.
    http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=153

    G'day Ronnie,

    There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
    wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
    omlette?

    Twenty years ago I spent a few months travelling in the rural parts of
    southern India (from Bhopal south -- left Bhopal a couple of weeks
    before the chemical disaster there) and enjoyed the greatest omlettes
    I've ever eaten for breakfast each day for a couple of weeks while in
    Madya Pradesh. They were absolutely *delicious*.

    Of course, I should have made equiries at the time, but didn't. I've
    since tried to reconstruct the things, without success, and I haven't
    managed to stumble over a satisfactory recipe either.

    Any hints on how to make the things, mate?

    Thanks for your time.

    [Addendum: The latest Tudogs Newsletter is promoting a site for
    Indian recipes <http://www.indianchild.com/indian_recipes.htm>.
    Care to comment on their credibility? (they don't construct a very
    competent web page, FWTW!
    <http://www.indianchild.com/indian_spices.htm> 🙂 ]

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email hidden]

  3. Good day Phred,

    My recipe for Indian omlette is:

    http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
    You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
    pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.

    About the indianchild.com website, the recipes seem good for what they
    have, there are certain different recipes, but that is the way in
    India, depending on where the author is from, his ingredients and
    addition to the recipe would change. Yes, the website does need a
    makeover!

    I hope this helps you.

    Rupen

  4. [email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Good day Phred,

    My recipe for Indian omlette is:

    http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
    You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
    pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.

    Thanks for this. I'm always looking for different ways to cook eggs for
    breakfast. Instead of green chillies, would it be ok to use chile paste? I
    very rarely have green chillies on hand.

    Elaine

  5. Phred said:

    There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
    wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
    omlette?

    I would say there are as many general ways to cook an omelette in India
    as there are various peoples and regions, in addition to personal
    variations. Here is a Bengali recipe I posted some years ago,
    translated from _Küchen der Welt: Indien_ by Marcela and Bikash
    Kumar.

    Omelette in Curry Sauce
    Omlet Kari

    Serves 6

    6 eggs
    salt
    8 tablespoons oil
    250 g (9 oz) waxy potatoes
    3 medium-sized onions
    1 teaspoon turmeric powder
    1 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 teaspoon "sweet" paprika powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

    1. Beat the eggs and some salt.

    2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and pour in half of the beaten eggs.
    Make an omelette over medium heat, frying it for 1-2 minutes on each
    side, until golden-brown. Take it out and put on a plate. Make a
    second omelette the same way.

    3. Fold each omelette twice, making a longish roll. Cut each roll
    across in 6 pieces. Set aside.

    4. Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut in cubes of about 3 cm (1.2 in).
    Peel and chop the onions. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and fry
    the onions over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and some salt
    to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.

    5. Add 350 ml (1.5 cup) water and the potatoes, and bring to the boil.
    Cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the omelette
    pieces and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are ready.
    Serve with rice or naan bread.

    Victor

  6. In article said:

    Good day Phred,

    My recipe for Indian omlette is:

    http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
    You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
    pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.

    About the indianchild.com website, the recipes seem good for what they
    have, there are certain different recipes, but that is the way in
    India, depending on where the author is from, his ingredients and
    addition to the recipe would change. Yes, the website does need a
    makeover!

    I hope this helps you.

    Thanks very much, mate. I'll give your recipe a try. Thanks for the
    advice, and the comment on that other site. All the best.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email hidden]

  7. Thanks for this, Vic. Sounds like an interesting brew. The biggest
    problem with doing Indian cooking here is the lack of "bread" (naan
    etc., etc.) I suppose one *could* make it, but you really need a good
    stone oven to do it properly! :-)

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Victor Sack) said:
    Phred said:

    There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
    wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
    omlette?

    I would say there are as many general ways to cook an omelette in India
    as there are various peoples and regions, in addition to personal
    variations. Here is a Bengali recipe I posted some years ago,
    translated from _Küchen der Welt: Indien_ by Marcela and Bikash
    Kumar.

    Omelette in Curry Sauce
    Omlet Kari

    Serves 6

    6 eggs
    salt
    8 tablespoons oil
    250 g (9 oz) waxy potatoes
    3 medium-sized onions
    1 teaspoon turmeric powder
    1 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 teaspoon "sweet" paprika powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

    1. Beat the eggs and some salt.

    2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and pour in half of the beaten eggs.
    Make an omelette over medium heat, frying it for 1-2 minutes on each
    side, until golden-brown. Take it out and put on a plate. Make a
    second omelette the same way.

    3. Fold each omelette twice, making a longish roll. Cut each roll
    across in 6 pieces. Set aside.

    4. Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut in cubes of about 3 cm (1.2 in).
    Peel and chop the onions. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and fry
    the onions over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and some salt
    to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.

    5. Add 350 ml (1.5 cup) water and the potatoes, and bring to the boil.
    Cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the omelette
    pieces and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are ready.
    Serve with rice or naan bread.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email hidden]

  8. Phred said:

    The biggest
    problem with doing Indian cooking here is the lack of "bread" (naan
    etc., etc.) I suppose one *could* make it, but you really need a good
    stone oven to do it properly! :-)

    Clay, actually, if it is a traditional tandoor. Build your own (not
    clay)! :-) See
    <http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3012/page2.htm> for
    instructions. The link is from the List O' Links for alt.food.asian
    blacksalt posts occasionally.

    Victor

  9. In article said:
    Phred said:

    The biggest
    problem with doing Indian cooking here is the lack of "bread" (naan
    etc., etc.) I suppose one *could* make it, but you really need a good
    stone oven to do it properly! :-)

    Clay, actually, if it is a traditional tandoor. Build your own (not
    clay)! :-) See
    <http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3012/page2.htm> for
    instructions. The link is from the List O' Links for alt.food.asian
    blacksalt posts occasionally.

    Thanks for that, Vic. But I suspect I'll give it a miss. (Perhaps I
    *should* have said "you really need a good cook on hand ..." 🙂

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email hidden]

  10. Yes you can, it will be a little noticable difference, thats it!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.