Road Cycling · Public discussion

SPD shoes with flexible sole?

Started by Mike B · · Last activity · 9 posts · 538 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
10 January 2007
Last activity
11 January 2007
Original author
Mike B
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
538
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My favorite pair of 5 year (?) old Shimano MO31 shoes are coming to the end of
    their useful life.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2392.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2393.jpg
    They are perfect for me because they have just enough flex to allow for
    comfortable walking.

    In comparison I also have a pair of Shimano MO37 shoes which are built like a
    tank, are twice as stiff and great for cycling but absolutely useless for
    walking because the foot wants to flex but the sole doesn't allow it.

    Does anyone know what current shoe (Shimano or otherwise) is roughly equivalent
    to the old Shimano MO31 ?

    None of the catalogues give measurements for flexibility, only their intended
    use - commuting, touring etc.

    Mike

  2. I can't tell you of a pair with flex, but I can tell you to stay away
    from Answer Speeders. I love the pair I got a few months ago,
    partially due to them being plenty stiff. Good luck in your search.

  3. Mike B said:

    My favorite pair of 5 year (?) old Shimano MO31 shoes are coming to the end of
    their useful life.
    They are perfect for me because they have just enough flex to allow for
    comfortable walking.

    Does anyone know what current shoe (Shimano or otherwise) is roughly equivalent
    to the old Shimano MO31 ?

    My wife has a pair of Lake MX101 shoes that are faily flexible. Lake
    has several similar inexpensive shoes that should fit the bill (such as
    the MX60). Personally, I like a stiff shoe for use with SPD cleats.

    http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=SH3208

    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&Affiliate=1&PageID=30&SKU=SH5694

    Art Harris

  4. Check out the specialized website for their offering. Frankly, I want
    walkabout spd shows that have very stiff soles, not ones that flex too much.
    I only need that part right over the pedal to be stiff, though.

    Mike B wrote:
    :: My favorite pair of 5 year (?) old Shimano MO31 shoes are coming to
    :: the end of their useful life.
    :: http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2392.jpg
    :: http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2393.jpg
    :: They are perfect for me because they have just enough flex to allow
    :: for comfortable walking.
    ::
    :: In comparison I also have a pair of Shimano MO37 shoes which are
    :: built like a tank, are twice as stiff and great for cycling but
    :: absolutely useless for walking because the foot wants to flex but
    :: the sole doesn't allow it.
    ::
    :: Does anyone know what current shoe (Shimano or otherwise) is
    :: roughly equivalent to the old Shimano MO31 ?
    ::
    :: None of the catalogues give measurements for flexibility, only their
    :: intended use - commuting, touring etc.
    ::
    ::
    :: Mike

  5. Mike B said:

    My favorite pair of 5 year (?) old Shimano MO31 shoes are coming to the end of
    their useful life.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2392.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/shoe/Imgp2393.jpg
    They are perfect for me because they have just enough flex to allow for
    comfortable walking.

    In comparison I also have a pair of Shimano MO37 shoes which are built like a
    tank, are twice as stiff and great for cycling but absolutely useless for
    walking because the foot wants to flex but the sole doesn't allow it.

    Does anyone know what current shoe (Shimano or otherwise) is roughly equivalent
    to the old Shimano MO31 ?

    None of the catalogues give measurements for flexibility, only their intended
    use - commuting, touring etc.

    I'm told the Diadora Patrol, which is what most bike cops use, is very
    comfortable for walking and standing around, as well as riding all day.
    Ugly but good I guess. Performance/Nashbar usually have them on sale.

    Matt O.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I can't tell you of a pair with flex, but I can tell you to stay away
    from Answer Speeders. I love the pair I got a few months ago,
    partially due to them being plenty stiff. Good luck in your search.

    I have some Answer Flatfoot sneakers that used to be stiff until the
    midsoles cracked. Now they flex fine.

    Matt O.

  7. Art Harris said:
    Mike B said:

    My favorite pair of 5 year (?) old Shimano MO31 shoes are coming to the end of
    their useful life.
    They are perfect for me because they have just enough flex to allow for
    comfortable walking.

    Does anyone know what current shoe (Shimano or otherwise) is roughly equivalent
    to the old Shimano MO31 ?

    My wife has a pair of Lake MX101 shoes that are faily flexible. Lake
    has several similar inexpensive shoes that should fit the bill (such as
    the MX60). Personally, I like a stiff shoe for use with SPD cleats.

    I have the MX60's. I like them. They were only $40 when I bought mine.
    They are getting a little soft, but they probably have 8000 miles on
    them. That doesn't matter anyways because I started riding a bent 800
    miles ago and no longer stand on the pedals.

    Quoted message said:

    http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=SH3208

    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&Affiliate=1&PageID=30&SKU=SH5694

    Art Harris

  8. Thanks for the heads up on Diadora patrols
    Performance website has them on sale for $29.95
    All sizes in stock still.

    http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm

    massive inventory reduction and shoe clearance.

    Yes, they ship to Kanata.

  9. My Specialized Taho's seem quite comfortable for walking and riding. I
    read somewhere that they are a favorite of bike messengers.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.