Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Son of ... w/pics

Started by Ride-A-Lot · · Last activity · 6 posts · 530 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
3 August 2004
Last activity
4 August 2004
Original author
Ride-A-Lot
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
530
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Son of Middle Creek, Vail, CO - 8/1/04

    I had a few hours this morning before work as well as one of my
    co-workers. I didn't feel like riding alone and so I talked him into
    going on his first MTB ride. Since I had to wait or him I rode up Vail
    mountain and then bombed back down. About seven miles of fire road,
    so I won't bore you with the specifics. It was nice and it warmed me
    up. I caught up with Martin at the bike rental shop, gave him a few
    quick pointers, and we headed up Red Sandstone Road. It's about a 3
    mile climb to the "Son of Middle Creek" trailhead. He's a hockey player
    so he's in pretty good shape, but I guess this was a bit much. We made
    it a couple of miles and then rested a bit before reaching the trail. I
    was trying to be encouraging, but I think he finally started to catch on
    every time I said it was just around the bend. But, that's how I
    usually psych myself out. He also got fed up with me saying there was
    just one more short climb. Well, we head out on the trail with more
    climbing.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/001-climb.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/002-climb.jpg

    I think he was thinking it would all be DH from here. He was a trooper
    though. I tried to show him how to handle the tech stuff, but he felt
    safer walking the stuff.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/003-martin.jpg

    My goal was not to scare him away from this. I thought I picked an easy
    enough trail, but the beginning was a bit much and it got more technical
    as we neared the top. It was rockier and a bit more washed out than it
    looks.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/004-techie.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/005-techie.jpg

    I try to explain that it's all worth it when we see this. I believe
    it's Mount of the Holy Cross.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/006-peak.jpg

    I think he agrees and we continue on ahead to be greeted by this
    wonderful fun.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/007-morets.jpg

    He attempts it, which I think is admirable and I congratulate him on at
    least attempting it. Finally, after much climbing (we're at 11,000+
    feet now after starting at 8150) we get some beautiful, faint, yet
    smooth singletrack.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/008-faint.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/010-morefst.jpg

    I love Aspen trees. We have Birch trees in NJ, but their not as nice.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/011-aspens.jpg

    We now reach the proverbial "fork in the road" at which point a decision
    has to be made on which way to head down. I had already done the Son of
    Middle Creek down to Vail and it gets pretty narly near the end. The
    North trail is a "hiker" trail. Although the hiker only sign is at the
    bottom and not at the top. It is also extremely smooth and shorter,
    which should be a better confidence builder for my student. So, we head
    down NT.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/017-ahh.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/018-martin.jpg

    A stop to look out at the ski area.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/019-ski.jpg

    It's then off the ST and back down the fire road. Looks like someone
    had a little target practice.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/021-exit.jpg

    I don't know if he'll be back, but I think he had fun. In the end he
    experienced every joy of mountain biking; climbing, downhill, endo, and
    even a bonk at the end.
    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  2. Ride-A-Lot said:

    Son of Middle Creek, Vail, CO - 8/1/04

    Quoted message said:

    I think he was thinking it would all be DH from here.

    HAH! Where have I heard that before.

    Quoted message said:

    I try to explain that it's all worth it when we see this. I believe
    it's Mount of the Holy Cross.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/006-peak.jpg

    Nice!

    Quoted message said:

    I think he agrees and we continue on ahead to be greeted by this
    wonderful fun.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/007-morets.jpg

    That sloped stuff can be really scary on your first ride.

    gabrielle

  3. Ride-A-Lot' 'mitchelnospam said:

    Son of Middle Creek, Vail, CO - 8/1/04


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's then off the ST and back down the fire road. Looks like someone
    had a little target practice.

    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/middlecr/021-exit.jpg

    Nice. I wonder if it was a rich redneck who dunit.
    I don't think ours could afford Vail. Could have been a roadtrip I guess...

    Matt

  4. On 2004-08-03, Ride-A-Lot penned:

    [snippage throughout]

    Quoted message said:

    Son of Middle Creek, Vail, CO - 8/1/04

    He's a hockey player so he's in pretty good shape, but I guess this
    was a bit much.

    Hockey doesn't really prep you for climbing -- it's typically one minute
    of giving it everything you've got, followed by two minutes of sitting
    on your butt, rinse, repeat. Quite different from having to keep those
    legs pumping for as long as it takes.

    Quoted message said:

    I was trying to be encouraging, but I think he finally started to
    catch on every time I said it was just around the bend. But, that's
    how I usually psych myself out. He also got fed up with me saying
    there was just one more short climb.

    Argh! Maybe this is a personality thing, but my husband likes to do
    this to me and I *hate* it. Don't lie to me; don't try to make it
    easier; just shut up and let me do my thing. If I don't know when the
    pain will be over, I can just kind of let it wash over me. It becomes
    part of the background, always there but something I can deal with. If
    I'm continuously being told that it's almost over, it draws attention to
    my pain, and then of course there's the disappointment when I realize
    it's not true, after all.

    Stop patronizing. Just ride.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know if he'll be back, but I think he had fun. In the end
    he experienced every joy of mountain biking; climbing, downhill,
    endo, and even a bonk at the end.

    Looks like you had fun; I hope he did, too *grin*

    --
    monique

    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

  5. Nice must be north Jersey.

    I MTB 2004

  6. Quoted message said:

    Nice must be north Jersey.

    I MTB 2004

    Way off! Vail, Colorado. Although, Allamuchy is quite similar in terrain.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.