General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Speaking of Peanut Butter

Started by Sheryl Rosen · · Last activity · 23 posts · 742 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 September 2005
Last activity
26 September 2005
Original author
Sheryl Rosen
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
742
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  2. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it.

    I've tried a couple and did not like the results. I'm sticking with Skippy
    chunk.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  3. Sheryl Rosen <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>
    : I would love to find a combo of reduced
    : fat and reduced sugar.

    : Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    : without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    : lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    : version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    : want.

    The fat in peanut butter is very high in monosaturates, the same
    factor that people are so excited about in olive oil. The ratios
    aren't as good as for olive oil, but they're nothing to be
    afraid of.

    Real peanut butter has no added sugar; you can get it without
    added salt, and I like its taste much better than the more common
    mixture using that name. It has nothing extraneous --
    no preservatives, no mysterious 'flavor enhancers', no stabilizers.
    The oil will separate and rise to the top, so you can get a low
    fat, but very hard to eat version by waiting a while.

    --thelma
    : Thanks....

  4. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    These days, I feel like that's the only place we can eat peanut butter!

    Quoted message said:


    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    I haven't tried this. It's the natural kind that you have to mix up
    before eating and then keep in the fridge, but Smuckers natural
    reduced-fat PB has only 2 g. of sugar per serving:

    http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=2&catid=11&prodid=109

    Without the added sugar, I'm not sure what this stuff would taste like,
    given the added maltodextrin. Anyone tried it?

    W/ natural peanut butter in general, the oil in can be a bit of a pain;
    I've found it easiest and best to dump the entire jar into a medium-size
    bowl, mix it thoroughly, and then put it back in the jar (using a rubber
    spatula to get everything out of the bowl).

    Hmm, I wonder if you could make your own reduced fat peanut butter?
    Take a jar of natural peanut butter, drain off (and reserve) some of the
    oil, mix the heck out of it as best you can, and refrigerate. It might
    be a little pasty/chalky, but heck...if you don't like it, you can
    always add the reserved oil back in.

    Frankly, I like the taste of partially-hydrogenated peanut butter
    better. It works better for cookies and sauces, too.

    As always, report back if you find something good out there, Sheryl!!
    Chris

  5. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy
    reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a
    little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better
    product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    A couple of interesting quotes from peanutbutterlovers.com:

    "'Peanut butter spreads,' a relatively new category now allowed by FDA,
    contain only 60% peanuts, but are nutritionally equivalent to peanut
    butter (although they may contain more sugar or salt). Many companies
    introduced peanut butter spreads as a reduced-fat alternative to peanut
    butter. But today there also are real peanut butters on the market (look
    for Laura Scudder and Smuckers) which are 25% reduced-fat and still
    contain at least 90% peanuts."

    "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich stacks up well against other popular
    food items such as a chicken filet sandwich, a hot dog, a slice of
    pepperoni pizza and a hamburger.

    A PB&J on white bread contains a lower percentage of calories from fat,
    less saturatef fat, and almost no cholesterol (the small amount is from
    the bread) than the other items. The PB&J contains more fiber and less
    sodium than the other items (with only one exception -- the hamburger
    contains 2 mg less sodium than the PB&J).

    All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    condiments."

  6. Chris said:


    Hmm, I wonder if you could make your own reduced fat peanut butter?
    Take a jar of natural peanut butter, drain off (and reserve) some of the
    oil, mix the heck out of it as best you can, and refrigerate. It might
    be a little pasty/chalky, but heck...if you don't like it, you can
    always add the reserved oil back in.

    One note about the "natural" peanut butters on the market that are
    "organic". Be very cautious about buying these products. Peanuts are
    notorious hosts for fungi, and organic peanuts are usually laden with
    fungal spores. Some fungi produce mycotoxins that can be extremely
    hazardous to your health.

    Peanuts are the one product I will always buy non-organic.

    -L.

  7. Chris said:

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy
    reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a
    little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better
    product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    A couple of interesting quotes from peanutbutterlovers.com:

    "'Peanut butter spreads,' a relatively new category now allowed by FDA,
    contain only 60% peanuts, but are nutritionally equivalent to peanut
    butter (although they may contain more sugar or salt). Many companies
    introduced peanut butter spreads as a reduced-fat alternative to peanut
    butter. But today there also are real peanut butters on the market (look
    for Laura Scudder and Smuckers) which are 25% reduced-fat and still
    contain at least 90% peanuts."

