Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Sitting or Standing/uphill battles

Started by Alan McClure · · Last activity · 15 posts · 706 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
2 July 2003
Last activity
3 July 2003
Original author
Alan McClure
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
706
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if anyone
    has any more info. on it, or any added experience. pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    I think that I have found my own experience is pretty similar, when the incline is moderate, then
    sitting seems easier, while if the incline is steep, standing seems to make the work easier. Of
    course, I am no professional cyclist, but my legs are fairly well developed, so I would think that
    my experience would make sense by its meshing with the article's view. Anyway, for a long time I
    tried to climb everything sitting, and then after a while only resorted to standing on the really
    difficult(steep and technical) sections that would consistently drain my energy reserves. Sometimes
    on the uphills I think about buying barends, because I think it may help me keep my weight
    positioned properly more easily, but I never buy any because of cost, the possibility of hooking a
    tree, and the increased possibility of hooking me during a crash. Maybe I should reconsider. Anyway,
    I guess I just switched from one topic to another--oh well, they are connected anyway.

    Alan McClure

  2. Alan McClure said:

    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill?

    Sometimes both on the same hill, and I never criticize what works for others. <G> The bike,
    terrain, available gearing, knee condition, fitness, personal preference, etc... all come into play
    when climbing.

    Climbing also depends on the bike. I tend to stand more often on hardtails and road bikes, while
    sitting more often on full bouncers.

    Barry

  3. B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan McClure said:

    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill?

    Sometimes both on the same hill, and I never criticize what works for others. <G> The bike,
    terrain, available gearing, knee condition, fitness, personal preference, etc... all come into
    play when climbing.

    Climbing also depends on the bike. I tend to stand more often on hardtails and road bikes, while
    sitting more often on full bouncers.

    Barry

    I nearly always sit for climbs - the only time I ever really stand for a climb is to negotiate a
    ledgey move or similar. I find standing makes it harder to keep a balance between good traction and
    keeping the front end of the bike down. I sit and hunker right down low on the bike, right on the
    nose of the saddle, and 'twitch' my weight fore and aft whenever needed. I'm no superstar of
    climbing, but for my level of fitness, (I'd like to believe) I do more than OK ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  4. Alan McClure said:


    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience. pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    I think that I have found my own experience is pretty similar, when the incline is moderate, then
    sitting seems easier, while if the incline is steep, standing seems to make the work easier. Of
    course, I am no professional cyclist, but my legs are fairly well developed, so I would think
    that my experience would make sense by its meshing with the article's view. Anyway, for a long
    time I tried to climb everything sitting, and then after a while only resorted to standing on the
    really difficult(steep and technical) sections that would consistently drain my energy reserves.
    Sometimes on the uphills I think about buying barends, because I think it may help me keep my
    weight positioned properly more easily, but I never buy any because of cost, the possibility of
    hooking a tree, and the increased possibility of hooking me during a crash. Maybe I should
    reconsider. Anyway, I guess I just switched from one topic to another--oh well, they are
    connected anyway.

    Alan McClure

    Will depend somewhat on the bike, no? On a hardtail, getting out of the saddle on the
    steep/technical stuff allows you to shift your your weight around more nimbly, keeping the front
    down and the rear hooked up. Full sus would be different, I suppose. Are you having trouble
    climbing? If not, don't change
    it.

    As far as bar ends go, find a used pair from a friend and try them. I tried them, then ditched them
    for riser bars. Have never missed them.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  5. Alan McClure said:


    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience. pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    Then again, that's all road cycling.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  6. J'm Sm'th said:
    Alan McClure said:


    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience.
    pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    I think that I have found my own experience is pretty similar, when the incline is moderate, then
    sitting seems easier, while if the incline is steep, standing seems to make the work easier. Of
    course, I am no professional cyclist, but my legs are fairly well developed, so I would think
    that my experience would make sense by its meshing with the article's view. Anyway, for a long
    time I tried to climb everything sitting, and then after a while only resorted to standing on the
    really difficult(steep and technical) sections that would consistently drain my energy reserves.
    Sometimes on the uphills I think about buying barends, because I think it may help me keep my
    weight positioned properly more easily, but I never buy any because of cost, the possibility of
    hooking a tree, and the increased possibility of hooking me during a crash. Maybe I should
    reconsider. Anyway, I guess I just switched from one topic to another--oh well, they are
    connected anyway.

