Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

smallest tire on a 700x27 rim?

Started by chuck · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,115 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 April 2006
Last activity
6 May 2006
Original author
chuck
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,115
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know a 28c tire is too small. I'm wondering if a 32 or 35 will also be
    too small. I'm running 42c now, but things aren't as muddy as they were
    and I'd like to go a little smaller.

  2. chuck said:


    I know a 28c tire is too small. I'm wondering if a 32 or 35 will also be
    too small. I'm running 42c now, but things aren't as muddy as they were
    and I'd like to go a little smaller.

    Is that 27mm inside the bead hooks, per ISO spec, or 27mm outside
    width? I've had OK luck with tires that are just a couple of
    millimeters wider overall than the rims they mount on. It seems to
    diminish their cushioning qualities, though.

    Chalo

  3. Chalo said:
    chuck said:


    I know a 28c tire is too small. I'm wondering if a 32 or 35 will also be
    too small. I'm running 42c now, but things aren't as muddy as they were
    and I'd like to go a little smaller.

    Is that 27mm inside the bead hooks, per ISO spec, or 27mm outside
    width? I've had OK luck with tires that are just a couple of
    millimeters wider overall than the rims they mount on. It seems to
    diminish their cushioning qualities, though.

    I'm not sure and I have no metric ruler. They're Sun Rhyno Lites if that
    tells you anything. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably better off
    using my narrower rims when I go smaller than 35c.

    My bigger concern is getting a new rear deraileur since I busted mine
    off on a ride today. Bent the hangar bad too. Can one get this aligned
    close enough by eyeball or is an alignment tool of some sort needed?

    Another question I have is about a SRAM X-7 deraileur. Will it be a
    decent replacement for the 105 that broke?

  4. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <fSS3g.25704$HC3.3723@trnddc07>,

    chuck said:
    Chalo said:
    chuck said:


    I know a 28c tire is too small. I'm wondering if a 32 or 35 will also be
    too small. I'm running 42c now, but things aren't as muddy as they were
    and I'd like to go a little smaller.

    Is that 27mm inside the bead hooks, per ISO spec, or 27mm outside
    width? I've had OK luck with tires that are just a couple of
    millimeters wider overall than the rims they mount on. It seems to
    diminish their cushioning qualities, though.

    I'm not sure and I have no metric ruler. They're Sun Rhyno Lites if that
    tells you anything. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably better off
    using my narrower rims when I go smaller than 35c.

    _ I think you could run 30mm tires on those rims if you wanted,
    but maybe not at as low a PSI as you might like. Peter White
    says 35mm is the minimum.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tourtand.asp

    Quoted message said:


    My bigger concern is getting a new rear deraileur since I busted mine
    off on a ride today. Bent the hangar bad too. Can one get this aligned
    close enough by eyeball or is an alignment tool of some sort needed?

    Another question I have is about a SRAM X-7 deraileur. Will it be a
    decent replacement for the 105 that broke?

    Newer SRAM's and Shimano use different cable pull lengths for
    indexed shifting. You're probably better off sticking with
    Shimano Deraillers if you have Shimano Shifters. You can use
    an "MTB" rear derailler with road shifters if you want.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBRFAFdWTWTAjn5N/lAQElJwP7Bhux5sRph8W51eTeMphCi41iK5vWLhGG
    V2xhi/upUT/wJ1WwPS8MtvDHt7qzl3SHCCctth5KQIhrYDfTyBmkjWus6i/sfz0K
    UlIDLCcWtprA3xNoAh85zoGfHb1S9gvEi2hUc8Uej2en7Cr5MS2uVih+H16hmTUz
    YPezVHnH9uU=
    =T627
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. Booker C. Bense said:


    _ I think you could run 30mm tires on those rims if you wanted,
    but maybe not at as low a PSI as you might like. Peter White
    says 35mm is the minimum.

    30mm _actual size_ might work, but that would more than likely be a
    nominally "35mm" tire. Most 35s measure about 32mm on appropriate
    rims, but they vary a lot. I have never seen a 700x30 or 700x32 tire
    that measured anywhere near its nominal width.

    Chalo

  6. chuck said:


    They're Sun Rhyno Lites if that
    tells you anything. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably better off
    using my narrower rims when I go smaller than 35c.

    Those measure 27.5mm outside width. You'll get the most satisfactory
    results if you use tires of at least 32mm inflated width. That means
    700x35 or wider.

    You'd be better off trying to find a nice lightweight and supple tire
    in the right size range than trying to use a tire that's too small for
    the rim.

    I highly recommend the Panaracer Pasela 700x35. It's the narrowest
    tire I use, and the fastest as far as I can tell. It measures 32.5mm
    on my 23.5mm wide rims. It has thin flexible sidewalls, a relatively
    thin tread, and it doesn't cost much.

    Quoted message said:

    My bigger concern is getting a new rear deraileur since I busted mine
    off on a ride today. Bent the hangar bad too. Can one get this aligned
    close enough by eyeball or is an alignment tool of some sort needed?

    You should let a bike shop take care of that. You can probably get it
    close enough to work, but a shop can align it better than new. They'll
    also be able to diagnose whether more serious repair is necessary.

    Quoted message said:

    Another question I have is about a SRAM X-7 deraileur. Will it be a
    decent replacement for the 105 that broke?