    "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich stacks up well against other popular
    food items such as a chicken filet sandwich, a hot dog, a slice of
    pepperoni pizza and a hamburger.

    A PB&J on white bread contains a lower percentage of calories from fat,
    less saturatef fat, and almost no cholesterol (the small amount is from
    the bread) than the other items. The PB&J contains more fiber and less
    sodium than the other items (with only one exception -- the hamburger
    contains 2 mg less sodium than the PB&J).

    All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    condiments."

    So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    and needs to be tossed?
    I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit darker in color now.

  8. " jdc1" <" jdc1"@san.rr.com> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    and needs to be tossed?
    I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit darker in
    color now.


    It will smell and taste rancid.

  9. Sheryl Rosen said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I've found most things labeled as reduced, low, or no fat to be vile!
    No fat cottage cheese is horrid and no fat miracle whip is inedible. The
    no fat sour cream has no texture or taste other than extra sweetness.
    Reduced fat motzarella cheese made with skim milk isn't too bad but it
    still isn't as good.

    Quoted message said:


    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    We use very little peanut butter, mainly for a batch of peanut butter
    cookies or to top rice crispy squares. I doubt we would go through a
    small jar in a year. Instead of buying it I just put peanuts in the
    blender and blend them up for fresh peanut butter with no sweetners
    added. IMO it tastes better than the preservative and sugar laden
    peanut butter you buy in the stores.

    Quoted message said:


    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....

  10. Sheryl Rosen <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>
    : I would love to find a combo of reduced
    : fat and reduced sugar.

    : Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    live
    : without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    : lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    : version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    : want.

    I buy peanut butter at a healthfood store; they grind it on-site, at the
    time of sale, nothing added. Most store brands have both sugar and more oil
    added. The biggest "problem" with fresh ground is, it doesn't contain
    emulsifiers; without the emulsifiers to keep the peanut oil in the peanut
    butter, the oil separates. This separation happens over a few days and can
    be beneficial if you want less fat in your peanut butter and don't mind it
    being a bit drier (you could always add something else to thin the peanut
    butter)

    --
    To email, replace Cujo with Juno

    x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
    x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
    x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

  11. On Sun 25 Sep 2005 06:28:49a, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Sheryl Rosen <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>
    : I would love to find a combo of reduced fat and reduced sugar.

    : Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    : live without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif
    : makes a lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced
    : salt/sugar version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and
    : that's what I want.

    I buy peanut butter at a healthfood store; they grind it on-site, at the
    time of sale, nothing added. Most store brands have both sugar and more
    oil added. The biggest "problem" with fresh ground is, it doesn't
    contain emulsifiers; without the emulsifiers to keep the peanut oil in
    the peanut butter, the oil separates. This separation happens over a
    few days and can be beneficial if you want less fat in your peanut
    butter and don't mind it being a bit drier (you could always add
    something else to thin the peanut butter)

    IIRC, Smucker's Natural is just peanuts and salt. It separates, but all
    peanut butters without emulsifiers separate. One solution is to mix it
    well, then refrigerate.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________________________________

    If [censored] could fly, this place would be an airport.

  12. Sheryl Rosen said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....

    I consider peanut butter a junk snack food (right up there with ice
    cream). With junk snack foods I really hate having to ration myself to
    what some government entity tells me is a proper portion... if all I
    can have is some miniscule amount then I really don't enjoy and may as
    well not indulge at all, and so I don't. Snack foods I typically
    indulge in on a daily basis need no rationing, I mean like who cares
    how many apples, oranges, and bananas they eat... I love summer fruit,
    don't think eating two-three juicy ripe peaches at a sitting ever made
    anyone obese. But I don't eat high fat junk snack foods very often so
    when I do indulge I eat as much as I like. It has to be at least two
    years since I had a jar of peanut butter in the house, maybe three
    years. I can assure yoose I probably finished it in 3-4 occasions like
    within a week (probably more like in 3-4 days), I can assure yoose I
    enjoyed it enough to last me years. I love chocolate, but if all I
    could have at a sitting was like an ounce I'd hate chocolate with a
    passion... when I do eat chocolate I eat as much as I like, could be at
    least a pound or three over as many days. The last time I ate
    chocolate was last Halloween... it's almost time for me to get my
    chocolate fix again. Another of my favorite junk snack foods is potato
    chips... has to be more than ten years since I ate potato chips but
    just yesterday while I was in the stupidmarket there was a big stack of
    Wise on sale (11 1/2 ounce bag/$2) and the urge hit me. Soon as I got
    home I opened that bag, popped open a two liter bottle of diet cherry
    soda and had a potato chip/pop brunch... real nutritious! Ya know, I
    could only eat about half of that bag and all of a sudden those potato
    chips tasted disgusting... tossed the rest into the yard for the
    birds... will probably be another ten years before I eat another potato
    chip. If I had to ration out two tablespoons of peanut butter I
    wouldn't eat any... I'd much rather indulge in ripe honeydew... grew my
    own and been pigging out on them for weeks now... yup, gonna eat as
    much as I like. Melon contains no fat at all.

