UK and Europe · Public discussion

SPDs - cramp in my feet

Started by Doki · · Last activity · 10 posts · 971 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 June 2007
Last activity
28 June 2007
Original author
Doki
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
971
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a set of Time ATAC pedals, not sure which exact model, one of the
    "freeride" ones which has a bit of a platform as well as a clip for the
    cleat (FWIW, they're a complete marketing con - the platform offers
    absolutely no grip when riding in normal shoes due to the clips and the lack
    of bitey bits that take chunks out of your shins on normal pedals).

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've not
    been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a while.
    Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden with the
    SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes. Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to
    alleviate this or should I just go back to flats?

    I quite like the power gained from being clipped in after riding my road
    bike with clips and straps for a year or two, but I'm unconvinced of the
    practicality of them on a mountain bike, given my tendency to fall off. And
    the cramp is bloody horrific.

  2. Doki said:

    I've got a set of Time ATAC pedals, not sure which exact model, one of
    the "freeride" ones which has a bit of a platform as well as a clip for
    the cleat (FWIW, they're a complete marketing con - the platform offers
    absolutely no grip when riding in normal shoes due to the clips and the
    lack of bitey bits that take chunks out of your shins on normal pedals).

    Though I've never seen them marketed as for riding without cleated
    shoes, just to give a better platform for someone clipped in as an
    alternative to the bigger cleats of road shoes that one can't
    actually walk in too well. So I'm not sure it's a con, just that
    the reason they're marketed and your reasons for getting them were
    possibly different.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've
    not been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a
    while. Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden
    with the SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just
    got in from a 6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing
    cold and still painful for a good five minutes. Anyone got any ideas as
    to what I can do to alleviate this or should I just go back to flats?

    No particular reason the pedal will give you cramp springs to mind,
    so I'd say try a different pair of shoes.

    Quoted message said:

    I quite like the power gained from being clipped in after riding my road
    bike with clips and straps for a year or two, but I'm unconvinced of the
    practicality of them on a mountain bike, given my tendency to fall off.

    But at least your feet don't fly off at speed, which is potentially
    much nastier than keeling over at 0 mph. More power and control
    also reduces your chance of falling off to start with.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. "Doki" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've
    not been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a
    while. Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden
    with the SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet.


    I got the Lidl shoes too and initially found I had a bit of a tendancy to
    get foot cramp after riding. I reckoned that it was due to the fact that
    these shoes had flexible soles whereas the road shoes I was more used to
    were rigid. I've moved the cleat further forward on the Lidl shoes, the
    default position was too far back towards my arch and I don't suffer any
    problems now plus I can wear the Lidl shoes pretty much like normal
    trainers. (not bad for £12.99)

    Cheers
    Jim J

  4. Jim said:

    "Doki" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've
    not been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a
    while. Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden
    with the SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet.


    I got the Lidl shoes too and initially found I had a bit of a tendancy to
    get foot cramp after riding. I reckoned that it was due to the fact that
    these shoes had flexible soles whereas the road shoes I was more used to
    were rigid. I've moved the cleat further forward on the Lidl shoes, the
    default position was too far back towards my arch and I don't suffer any
    problems now plus I can wear the Lidl shoes pretty much like normal
    trainers. (not bad for £12.99)

    Mine seem to be OK too, although I haven't ridden any long distances
    with them. Cleats are in the same position as my lighter shoes. I use
    Time Axion & Time Alium pedals.

  5. Doki said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've not
    been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a while.
    Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden with the
    SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes. Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to
    alleviate this or should I just go back to flats?

    FWIW, I get a fairly strong pain in my left foot immediately when I
    stand on it (off bike) with SPD shoes that I bought. I couldn't figure
    out what caused the pain, I tried on a different brand of shoes recently
    in a store: totally pain free. Both are reputable brands and models,
    both cost about the same, both fit well.

