UK and Europe · Public discussion

SPDs and falling off!

Started by Keith Midgley · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,232 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 October 2005
Last activity
16 October 2005
Original author
Keith Midgley
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,232
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tony Raven <[email hidden]> sd / msg
    <[email hidden]> dtd Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:09:23 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    When I were a wee lad our family car was the original Bond. The front
    wheel would turn 360 so reverse was turn the wheel backwards and engage
    first gear! On (not so) steep hills we would all have to get out and
    walk up as it wouldn't make it with the weight of us all. Eventually my
    sister and I grew so that our knees were hitting (the rear seats were
    sideways) so it was traded in for a Fiat 500 which had more room!

    I recall that in my formative years the family Mini van had a battery
    which was long past its sell-by date. On any morning with
    temperatures below balmy it required bump-starting, and sisters and I
    would then pile into a slowly-moving van through the front passenger
    door.

    Years later I took the van (with the same battery) to Uni, and
    routinely had to bump it in the car park (Tony, Bencraft Court, next
    to the Crem on Bassett Green Road), which had a convenient slope for
    the purpose. Push out of parking space, turn down hill, shove gently
    to get rolling, hop in, wait for speed to build up, select first, drop
    clutch, and the engine always caught first time. No problem, and
    years of experience had left me thinking this was, if not perhaps
    perfectly normal, at least not especially unusual.

    One day I did this and Reiner Schmitz, the girlfriend-stealing runty
    German with the V6 Capri automatic, laughed at me. As I turned round
    he got in his car, turned the key and... Nothing. Can you bump an
    automatic? No. Was I in too much of a hurry to stop and help? So it
    was stated at the time, m'lud, but my memory is clouded now*. Net
    result: exeunt Chapman stage right laughing and waving.

    I have a picture of that old van here somewhere... Ah yes:
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Harold_the_Barrel>.
    I think that might also reveal something about my taste in music
    (although I freely admit that the van has never, to my knowledge, been
    to Bognor, let alone owned a restaurant there).

    * Is it bollocks! I had loads of time :-)

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  2. Just zis Guy said:

    I have a picture of that old van here somewhere... Ah yes:
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Harold_the_Barrel>.
    I think that might also reveal something about my taste in music
    (although I freely admit that the van has never, to my knowledge, been
    to Bognor, let alone owned a restaurant there).

    Did it have the pressed steel grille? A real challenge when you wanted
    to change the oil filter

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  3. Tony Raven <[email hidden]> sd / msg
    <[email hidden]> dtd Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:47:30 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a picture of that old van here somewhere... Ah yes:
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Harold_the_Barrel>.
    I think that might also reveal something about my taste in music
    (although I freely admit that the van has never, to my knowledge, been
    to Bognor, let alone owned a restaurant there).

    Quoted message said:

    Did it have the pressed steel grille? A real challenge when you wanted
    to change the oil filter

    By the time PCH Chidzhey and his Cortina had finished with it it had a
    plastic flip-front - very easy access for everything in front of the
    lump and engine-out in 20 minutes for the rest.

    But the old van had the pressed steel grille (also the
    replaceable-element filter, which was accessible from below OK; it was
    the cartridge type which was the real pain IIRC).

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  4. On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:35:25 +0100, "Tony W" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Kenneth Miles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Keith Midgley said:

    I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for
    sometime
    but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
    "falling off".

    I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
    fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further
    embarrassment
    in the future?

    Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

    When you are used to them and think you wont fall off again, thats when
    you will.

    Oh yes!!

    Thought that might be the case. I think Fridays fall was from an excess of
    confidence :-(

    K.

  5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Raven <[email hidden]> sd / msg
    <[email hidden]> dtd Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:09:23 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    When I were a wee lad our family car was the original Bond. The front
    wheel would turn 360 so reverse was turn the wheel backwards and engage
    first gear! On (not so) steep hills we would all have to get out and
    walk up as it wouldn't make it with the weight of us all. Eventually my
    sister and I grew so that our knees were hitting (the rear seats were
    sideways) so it was traded in for a Fiat 500 which had more room!