    The X-7 won't work at all with your shifter. The SX-5 will work, and
    costs a little bit less.

    Modestly priced SRAM derailleurs these days are way too plasticky for
    my liking. I have messed up a SRAM X-7 shifter when trying to replace
    the cable, because some parts were made out of soft plastic that
    shouldn't have been. The X-7 derailleur suffers from the same general
    problem, but I haven't messed it up yet.

    I really wanted to like SRAM derailleurs, since they are the decendants
    of Sachs New Success derialleurs (my favorite ever), and since they are
    made a company that appears less noxious in its business practices than
    Brand S. I regret having to say it, but a Sh*mano derailleur is a
    better product at the price point in question.

    Chalo

  7. Chalo said:
    chuck said:


    They're Sun Rhyno Lites if that
    tells you anything. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably better off
    using my narrower rims when I go smaller than 35c.

    Those measure 27.5mm outside width. You'll get the most satisfactory
    results if you use tires of at least 32mm inflated width. That means
    700x35 or wider.

    You'd be better off trying to find a nice lightweight and supple tire
    in the right size range than trying to use a tire that's too small for
    the rim.

    I ended up getting another cassette for my other rims. I figure a brake
    adjustment and changing wheels is easier than tire/tubes. Plus, I had a
    bunch of Conti TT 2000's 28c laying around to help make me go that
    route.

    Quoted message said:

    I highly recommend the Panaracer Pasela 700x35. It's the narrowest
    tire I use, and the fastest as far as I can tell. It measures 32.5mm
    on my 23.5mm wide rims. It has thin flexible sidewalls, a relatively
    thin tread, and it doesn't cost much.

    Quoted message said:

    My bigger concern is getting a new rear deraileur since I busted mine
    off on a ride today. Bent the hangar bad too. Can one get this aligned
    close enough by eyeball or is an alignment tool of some sort needed?

    You should let a bike shop take care of that. You can probably get it
    close enough to work, but a shop can align it better than new. They'll
    also be able to diagnose whether more serious repair is necessary.

    It's a Giant cypress SX with 10K miles on it. All the miles are on a
    limestone trail. I'd just like to get through this year. I'm now
    interested in a touring bike that I can run 38c or maybe 42c tires on
    while staying under $1000. I do want drop bars. I'm interested in any
    advice on this.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Another question I have is about a SRAM X-7 deraileur. Will it be a
    decent replacement for the 105 that broke?

    The X-7 won't work at all with your shifter. The SX-5 will work, and
    costs a little bit less.

    I don't know if this makes a difference, but the shifters are SRAM.

    Quoted message said:

    Modestly priced SRAM derailleurs these days are way too plasticky for
    my liking. I have messed up a SRAM X-7 shifter when trying to replace
    the cable, because some parts were made out of soft plastic that
    shouldn't have been. The X-7 derailleur suffers from the same general
    problem, but I haven't messed it up yet.

    I really wanted to like SRAM derailleurs, since they are the decendants
    of Sachs New Success derialleurs (my favorite ever), and since they are
    made a company that appears less noxious in its business practices than
    Brand S. I regret having to say it, but a Sh*mano derailleur is a
    better product at the price point in question.

    Chalo

  8. chuck said:


    Chalo said:


    The X-7 won't work at all with your shifter. The SX-5 will work, and
    costs a little bit less.

    I don't know if this makes a difference, but the shifters are SRAM.

    If they worked with a 105 derailleur, they won't work with the X-7
    derailleur. But they will work with the SX-5.

    Chalo

  9. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <eG04g.2857$E41.18@trnddc03>,

    chuck said:


    It's a Giant cypress SX with 10K miles on it. All the miles are on a
    limestone trail. I'd just like to get through this year. I'm now
    interested in a touring bike that I can run 38c or maybe 42c tires on
    while staying under $1000. I do want drop bars. I'm interested in any
    advice on this.

    _ There are a lot more choices now than a few years ago, the REI
    Randonne is a very nice bike in that price range.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBRFJlmWTWTAjn5N/lAQHcBwP/eL87IQyE/UsNTSZTp4GQ9VVOeu4duUT0
    rCsZNE+oGniSOZUYMKv7yaI5Dg1zoej/QKiSbWFm3ZuBup6DbcVwmdDoYvX735nS
    qMjfxaQXHxGp/umhNZH5zZm420Z6UWF2x01r/gKzx/G9lwLVakE6DsxVVk3Eo7yf
    AF0q1y2zkpc=
    =mlBJ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  10. Chalo said:
    chuck said:


    Chalo said:


    The X-7 won't work at all with your shifter. The SX-5 will work, and
    costs a little bit less.

    I don't know if this makes a difference, but the shifters are SRAM.

    If they worked with a 105 derailleur, they won't work with the X-7
    derailleur. But they will work with the SX-5.

    Chalo

    Thanks for this advice. You saved me a week of waiting for a second
    order. My old grip shifter was already worn through the rubber and many
    coats of Shoe Goo anyways. Plus, Nashbar had the new one on sale for
    $9.95. Its been many miles since this bike has shifted as well as it
    does now. I guess $100 worth of parts should do that for a bike. After
    replacing the sticky rear brake, the thing pedals a little easier
    too...amazing.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.