    Sheldon

  13. Chris said:


    All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    condiments."

    Sheesh, any one of my cats eats larger portions... they weigh about 15
    pounds and sleep 18 hours a day... and you expect a grown active guy to
    exist on those POW rations... GTF outta here.

    Friggin' idiot thinks we're lab rats.

    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

  14. Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here
    is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.
    The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added
    in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced
    sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  15. Kat at [email hidden] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:

    Quoted message said:

    Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.

    Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    chest.

    I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    and expect an actual response to the question.

    Quoted message said:

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here
    is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.
    The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added
    in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced
    sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  16. "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    " jdc1" <" jdc1"@san.rr.com> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    and needs to be tossed?
    I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit
    darker in color now.


    It will smell and taste rancid.

    Yep. At best, it will not smell so much like peanuts anymore. This
    week I had a jar in my pantry that I opened in June. It was almost
    empty, but didn't smell quite right. It didn't smell *horrible*, but
    just not that good. I opened up a fresh jar of the same brand, and the
    difference was amazing.

    So I never buy giant Costco-sized jars of peanut butter anymore...we
    don't go through it quickly enough, and I'd end up throwing much of it
    away anyhow.

    8 months? Chuck it and get a new, small jar.

  17. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on
    this
    subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't.
    Whatever.
    I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question
    here
    and expect an actual response to the question.

    Ulp. I suppose next time I won't bother with an actual response.

  18. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here


    is

    Quoted message said:

    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is


    that

    Quoted message said:

    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.


    The

    Quoted message said:

    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added


    in

    Quoted message said:

    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced


    sodium

    Quoted message said:

    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to


    live

    Quoted message said:

    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    I only buy Laura Scudder's peanut butter. Have forever too. Skippy and
    Jiff are peanut butter flavored spreads. LS is as they say, peanuts and
    salt - that's all. Just stir it well, and store it in the fridge. The oil
    won't seperate that way. My favorite is the crunchy style.

    Paul

  19. Sheryl Rosen said:

    Kat at [email hidden] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:

    Quoted message said:

    Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.

    Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    chest.

    I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    and expect an actual response to the question.

    I doubt it. More likely since you asked a question and then spanked
    someone for trying to provide a helpful answer, people will just start
    ignoring you again. HTH :-)

    Best regards,
    Bob

  20. zxcvbob at [email hidden] wrote on 9/25/05 7:33 PM:

    Quoted message said:
    Sheryl Rosen said:

    Kat at [email hidden] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:

    Quoted message said:

    Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.

    Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    chest.

    I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    and expect an actual response to the question.

    I doubt it. More likely since you asked a question and then spanked
    someone for trying to provide a helpful answer, people will just start
    ignoring you again. HTH :-)

    Best regards,
    Bob

    How is "We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just
    nasty." a helpful answer to the question "is there a peanut butter that
    combines the lower sugar/lower salt aspect of Simply Jif with the reduced
    fat of Skippy Reduced fat?, because the reduced fat stuff is just too sweet
    for me"? It's not helpful at all.

    It should have been clear from the post that I was referring to processed
    peanut butter. I mentioned 2 of the 3 major brands. If the answer is no,
    then it's no.

    You people are too busy arguing over inanities like whether peanut butter
    should be allowed in public places, or the merits of changing your screen
    name, and why has tv news gotten so bad, to bother to read anything well
    enough to be able to comprehend what's being written.

    Like I said, I shoulda known better.
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.