Road Cycling · Public discussion

Somewhat OT: Bush/Kerry/politics

Started by Don · · Last activity · 22 posts · 979 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
Don
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
979
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    Just read that Bush got some minor cuts and abrasions from a "mountain
    bike" crash. Couple weeks ago, read that Kerry crashed his road bike.
    Does this mean that Kerry is a sissy?

    dr

  2. "Don" > Hello,

    Quoted message said:

    Just read that Bush got some minor cuts and abrasions from a "mountain
    bike" crash. Couple weeks ago, read that Kerry crashed his road bike.
    Does this mean that Kerry is a sissy?

    dr

    I have both types of bike...does that make me bipolar? Or does it make you a
    troll?

    Pat in TX

  3. Quoted message said:

    Just read that Bush got some minor cuts and abrasions from a "mountain
    bike" crash. Couple weeks ago, read that Kerry crashed his road bike.

    Quoted message said:

    Does this mean that Kerry is a sissy?

    No, it means that you were played for a fool.

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    As far as Bush riding a bicycle, give me a break.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  4. Eric S. Sande said:

    No, it means that you were played for a fool.

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    As far as Bush riding a bicycle, give me a break.

    I just heard someone on rightie radio complaining because Kerry made a
    comment like: "What, did the training wheels fall off?" in response to
    shrub's crash.

    LOL

  5. Eric S. Sande said:

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    What, so someone who rides regularly never crashes? Actually, apparently
    Kerry really is a serious rider.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | We have a record of conquest, colonization and expansion
    _`\(,_ | unequaled by any people in the Nineteenth Century. We are not to
    (_)/ (_) | be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895

  6. Eric S. Sande said:


    Quoted message said:

    Just read that Bush got some minor cuts and abrasions from a "mountain
    bike" crash. Couple weeks ago, read that Kerry crashed his road bike.

    Quoted message said:

    Does this mean that Kerry is a sissy?

    No, it means that you were played for a fool.

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    What, you didn't hear? The Secret Serviceperson who crashed into him
    while he was snowboarding a few months ago took him out again[1].
    Wouldn't like to see that guy's next performance review.

    Hey, it could happen...

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared
    not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I
    ever said it." -- T. Lehrer

    [1] Yes, I AM making this up.

  7. (Don) said:

    Hello,
    Just read that Bush got some minor cuts and abrasions from a "mountain
    bike" crash. Couple weeks ago, read that Kerry crashed his road bike.
    Does this mean that Kerry is a sissy?

    Most sissies don't have confirmed kills, I don't think.

    I don't think Bush bikes, but he did take a spill while riding the
    Segway, the 'untippable' motorized scooter with built-in gyroscopes:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2989000.stm

  8. At the bikewinter movie festival http://www.bikewinter.org , they showed
    a movie 'Vietnam, long time coming' about a bunch of disabled verterans
    US & Vietnam , Vietnam and later ride from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min city
    (formerly Saigon), over a thousand miles, in 1999. Kerry came in and
    rode the last day and gave a closing speech. Each day was 60-100
    miles. Hand cycles for paralyzed, leg amputees on road bicycles, blind
    riders on the rear of tandems.

    sittingduck said:


    Eric S. Sande said:

    No, it means that you were played for a fool.

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    As far as Bush riding a bicycle, give me a break.

    I just heard someone on rightie radio complaining because Kerry made a
    comment like: "What, did the training wheels fall off?" in response to
    shrub's crash.

    LOL

  9. Quoted message said:

    What, so someone who rides regularly never crashes? Actually,
    apparently Kerry really is a serious rider.

    Never said he wasn't. How often do you crash? I'm betting not often,
    David. In fact I think you almost never do, right?

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely he would
    have crashed if he did it regularly.

    =v= Hey, I've biked that very location Kerry did, and I think I
    even know that patch of sand. It's for real.

    Quoted message said:

    Kerry came in and rode the last day and gave a closing speech.
    Each day was 60-100 miles. Hand cycles for paralyzed, leg
    amputees on road bicycles, blind riders on the rear of tandems.

    =v= Wow.
    <_Jym_>


  11. Quoted message said:


    I just heard someone on rightie radio complaining because Kerry made a
    comment like: "What, did the training wheels fall off?" in response to
    shrub's crash.

    LOL

    Didn't happen. "Told about Bush's mishap, Kerry said, "I hope he's OK. I
    didn't know the president rode a bike."

    Deb Riechmann, The Associated Press.

    Pat in TX


  12. Quoted message said:


    I don't think Bush bikes, but he did take a spill while riding the
    Segway, the 'untippable' motorized scooter with built-in gyroscopes.

    Bicycle Retailer and Industry News; 9/1/2003; Delaney, Ben

    LOS ANGELES, CA -- In his speech at the Santa Monica Mountains National
    Recreation Area President George W. Bush mentioned the importance of trails
    for hiking and biking.

    And four mountain bike advocates were among the 30 private citizens invited
    to the speech in the one of the few national parks were bikes are allowed.

