Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Six13 Chainrings fell apart.....

Started by Jaguar27 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,422 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 November 2005
Last activity
11 November 2005
Original author
Jaguar27
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,422
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I never learn....I periodically run some wrenches over all the Bolts on my Bike...well, not ALL obviously because a couple of Sundays ago my Chainrings came adrift because I lost 4 out of 5 Bolts that hold them together....I couldn't believe it...luckily I wasn't climbing...all of a sudden it felt as if my Chain had broken...what happened I discovered was that the two chainrings had fallen and gone excentric to the BB...only one bolt was hanging on by a few threads...I managed to tighten it with my Front door key just enough to hold everything together and made it back to the Car...about 10 miles.....

    A few weeks before that my rear Cassette came loose...the lock ring I discovered was less than finger tight.....

    In future I need to pay attention to ALL the Hardware on my Bike....I could lose a wheel next time...knowing my luck!!! :eek:

  2. Jaguar27 said:

    I never learn....I periodically run some wrenches over all the Bolts on my Bike...well, not ALL obviously because a couple of Sundays ago my Chainrings came adrift because I lost 4 out of 5 Bolts that hold them together....I couldn't believe it...luckily I wasn't climbing...all of a sudden it felt as if my Chain had broken...what happened I discovered was that the two chainrings had fallen and gone excentric to the BB...only one bolt was hanging on by a few threads...I managed to tighten it with my Front door key just enough to hold everything together and made it back to the Car...about 10 miles.....

    A few weeks before that my rear Cassette came loose...the lock ring I discovered was less than finger tight.....

    In future I need to pay attention to ALL the Hardware on my Bike....I could lose a wheel next time...knowing my luck!!! :eek:

    Make sure your aZZ is screwed on tight too.

  3. Jaguar27 said:

    I never learn....I periodically run some wrenches over all the Bolts on my Bike...well, not ALL obviously because a couple of Sundays ago my Chainrings came adrift because I lost 4 out of 5 Bolts that hold them together....I couldn't believe it...luckily I wasn't climbing...all of a sudden it felt as if my Chain had broken...what happened I discovered was that the two chainrings had fallen and gone excentric to the BB...only one bolt was hanging on by a few threads...I managed to tighten it with my Front door key just enough to hold everything together and made it back to the Car...about 10 miles.....

    A few weeks before that my rear Cassette came loose...the lock ring I discovered was less than finger tight.....

    In future I need to pay attention to ALL the Hardware on my Bike....I could lose a wheel next time...knowing my luck!!! :eek:

    You could have caused your own problem. The bolts you speak of are usually applied with locktite to keep them from becoming loose. When you retighten a bolt that has locktite on it you in essence remove the product.

  4. I get what you're saying but there was no Loctite on the chainring Bolts, well, none on the remainding one anyway, I couldn't tell if the others had it because they were GONE!!...I might use some Blue Loctite on these Bolts next time I do some stuff on my bike....

    basso97 said:

    You could have caused your own problem. The bolts you speak of are usually applied with locktite to keep them from becoming loose. When you retighten a bolt that has locktite on it you in essence remove the product.

  5. basso97 said:

    You could have caused your own problem. The bolts you speak of are usually applied with locktite to keep them from becoming loose. When you retighten a bolt that has locktite on it you in essence remove the product.


    Never had a problem with loose chainring bolts, or seen locktite being used on them. Based on my limited experience, just using the normal spec'd torque holds them fine.

  6. See the thread I started on this same subject for more stories:

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t292685-.html

  7. I just read your other post, kinda the same situation as mine except I lost 4 out of 5...and yes, I think it's highly unlikely that I lost all 4 at the same time...at first I never felt any shifting problems I just noticed a clicking sound coming from somewhere...

    I also discovered it's possible to ride home with one bolt tightened somewhat with a door key...but I shifted so the chain was straight and took it very easy....

    Luckily I called my LBS and he had bolts in stock, he couldn't believe what had happened...I find it hard to believe myself....

    DiabloScott said:

    See the thread I started on this same subject for more stories:

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t292685-.html

  8. dhk said:

    Never had a problem with loose chainring bolts, or seen locktite being used on them. Based on my limited experience, just using the normal spec'd torque holds them fine.

    You got it.The locktite business is BS.

  9. boudreaux said:

    You got it.The locktite business is BS.

    are new Shimano cranks Loctited?

    I've had 3 new pair this year, and the bolts were SO friggin tight I couldn't believe it.

  10. Fat Hack said:

    are new Shimano cranks Loctited?

    I've had 3 new pair this year, and the bolts were SO friggin tight I couldn't believe it.

    I don't find loctite on them.They are just tight. I've frigged with chainring bolts for years,no loctite and never a loose one.

  11. boudreaux said:

    I don't find loctite on them.They are just tight. I've frigged with chainring bolts for years,no loctite and never a loose one.


    Funny, my brand new FSA alloy chainring bolts all came with what appeared to be teflon tape on each. LocTite everything and torque to specs, it's worth the peace of mind.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.