Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

SPD to be or not to be....

Started by Maria Nilsson · · Last activity · 13 posts · 769 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
25 April 2004
Last activity
28 April 2004
Original author
Maria Nilsson
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
769
Views / 30 days
1
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

  2. "Maria Nilsson" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

    Do it. Just do it, there is nothing to be afraid of

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  3. Maria Nilsson said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

    Maria if new shoes and pedal are within your budget, then
    yes go ahead and switch to clipless riding. You may have an
    easy time with the switch over, but some of us had a
    slightly longer learning curve with them ;-). The end
    results for me were much improved riding.

    ---Mudhead [email hidden] remove
    HANDCUFFS to reply

  4. "Maria Nilsson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

    It will change the way you ride, you will never look back.

    Sniffinvinyl
    ----------------
    Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

  5. I think we'd need pictures of you to really give you
    good advice!

    "Maria Nilsson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

  6. Maria Nilsson said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

    Go for it if you are comfortable on your bike and the
    trails. Set them really loose and practice releasing out on
    a lawn somewhere.

    There are those that love them, ,those that hate them, try
    them for a season and see what you think.

    penny

  7. "Maria Nilsson" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Can some one help me. im a swedish girl who has
    ride my mtb for several years, and now start wondering if
    to buy SPD pedals and shoes to it, is it something that
    you absolutly think i should do or am i stupid to think
    about it. whant to hear you opinion. please wite to my
    ordinary mail.

    hugs from Maria
    [email hidden]

    Assuming you are switching from toe clips to clipless pedals
    (and not from some other brand of clipless:

    At the suggestion of a friend who owns a bike shop, I
    started off multi- release SPD cleats. These let you get
    out of the pedal easier then the standard single release
    cleats. Generally, you still release in the same way you
    would with a normal cleat (turning your heel outward), but
    they become a factor in a situation where you might be
    panicing, since they also allow you to release by rolling
    your foot outward or pulling up very hard. My friends all
    told me about how their first week or so with clipless
    pedals, they ended up a bit banged up from not being able
    to clip out in time. I pretty much avoided this with the
    multi-release cleats though.

    The drawback of the mult-release is that might release when
    you don't want them to, which means you end up having to
    make the pedals much tighter then you would with a normal
    cleat. After a few months with the multi-release I had the
    pedals set very tight...tighter then I would have if I was
    using single-release cleats. So, I switched over to single-
    release cleats. I was a bit worried that the multi-release
    might lead to bad habits that would make the single-release
    hard for me, but it was a non-issue.

    So, if you don't mind spending an extra $15 (or Euros) for
    an extra set of cleats, I think the multi-release will make
    the process less painful.

  8. Brett Jaffee said:

    "Maria Nilsson" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]: ... At the
    suggestion of a friend who owns a bike shop, I started off
    multi- release SPD cleats. These let you get out of the
    pedal easier then the standard single release cleats.

    I've been using multi-release cleats for a year, riding
    quite aggressive x-country, with the lowest possible
    tension on the pedals (I just tighten them enough to make
    sure the screw doesn't fall off), and I have never had a
    single accidental release. I can't unclip by pulling up
    during the upstroke even if I try to with normal pedalling.
    The benefit is that they always unclipped in crashes
    without me even thinking about it, and I get some amount
    real (non-springy) float.

    I'd really recommend you try them first and only switch if
    you consistently unclip accidentally..

    Franck

  9. "Franck" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been using multi-release cleats for a year, riding
    quite aggressive x-country, with the lowest possible
    tension on the pedals (I just tighten them enough to make
    sure the screw doesn't fall off), and I have never had a
    single accidental release. I can't unclip by pulling up
    during the upstroke even if I try to with normal
    pedalling. The benefit is that they always unclipped in
    crashes without me even thinking about it, and I get some
    amount real (non-springy) float.

    Hmm...this is actually why I eventually switched. Had them
    come unclipped a few times on technical sections, or even
    if I did a bunnyhop hard enough. Not consistantly, but
    enough that I got annoyed. When I got to the point that the
    pedals where adjust so tight (about 8 clicks from loosest)
    that they were almost harder to get out of then single-
    release, I switched.

    Perhaps it's a difference in the pedals themselves (basic
    cheapo Shimanos here). If set them at their loosest and
    tried to do a bunny hop with the multi-release, there's no
    way my feet would stay attached.

    Quoted message said:


    I'd really recommend you try them first and only switch if
    you consistently unclip accidentally..

    Agreed.

  10. Brett Jaffee said:

    "Franck" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    ... Had them come unclipped a few times on technical
    sections, or even if I did a bunnyhop hard enough. Not
    consistantly, but enough that I got annoyed. When I got to
    the point that the pedals where adjust so tight (about 8
    clicks from loosest) that they were almost harder to get
    out of then single-release, I switched.

    Makes sense. Don't know why the difference, I'll bunny hop
    1+ foot with no pb. I'm only 140 lbs and riding a very plush
    FSR, with basic Shimano pedals, in dry conditions...

    Franck

  11. "Franck" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Makes sense. Don't know why the difference, I'll bunny hop
    1+ foot with no pb. I'm only 140 lbs and riding a very
    plush FSR, with basic Shimano pedals, in dry conditions...

    Dunno. I have to assume there's some difference somewhere,
    otherwise I'd think everyone would just use multi-release.

  12. Brett Jaffee said:

    "Franck" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been using multi-release cleats for a year, riding
    quite aggressive x-country, with the lowest possible
    tension on the pedals (I just tighten them enough to make
    sure the screw doesn't fall off), and I have never had a
    single accidental release. I can't unclip by pulling up
    during the upstroke even if I try to with normal
    pedalling. The benefit is that they always unclipped in
    crashes without me even thinking about it, and I get some
    amount real (non-springy) float.

    Hmm...this is actually why I eventually switched. Had them
    come unclipped a few times on technical sections, or even
    if I did a bunnyhop hard enough. Not consistantly, but
    enough that I got annoyed. When I got to the point that
    the pedals where adjust so tight (about 8 clicks from
    loosest) that they were almost harder to get out of then
    single-release, I switched.

    I'll second that 'Hmm..'. I thought that clipless was the
    bee's knee's for ages but as my skills improved and my
    riding became a bit more technical, I've switched back to
    platforms. I just couldn't seem to stay in the SPD's on the
    technical stuff just enough to really annoy me. I suppose
    that my ideal pedal is a lightweight clipless platform that
    won't clip you in when you don't want it too. I've found
    that as my feet move around my cleats clip in even if I
    don't want them too. I've mentioned it on another thread
    before but I'm still thinking about the Crank Bros Mallets.
    Sounds like they may do what I want them to do.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  13. "Westie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmm...this is actually why I eventually switched. Had
    them come unclipped a few times on technical sections, or
    even if I did a bunnyhop hard enough. Not consistantly,
    but enough that I got annoyed. When I got to the point
    that the pedals where adjust so tight (about 8 clicks
    from loosest) that they were almost harder to get out of
    then single-release, I switched.

    I'll second that 'Hmm..'. I thought that clipless was the
    bee's knee's for ages but as my skills improved and my
    riding became a bit more technical, I've switched back to
    platforms.

    Just to clarify, my "hmmm" was regarding multi-release
    cleats (versus single-release), not clipless pedals in
    general.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.