    I recall that in my formative years the family Mini van had a battery
    which was long past its sell-by date. On any morning with
    temperatures below balmy it required bump-starting, and sisters and I
    would then pile into a slowly-moving van through the front passenger
    door.

    Years later I took the van (with the same battery) to Uni, and
    routinely had to bump it in the car park (Tony, Bencraft Court, next
    to the Crem on Bassett Green Road), which had a convenient slope for
    the purpose. Push out of parking space, turn down hill, shove gently
    to get rolling, hop in, wait for speed to build up, select first, drop
    clutch, and the engine always caught first time. No problem, and
    years of experience had left me thinking this was, if not perhaps
    perfectly normal, at least not especially unusual.

    One day I did this and Reiner Schmitz, the girlfriend-stealing runty
    German with the V6 Capri automatic, laughed at me. As I turned round
    he got in his car, turned the key and... Nothing. Can you bump an
    automatic? No. Was I in too much of a hurry to stop and help? So it
    was stated at the time, m'lud, but my memory is clouded now*. Net
    result: exeunt Chapman stage right laughing and waving.

    I have a picture of that old van here somewhere... Ah yes:
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Harold_the_Barrel>.
    I think that might also reveal something about my taste in music
    (although I freely admit that the van has never, to my knowledge, been
    to Bognor, let alone owned a restaurant there).

    * Is it bollocks! I had loads of time :-)

    Ummm. Remember BGR but not Bencraft Court -- but then I was in Soton some
    years earlier.

    Ran a Mk 2 Cortina with a dead battery for several weeks by judicious
    parking at the tops of slopes.

    My mini van (clubman estate actually) was wonderful. Took an entire
    electronics lab and kit for a three month stay plus two girls (for a 10 day
    stay) to Luneberg and still had room for -- well not much actually. It
    could swallow copious amounts of jumble -- including large chairs that would
    not fit in a big Rover owned by she who organised jumbles'

    Cycling content zero :~(

    T

  6. "Keith Midgley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Thought that might be the case. I think Fridays fall was from an excess of
    confidence :-(

    They always say that pride comes before the fall.

  7. Quoted message said:

    I've never done it! I have them fairly loose so they pull out quite
    easily.
    I've got flat/spd reversible - it's quite handy if I want to belt off
    to the shop when I'm wearing wellies etc.

    Me too. They're on the loosest setting. Mine are also mtb spd pedals so
    unclip pretty much any way you turn your foot (but curiously only twice
    when riding, and one of those times I was trying to bunnyhop). When I
    forget to unclip (and of course I forget all the time) a yank of the foot
    gets 'em out every time.

    I am of course dead when I wear my new shoes without the mtb clips :-/

  8. Tony Raven said:

    Did it have the pressed steel grille? A real challenge when you wanted to
    change the oil filter

    Arrghh I'd forgotten about that! Yes a Mini Van was my first "car" too.
    Later though I've always reckoned that if you can fettle a Mini,
    especially one with twin carbs and an LCB exhaust, you'll have developed
    double-jointed fingers and a sense of bolt/nut rotation that will work
    upside down, with your left hand, and that tied behind your back. Bicycles
    are soooooo easy by comparison. Well you can _see_ all of it for a start!

    Mike

  9. Mike Causer wrote:
    Yes a Mini Van was my first "car" too.

    Quoted message said:

    Later though I've always reckoned that if you can fettle a Mini,
    especially one with twin carbs and an LCB exhaust, you'll have developed
    double-jointed fingers and a sense of bolt/nut rotation that will work
    upside down, with your left hand, and that tied behind your back. Bicycles
    are soooooo easy by comparison. Well you can _see_ all of it for a start!

    With a bike you're also much less likely to cause yourself a painful and
    embarrassing injury by connecting your metal expander watchstrap to the
    HT lead with a steel screwdriver as I once did under the bonnet of my
    first mini :-(

    --
    Brian G

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.