Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Spares for old 6 speed Shimano 105

Started by Scrim · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,093 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 April 2007
Last activity
24 April 2007
Original author
Scrim
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,093
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,
    I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
    eBay for used parts in good condition.
    The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
    so old now that parts are rare.
    Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
    speed 105 range?
    Thanks,

    Scrim

  2. Scrim said:

    Hi,
    I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
    eBay for used parts in good condition.
    The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
    so old now that parts are rare.
    Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
    speed 105 range?
    Thanks,

    Scrim

    You have regular old 130mm chainrings available any where from many
    manufacturers.
    Phil Brown

  3. Scrim said:

    Hi,
    I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
    eBay for used parts in good condition.
    The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to be
    so old now that parts are rare.
    Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
    speed 105 range?
    Thanks,

    Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  4. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Scrim said:

    Hi,
    I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
    eBay for used parts in good condition.
    The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to
    be so old now that parts are rare.
    Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
    speed 105 range?
    Thanks,

    Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    So even a modern 10 speed Shimano chainring is the same? I was assuming
    they'd be thinner?
    What type of chain do I need?
    Thanks,
    Scrim

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Scrim said:

    I need to replace a 52 tooth chain wheel cheaply so I've been looking on
    eBay for used parts in good condition.
    The bike has a 6 speed Shimano 105 group set which unfortunately seems to
    be so old now that parts are rare.
    Are any other Shimano range chainwheels compatible, like maybe the 7 & 8
    speed 105 range?

    Quoted message said:
    A Muzi said:

    Yes, that's correct, any ring will do.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Scrim wrote:


    So even a modern 10 speed Shimano chainring is the same? I was assuming
    they'd be thinner?
    What type of chain do I need?

    Use a 5/6 speed chain, they last longer than skinny chain and they all
    cost the same to start.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. The thing to know is that (with the exception of SHIMANO 10), teeth on
    chainrings ARE THE SAME SIZE as they've always been, going back to
    5-speed freewheels & chainrings. Only the spaces BETWEEN the teeth
    have gotten narrower, not the teeth themselves.

    What this means is that any 5-speed, 6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed,
    9-speed or 10-speed(campy/sram) chainring will work for you, as long
    as the BCD is 130. Just not Shimano-10 circa 2006 (let's not talk
    about shimano-10 1980).

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  7. "Donald Gillies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The thing to know is that (with the exception of SHIMANO 10), teeth on
    chainrings ARE THE SAME SIZE as they've always been, going back to
    5-speed freewheels & chainrings. Only the spaces BETWEEN the teeth
    have gotten narrower, not the teeth themselves.

    What this means is that any 5-speed, 6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed,
    9-speed or 10-speed(campy/sram) chainring will work for you, as long
    as the BCD is 130. Just not Shimano-10 circa 2006 (let's not talk
    about shimano-10 1980).

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Thanks, I think I understand :
    Almost all chainrings with bolt holes on a 130mm diameter are
    interchangeable.
    Higher speed chains will fit lower speed gearing, but are less robust, so
    use the right chain.

    Scrim

  8. Scrim said:

    Thanks, I think I understand : Almost all chainrings with bolt holes
    on a 130mm diameter are interchangeable.

    That's right.

    (a) The space between sprockets - except shimano-10, see :

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    Until Shimano-10 came along, sprocket sizes had changed by at
    most 8% (1.85mm -> 1.7mm), which is probably not far from the
    margin of error in manufacturing or chain wear. With
    Shimano-10, however, the change is 1.85mm -> 1.6mm, or about 14%.

    (b) The _outsides_ of chains have gotten skinnier, causing them to
    wear faster, but not the _insides_ of chains, which are the same
    width to fit the same teeth.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  9. Scrim said:

    Thanks, I think I understand : Almost all chainrings with bolt holes
    on a 130mm diameter are interchangeable.

    That's right. I guess I should include campy-10 in my list of
    exceptions, viz:

    (a) The space between sprockets has hardly gotten smaller - except
    campy-10 and shimano-10, see :

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Campy 9-speed (1.75mm) = only 5% smaller

    Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Campy 10-speed (1.7mm) = 8%
    Regular 5/6 speed (1.85mm) -> Shimano-10 speed (1.6mm) = 14%

    5% is probably within the margin of error in manufacturing
    and/or chain wear.

    (b) The _outsides_ of chains have gotten skinnier, causing them to
    wear faster, but not the _insides_ of chains, which are the same
    width to fit the same teeth.

    You may want to stay away from weirdo Suntour 8-speed, 7-speed, and
    Accushift gears, as well as Shimano IG 7-speed gears.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.