Road Cycling · Public discussion

Sloped Top Tube TdF Bikes

Started by Stephen Harding · · Last activity · 11 posts · 367 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 July 2004
Last activity
13 July 2004
Original author
Stephen Harding
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
367
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Been watching some of the Tour de France action
    on TV and noticed there seemed to be an awful
    large number of bikes with sloped (non-horizontal)
    top tubes.

    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    Is this just the current "style" for road racing
    bikes, or is it a function of the way bikes are
    made for "little guys" who seem to predominate
    bike racing (sort of analogous to horse jockeys
    I suppose), or am I just totally mis-observing the
    race and there is no difference in the numbers of
    slanted top tube bikes from previous years?

    Go Lance!

    SMH

  2. "Stephen Harding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    When was the last time you were in a high-end bike shop,
    or out on a group ride with the "A" riders?

    Everything has been compact frame for the last three
    years.

  3. "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:VanHc.984457$Pk3.492459@pd7tw1no...

    Quoted message said:


    "Stephen Harding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    When was the last time you were in a high-end bike shop,
    or out on a group ride with the "A" riders?

    Everything has been compact frame for the last three
    years.

    I guess someone forgot to tell Lance!

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=usps_stage3/CN-TDF04-Tech35_LA_trek
    -and several other Tde F teams.

  4. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stephen Harding said:

    Been watching some of the Tour de France action
    on TV and noticed there seemed to be an awful
    large number of bikes with sloped (non-horizontal)
    top tubes.

    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    Is this just the current "style" for road racing
    bikes, or is it a function of the way bikes are
    made for "little guys" who seem to predominate
    bike racing (sort of analogous to horse jockeys
    I suppose), or am I just totally mis-observing the
    race and there is no difference in the numbers of
    slanted top tube bikes from previous years?

    _ It's a style thing. Several of the large manufacturers
    have switched to the compact style so they can make
    fewer sizes or better bikes or something... For these
    guys it's important that the racers race on something
    that looks like the bike in the shop. After all that's
    why they sponsor the team.

    _ Compact frames make a lot of sense for people with
    short legs and long torsos. You'll find very few with
    that body build racing the TdF though.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQO7VeWTWTAjn5N/lAQF8VAP/SSZdFJx93dl7uX55EJiq/zG4PZGeT3JF
    X8w1toB4vqAuzhXsS/u2GKtXZJwncQNonGJZlp+i4SkwgO8VmHxGQS6TyciMjCEg
    /MPq0tHCua7VlJJdlnqqj8s+YF+LxRfgtS365GjH0bV73EpC9I1uqBYUVVBtx6U8
    DG/E+as45Lg=
    =yVop
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. Quoted message said:

    Stephen Harding [email hidden]

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    is it a function of the way bikes are
    made for "little guys"

    We prefer the phrase "reasonably-sized guys". <g>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  6. Fabrizio Mazzoleni said:

    "Stephen Harding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    When was the last time you were in a high-end bike shop,
    or out on a group ride with the "A" riders?

    Everything has been compact frame for the last three
    years.

    I'm a Fred Fab, so that must explain it.

    BTW, where are you keeping yourself in the peloton?
    Everyone looks so much alike massed together in the
    big group I haven't been able to pick you out.

    Even the announcers don't seem to mention your name.

    SMH

  7. On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:08:26 -0400, Stephen Harding <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Fabrizio Mazzoleni said:

    "Stephen Harding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    When was the last time you were in a high-end bike shop,
    or out on a group ride with the "A" riders?

    Everything has been compact frame for the last three
    years.

    I'm a Fred Fab, so that must explain it.

    BTW, where are you keeping yourself in the peloton?
    Everyone looks so much alike massed together in the
    big group I haven't been able to pick you out.

    Even the announcers don't seem to mention your name.

    SMH

    Dude, he's obviously riding under an alias so that he doesn't steal the
    limelight from Lance and Jan. I mean he -is- world renown and the most
    famous cyclist on the 'Net. Give the guy a little slack. He gives and gives
    and now you want him to carry the show on the Tour? He's only one man,
    fercrissakes.

    -Badger

  8. Badger_South said:

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:08:26 -0400, Stephen Harding <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, where are you keeping yourself in the peloton?
    Everyone looks so much alike massed together in the
    big group I haven't been able to pick you out.

    Even the announcers don't seem to mention your name.


    Dude, he's obviously riding under an alias so that he doesn't steal the
    limelight from Lance and Jan. I mean he -is- world renown and the most
    famous cyclist on the 'Net. Give the guy a little slack. He gives and gives
    and now you want him to carry the show on the Tour? He's only one man,
    fercrissakes.

    I had him pegged as a super domestique!

    SMH

  9. Booker C. Bense <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stephen Harding said:

    Been watching some of the Tour de France action
    on TV and noticed there seemed to be an awful
    large number of bikes with sloped (non-horizontal)
    top tubes.

    I don't particularly remember this from previous
    tours, but I've never had access to cable to watch
    the stages before either.

    Is this just the current "style" for road racing
    bikes, or is it a function of the way bikes are
    made for "little guys" who seem to predominate
    bike racing (sort of analogous to horse jockeys
    I suppose), or am I just totally mis-observing the
    race and there is no difference in the numbers of
    slanted top tube bikes from previous years?

    _ It's a style thing. Several of the large manufacturers
    have switched to the compact style so they can make
    fewer sizes or better bikes or something... For these
    guys it's important that the racers race on something
    that looks like the bike in the shop. After all that's
    why they sponsor the team.

    _ Compact frames make a lot of sense for people with
    short legs and long torsos. You'll find very few with
    that body build racing the TdF though.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    I've seen different explanations for the trend, including the sizing
    issue you mention. One superiority claim I've heard is that a compact
    frame is lighter because it uses less material. That may be true, but
    I can't see that it would make much difference to the pros because
    even the bikes with classical geometry are hovering right on the
    weight limit. There's just not much lower to go.

    Regards,
    Richard Stanz

  10. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden]

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    One superiority claim I've heard is that a compact
    frame is lighter because it uses less material.

    ---snip---

    The frame itself maybe lighter but compact frames often mean longer seat tubes
    and stems. That adds weight to the finished bike and since no one I know rides
    on *just* a frame the claimed weight savings may not exist. For some a bike
    built on a compact frame may actually weigh *more*.

    Quoted message said:

    I can't see that it would make much difference to the pros because
    even the bikes with classical geometry are hovering right on the
    weight limit.

    True but the builders aren't selling bikes to the pros. They are selling to the
    rest of us and touting those lower frame weights with the implication that we
    don't have to spend megabucks to get a truly light bike. I've read- and my
    personal experience seems to confirm- that after a certain point (usually given
    as 17 or 18 lbs depending on frame size) the cost of every ounce you shave
    increases exponentially. Removing an ounce from a 17 lb bike may cost $200.
    Removing an ounce from a 16 lb bike may cost $2000. Given that, it's just good
    marketing to point out the lower weight of compact frames. It is a little
    misleading to not add the caveats about the higher weights of components but
    that's a whole other issue.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. Current fad.
    -----------
    Alex

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.