Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Slow Joe Recumbo's great adventure.......

Started by JEGARH · · Last activity · 14 posts · 943 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
18 November 2003
Last activity
23 November 2003
Original author
JEGARH
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
943
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey there Joe,

    You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.

    You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the start...and waiting....and waiting....

    I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning to ride.

    Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you were DNF..

    I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?

    Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????

    jERRY
    😕

  2. HI Jerry...

    Thanks for the thoughts and your timing is propitious. Had on my to do list this week to write the
    final chapter of the PBP Quest. Thought I posted something along these lines yesterday, but
    apparantly I messed up.

    Reader's Digest Version: I was/am too slow and need to find a way to increase my speed about 10%
    for 2007. In France it took me 31 hours to go 280 miles to Loudeac whereas in the states I did
    370 miles in
    32.5 hours. That 31 hours inclued about 2.5 hours of sleep and NO stopping along the way. When I
    left for Brest, after about 25 to 30 miles I stopped, calculated my speed and found it would take
    me 100 to 110 hours to finish PBP at my current rate, turned around to Loudeac, turned in my card
    and simply cried. Then I biked back 300 miles. All told I did 650 miles in 90 hours with 9 hours
    of sleep. When I look back, if I kept going I just might have made in 80 hours, so I'm still
    kicking myself.

    I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
    joepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.comjoepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.com

    Cheers

    Slow Joe Recumbo

    JEGARH <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Joe,

    You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.

    You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the
    start...and waiting....and waiting....

    I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving
    you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning
    to ride.

    Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you were DNF..

    I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?

    Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????

    jERRY 😕

  3. "Joe Keenan" skrev...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
    joepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.comjoepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.com

    Nice website. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try some brevets this year if the taxidermi...taxpeople
    don't skin me. They do hold them in non-PBP years I hope?

    Mikael

  4. Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
    "Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
    populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your recumbent.

    Slow Joe

    "Mikael Seierup"

    Quoted message said:

    Nice website. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try some brevets this year if the taxidermi...taxpeople
    don't skin me. They do hold them in non-PBP years I hope?

    Mikael

  5. I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a glass
    of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe

    Bill Marsh

    --
    In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac
    to make it normal.

    "Joe Keenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    HI Jerry...

    Thanks for the thoughts and your timing is propitious. Had on my to do list this week to write the
    final chapter of the PBP Quest. Thought I posted something along these lines yesterday, but
    apparantly I messed up.

    Reader's Digest Version: I was/am too slow and need to find a way to increase my speed about 10%
    for 2007. In France it took me 31 hours to go 280 miles to Loudeac whereas in the states I did 370
    miles in
    32.5 hours. That 31 hours inclued about 2.5 hours of sleep and NO stopping along the way. When I
    left for Brest, after about 25 to 30 miles I stopped, calculated my speed and found it would
    take me 100 to 110 hours to finish PBP at my current rate, turned around to Loudeac, turned in
    my card and simply cried. Then I biked back 300 miles. All told I did 650 miles in 90 hours
    with 9 hours of sleep. When I look back, if I kept going I just might have made in 80 hours, so
    I'm still kicking myself.

    I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
    joepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.comjoepbp2003.crazyguyonabike.com

    Cheers

    Slow Joe Recumbo

    JEGARH <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Joe,

    You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.

    You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the
    start...and waiting....and waiting....

    I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving
    you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning
    to ride.

    Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you
    were DNF..

    I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?

    Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????

    jERRY 😕

  6. Joe Keenan said:


    Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
    "Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
    populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your recumbent.

    I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
    <http://www.audax-club.dk/>

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  7. "bill marsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a glass
    of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe

    Bill Marsh


    Hi Swampy!!

    Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!! The true test if I can do PBP in 2007
    will be when I try Boston-Montreal-Boston in August of 2004. In the meantime, keep the V-Rex moving
    along. I see a Strada in my future.

    Slow Joe

  8. Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Joe Keenan said:


    Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
    "Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
    populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your
    recumbent.

    I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
    <http://www.audax-club.dk/>

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

    Tom,

    What would be "more better" is if I flew over there and did a few brevets in Denmark!!

    Slow Joe

  9. "Joe Keenan" skrev

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
    <http://www.audax-club.dk/>

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

    Tom,

    What would be "more better" is if I flew over there and did a few brevets in Denmark!!

    I just wondered if brevets are a yearly occurrence. Since its an international organisation anyone
    should be able to answer. I wouldn't recommend brevets here if they stick to the same dates as this
    year. Most likely bloody cold. (Although I did in fact ride in shorts and T-shirt in the middle of
    April this year. Go global warming!)

    Mikael

  10. In a different post "Mikael Seierup" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news> I just
    wondered if brevets are a yearly occurrence.:

    Quoted message said:

    Since its an international organisation anyone should be able to answer. I wouldn't recommend
    brevets here if they stick to the same dates as this year. Most likely bloody cold. (Although I
    did in fact ride in shorts and T-shirt in the middle of April this year. Go global warming!)

    Mikael

    Dear Mikael,

    In the states under our governing organization RUSA (www.rusa.org) anyone with a passion for brevets
    can apply to be a Regional Brevet Administrator. When approved the RBA can then run sanctioned
    brevets. For example, in Florida there are 3 individuals running three different brevet series in
    2004, while other states have zero.

    Here's a good link from the British Columbia Randonneur Club. Looks like they've got a bit of
    everything, inluding some international brevets in 2004.

    randonneurs.bc.calinks.html

    Now how does this related to recumbents? Simple, you'll be more comfortable on a long distance
    endurance ride on a recumbent. 🙂

    Cheers

    Slow Joe Recumbo

  11. Joe Keenan said:

    ... Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!!...

    If you found a suitable Lycra clad French Female on an upright, I believe your determination to stay
    in her draft would be increased. 🙂

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  12. --

    "Joe Keenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "bill marsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a
    glass of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe

    Bill Marsh


    Hi Swampy!!

    Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!! The true test if I can do PBP in 2007
    will be when I try Boston-Montreal-Boston in August of 2004. In the meantime, keep the V-Rex
    moving along. I see a Strada in my future.

    Slow Joe


    Good Morning Joe: I don't plan on anything like Boston-Montreal-Boston next year but I do see an
    Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot believe how good it
    feels. It makes an old man young again. Good to hear from you. Where are you now back in winter
    riding country{fla) or up north?

    Your buddy Swampy

  13. bill marsh said:

    ... but I do see an Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot
    believe how good it feels. It makes an old man young again....

    Attention Rich Pinto - Here is your new advertising slogan:

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  14. --
    In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac
    to make it normal.

    "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    bill marsh said:

    ... but I do see an Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot
    believe how good it feels. It makes an old man young again....

    Attention Rich Pinto - Here is your new advertising slogan:

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth


    Very good Tom LOL Bill (swampy)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.