    The event was small enough that the advocates were able to talk to the
    President, the Secretary of the Interior, Gale Norton, and Fran Manella,
    director of the National Park Service.

    "We invited Bush on a mountain bike ride," said Peter Heumann, promoter of
    the Southern California Bicycle Expo and member of Concerned Off Road
    Bicyclists Association (CORBA). "He said it's something he has never done,
    but would like to try."

    So, now he's trying it.

    Pat in TX

  13. "Eric S. Sande" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What, so someone who rides regularly never crashes? Actually,
    apparently Kerry really is a serious rider.

    Never said he wasn't. How often do you crash? I'm betting not often,
    David. In fact I think you almost never do, right?

    You just said -
    "Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op."
    It would be very difficult to be a serious rider, if you only ride for
    photo ops.
    With the logic you have displayed in your previous two posts, I
    believe you have what it takes to be a politician.

    I have read a number of articles that indicate to me that Kerry is a
    serious rider. I do believe that this is the first time I have seen
    Bush mentioned riding a bicycle. Either way, riding a bicycle should
    have no influence on choosing a president. Obviously, there are many
    more important issues to consider.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  14. Jacque_Strapp said:

    I don't think Bush bikes, but he did take a spill while riding the
    Segway, the 'untippable' motorized scooter with built-in gyroscopes:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2989000.stm

    Which recently needed a software upgrade due to its propensity to
    dump the rider when the battery charge became low.

    SMH

  15. Eric S. Sande said:
    Quoted message said:

    What, so someone who rides regularly never crashes? Actually,
    apparently Kerry really is a serious rider.

    Never said he wasn't. How often do you crash? I'm betting not often,
    David. In fact I think you almost never do, right?

    One of my reasons for being cool towards serious mountain biking
    is my tendency to crash while doing so.

    I primarily use my MTB on dirt roads, and generally stay away from
    tough stuff like steep climbs/descents, ruts, rocks, loose substrate,
    roots, etc.

    I no longer even make an effort to pedal when doing a route that
    suddenly has a mud hole or tricky passage. I just hop off the bike
    and walk around/over the obstruction, and pedal again when the
    route returns to my level of "expertise".

    Yes I know I'll never improve with such difficulty avoidance methodolgy,
    but I don't really care. I'm not looking to become a very technical
    MTB rider. Too much crashing required, and I am now too old to be
    doing that!

    SMH

  16. Eric S. Sande said:

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    Whose votes are gathered by being photographed riding a bicycle?
    Apart from the bicycling crowd, most of which wouldn't care enough
    to be swayed, and the remainder of which is such a small group...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  17. Rick Onanian said:
    Eric S. Sande said:

    Neither one of these idiots spends any time riding if it isn't for
    a photo op. Kerry allegedly rides a bicycle but it isn't likely
    he would have crashed if he did it regularly.

    Whose votes are gathered by being photographed riding a bicycle?
    Apart from the bicycling crowd, most of which wouldn't care enough
    to be swayed, and the remainder of which is such a small group...

    Has anyone seen a photo of Bush riding yet? Maybe they're out
    there... but I haven't seen any (nor have I looked).

    Heh... I just realized that we might be able to have a "bloopers" show
    with nothing but presidential candidate crashes (on MTBs, ski slopes,
    road bikes, etc.). Might be a fun half hour... ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  18. Quoted message said:

    Whose votes are gathered by being photographed riding a bicycle?

    Clinton was photographed riding a cruiser in the White House. I doubt
    that got him any votes but it was a point, he didn't crash.

    Quoted message said:

    Apart from the bicycling crowd, most of which wouldn't care enough
    to be swayed, and the remainder of which is such a small group...

    But influential. Look at it this way. Kerry crashes, it makes the
    news. Kerry is validated as a cyclist in the public mind, what do
    non-cyclists think about bicycles.

    They're dangerous. But anyone who can get up and walk away, or ride
    away, has what it takes to come back from adversity, and is athletic
    to boot. That's a quality that's desirable in a President.

    So Bush does a pratfall (heavily protected) to counter Kerry on the
    issue. Problem is, the wrong message is transmitted.

    Both of these dudes are HANDLED, man.

    There wasn't any press there when Bush fell off his bicycle.

    It was RELEASED.

    The President doesn't fall off a bicycle unless it serves the purposes
    of his public relations. You bought it hook, line and sinker.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  19. << But anyone who can get up and walk away, or ride
    away, has what it takes to come back from adversity, and is athletic
    to boot. That's a quality that's desirable in a President. >>

    They should really just stick to the shots of him playing hockey, and stalking
    around the jungle with his weapon.

    Any old dude who can still deke a goalie and tuck away the backhand has my
    vote.

    Robert

  20. Mark Hickey said:

    Heh... I just realized that we might be able to have a "bloopers" show
    with nothing but presidential candidate crashes (on MTBs, ski slopes,
    road bikes, etc.). Might be a fun half hour... ;-)

    With Jerry Ford in there, you might need a whole hour. You could also
    include Clinton's foibles, but then you couldn't show it on TV...

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
    _`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
    (_)/ (_) |

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.