General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

So many articles on 10K training - which to believe?

Started by Linda L. · · Last activity · 6 posts · 507 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 June 2004
Last activity
12 June 2004
Original author
Linda L.
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
507
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys and gals - any possibility of a regular fitness
    runner - usually 4 miles max to think about doing a 10K on
    July 4th? Yes, I can do research on the net and find about
    50 ways to train but....

    Anyway, I know it's 3 weeks away but as the brochure said
    "the course is flat, shady, & fast". What more could I ask
    for? Thanks all - Linda

    PS: Who was wondering about PC Coach? I found some training
    software for my PDA that I love. It's more of a log vs.
    a training program but to be honest, you can read a book
    for that and then record your stats in this program.
    Called MySportTraining from www.handango.com. Works for
    several PDA platforms. Cheap too.

  2. Linda L. said:

    Hi guys and gals - any possibility of a regular fitness
    runner - usually 4 miles max to think about doing a 10K on
    July 4th?

    Sure.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I can do research on the net and find about 50 ways
    to train but....

    It's too late to do much training anyway. Try getting in a 5
    mile run as soon as possible.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I know it's 3 weeks away but as the brochure said
    "the course is flat, shady, & fast". What more could I
    ask for?

    You could ask for 60 degrees or less !

    No 10k course will truly be "fast" in summer. If the
    temperature is more than a few degrees above 60 (as it
    almost certainly will be), you should expect to be slow. One
    rule of thumb is a second per mile per degree above 60. Of
    course there is individual variation, but be warned that
    this is not an exaggeration, and most runners (even fairly
    competitive runners) really do slow down that much.

    So go out at a very easy pace, and just aim to finish in
    one piece.

    Good luck,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Linda L. said:

    Hi guys and gals - any possibility of a regular fitness
    runner - usually 4 miles max to think about doing a 10K on
    July 4th? Yes, I can do research on the net and find about
    50 ways to train but....

    Anyway, I know it's 3 weeks away but as the brochure said
    "the course is flat, shady, & fast". What more could I ask
    for? Thanks all - Linda

    PS: Who was wondering about PC Coach? I found some
    training software for my PDA that I love. It's more of
    a log vs. a training program but to be honest, you can
    read a book for that and then record your stats in
    this program. Called MySportTraining from
    www.handango.com. Works for several PDA platforms.
    Cheap too.

    yeah, go for it. you're only 2 miles away from the distance
    right now. just build up your distance to the 10k. bump it
    up a mile each week, getting the body used to the increased
    distance. it doesn't have to be fancy training for you to
    finish the race. good thing it's a flat course... you won't
    have hills to contend with that way.

    have you done a race before? if not, just read up a bit
    online and ask stuff here for the details so you know about
    race etiquette and procedures.

    racing is a blast... hope you enjoy it as much as i do. best
    of luck training for the race.

    Cam

  4. I say if you can run 4 miles now, you can run 6.2. Just need
    to pace accordingly.

    As for the ways to train for a 10K, find a program that
    looks do-able and follow it. Do not mix and match programs
    until you have a lot more experience.

    "Linda L." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi guys and gals - any possibility of a regular fitness
    runner - usually 4 miles max to think about doing a 10K on
    July 4th? Yes, I can do research


    on

    Quoted message said:

    the net and find about 50 ways to train but....

    Anyway, I know it's 3 weeks away but as the brochure said
    "the course is flat, shady, & fast". What more could I ask
    for? Thanks all - Linda

    PS: Who was wondering about PC Coach? I found some
    training software for


    my

    Quoted message said:

    PDA that I love. It's more of a log vs. a training program
    but to be honest, you can read a book for that and then
    record your stats in this program. Called MySportTraining
    from www.handango.com. Works for several PDA platforms.
    Cheap too.

  5. "Linda L." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi guys and gals - any possibility of a regular fitness
    runner - usually 4 miles max to think about doing a 10K on
    July 4th? Yes, I can do research on the net and find about
    50 ways to train but....

    Anyway, I know it's 3 weeks away but as the brochure said
    "the course is flat, shady, & fast". What more could I ask
    for? Thanks all - Linda

    Two more miles should not be a problem for you. Each week
    from now until the race add a mile to one or two runs that
    you do in the week. As long as 5 doesn't feel uncomfortable
    then progress to 6 the following week.

    As with any increase in distance be careful of over
    training. You are placing additional stress on your body. If
    you feel any aches and pains that are out of the ordinary
    then back off.

    It is really too late to follow any program and since you
    are at 4 miles you're own plan is working quite well. No
    need for any other.

    If you have a need for speed. I say resist it. But if you
    can't on some of your shorter 4 mile runs pick up your pace
    for 2 maybe 3 blocks and recover for another 2 or 3 blocks.
    Or if you don't live in a city like I do. Pick up the pace
    for 2 or 3 minutes and recover for 2 or 3 minutes. Any speed
    training you do between now and then is only going to have a
    small affect on your overall fitness.

    Hope this helps, Andy

    Quoted message said:


    PS: Who was wondering about PC Coach? I found some
    training software for my PDA that I love. It's more of
    a log vs. a training program but to be honest, you can
    read a book for that and then record your stats in
    this program. Called MySportTraining from
    www.handango.com. Works for several PDA platforms.
    Cheap too.

  6. The first 10k I did, I just went out & DID IT. I saw the
    listing in the weekend activities section of the paper,
    called for directions, & just went out there. "Pre-
    planning" was maybe a couple of days -- i.e. I didn't run
    the day before.

    I'd been used to running 4-1/2 miles or so 2-3x/week anyway
    without any problem or wiping out, I figured that I could do
    6 and if necessary just slow down at the end.

    Turned out just fine, & in a time that surprised me. It was
    also fun. bj

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.