    --
    Membrane

  6. Doki said:

    I've got a set of Time ATAC pedals, not sure which exact model, one
    of the "freeride" ones which has a bit of a platform as well as a
    clip for the cleat (FWIW, they're a complete marketing con - the
    platform offers absolutely no grip when riding in normal shoes due to
    the clips and the lack of bitey bits that take chunks out of your
    shins on normal pedals).
    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes.
    I've not been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for
    quite a while. Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed,
    I've ridden with the SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in
    my feet. Just got in from a 6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet
    felt freezing cold and still painful for a good five minutes. Anyone
    got any ideas as to what I can do to alleviate this or should I just
    go back to flats?
    I quite like the power gained from being clipped in after riding my
    road bike with clips and straps for a year or two, but I'm
    unconvinced of the practicality of them on a mountain bike, given my
    tendency to fall off. And the cramp is bloody horrific.

    I get that a little - are the shoes quite tight across the top of your foot?

    (I used to get this problem a lot when snowboarding - I've since had custom
    insoles made to stop the boot lace from 'splaying' out my feet..... the
    cramps went!)

  7. Quoted message said:

    Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes.

    Are the feet getting cold from lack of blood flow (shoes too tight) or from
    chilly air being blasted at them? Overshoes will prevent the latter.
    Sandwich bags over the socks are a cheapy alternative that work.

  8. Doki said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've not
    been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a while.
    Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden with the
    SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes.

    If your feet are that cold then I wonder if the shoes are too tight
    and are restricting blood flow? I know it took a while for my SPD
    shows to loosen up a bit; prior to that I had to slacken off the laces
    after a while to restore a bit of feeling. Whether tightness would
    cause cramp or not, no idea. But it might be a factor.

    Colin

  9. Colin MacDonald said:
    Doki said:

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've not
    been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a while.
    Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden with the
    SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes.

    If your feet are that cold then I wonder if the shoes are too tight
    and are restricting blood flow? I know it took a while for my SPD
    shows to loosen up a bit; prior to that I had to slacken off the laces
    after a while to restore a bit of feeling. Whether tightness would
    cause cramp or not, no idea. But it might be a factor.

    Yes there is no way that your feet should be getting cold at this time
    of year. I don't think loosening the laces will be enough, it sounds
    like new shows are needed. Ones with a firm sole and Ones that fit.

    Quoted message said:

    Colin

  10. Doki said:

    I've got a set of Time ATAC pedals, not sure which exact model, one of the
    "freeride" ones which has a bit of a platform as well as a clip for the
    cleat (FWIW, they're a complete marketing con - the platform offers
    absolutely no grip when riding in normal shoes due to the clips and the lack
    of bitey bits that take chunks out of your shins on normal pedals).

    Anyway, I'm using them, set to maximum float, and Lidl's SPD shoes. I've not
    been on many rides with them, as the bike's been broken for quite a while.
    Anyway, both before and after getting the bike fixed, I've ridden with the
    SPDs, and every time I've ended up with cramp in my feet. Just got in from a
    6 or 7 mile ride on the road and my feet felt freezing cold and still
    painful for a good five minutes. Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to
    alleviate this or should I just go back to flats?

    I quite like the power gained from being clipped in after riding my road
    bike with clips and straps for a year or two, but I'm unconvinced of the
    practicality of them on a mountain bike, given my tendency to fall off. And
    the cramp is bloody horrific.

    I love my SPDs on my mountain bike and would never be without them.
    I've got them set to release without much pressure, enough to keep my
    feet in the pedals on rough terrian, but its easy enough to pull out
    of them when I need to dab.

    For my commuter bike I find that SPDs give me that extra edge when
    climbing hills, but I quite often ride with normal shoes, so on that
    bike I've got a set of pedals which are a normal metal cage on one
    side, and a cleat on the other side. Shimano M324. The cage side has
    some fairly agressive pointy bits on it so it stil sticks well to off
    road shoes.

    The other option, is that most shimano double sided pedals that don't
    have a cage come with a black piece of rubber that clips into the
    pedal to make one side of it flat.

    I'm not sure what's causing the cramping problem, I used to get sore
    knees when I rode without SPDs until I re-positioned the cleats on my
    shoes so that my feet weren't being twisted inwards. You could give
    that a try.

    Ptigga

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.