    Alan McClure

    Will depend somewhat on the bike, no? On a hardtail, getting out of the saddle on the
    steep/technical stuff allows you to shift your your weight around more nimbly, keeping the front
    down and the rear hooked up. Full sus would be different, I suppose. Are you having trouble
    climbing? If not, don't change
    it.

    As far as bar ends go, find a used pair from a friend and try them. I tried them, then ditched
    them for riser bars. Have never missed them.

    Standing though tends to be harder for some reason than sitting -- if you put too much weight on the
    front, you'll lose traction in the rear (which means, in AZ anyway, you walk). It's harder for me
    than sitting, although I tend to stand quite a bit.

    For bar ends -- I love them. I really crank on them when standing. I wouldn't have a mountain bike
    without them.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  7. Alan McClure said:

    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience. pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    A higher VO2max ... "Fitness can be measured by the volume of oxygen you can consume while
    exercising at your maximum capacity. VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen in milliliters, one can
    use in one minute per kilogram of body weight."

    brianmac.demon.co.ukvo2max.htm

    Yeah, that matches my experience. You can give yourself a burst of speed, but at the risk of
    using up what's in your legs. (Though there are interesting notes on that page about how to
    improve your VO2max.)

  8. J'm Sm'th <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan McClure said:


    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience.
    pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    Then again, that's all road cycling.

    The devil's work.

    Sitting or standing is situational to the rider, bicycle and conditions.

    JD

  9. JD said:

    J'm Sm'th <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan McClure said:

    > To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article


    online, and I

    Quoted message said:

    was wondering if anyone has any more info. on it, or any added


    experience.

    Quoted message said:

    pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    Then again, that's all road cycling.

    The devil's work.

    Sitting or standing is situational to the rider, bicycle and conditions.

    JD

    I've found it way easier to stand while road biking than mountain biking. You don't have to
    worry too much about weight transfer when riding a racing bike (or a mountain bike on the road),
    unless it's wet.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  10. ~"Alan McClure" <[email hidden]> wrote in message ~news:rwtMa.14390~$Xm3.3036@sccrnsc02... ~To
    sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I ~was wondering if anyone
    has any more info. on it, or any added experience.

    There was a thread on rec.bicycles.racing regarding knee pain on the upper front of the knee cap.
    What I got out of it was that higher cadence in an easier gear, while standing would help alleviate
    stress on the knees. I had been sitting and grinding out climbs and was regularly sore and in pain
    the next day (while climbing stairs). I have noticed far less knee pain since changing the climbing
    style (and I seem in better condition at the top of the climb).

    Granted, the advice was free and from usenet from someone who may or may not be a doctor, but for my
    specific problem, it seems to have helped.

    Mike

    The text from the relevant post is quoted below:

    About the only knee problems seen with any frequency in cyclists are Patello-Femoral syndromes, i.e.
    things related to the knee cap mechanism and the joint between the knee cap and the femur. There are
    several different entities which can cause this; patellar or quadriceps tendonitis, chondromalacia,
    patellar instability, etc. The tendonitis problems are caused by strain and subsequent inflammation
    on the attachment between the tendon and the bone. Chondromalacia is a problem with developing
    irregularities under the knee cap in the patello-femoral joint. Pretty common problem for bike
    riders. Patients often notice a clicking or catching when extending the knee from a flexed position.

    For all these problems the pain is in the anterior portion of the knee, around the knee cap. They
    will all get worse if there is increased force applied by the quadriceps, particularly if this
    occurs while the knee is in a more flexed position. Climbing stairs or ladders causes more problem,
    as does riding up hill or in higher gears.

    In general for all anterior knee pain problems and cycling the approach is the same; heat before and
    ice after riding, NSAIDs (ibuprofen, et. al.), keeping knees warm while riding, lower gears,
    standing occasionally rather than sitting and grinding. For positioning you want to raise the saddle
    and put it further back. It can also help to use a shorter crank. These positions make it so there
    is less flex in the knee at the top of the stroke (during max quadriceps contraction) and therefore
    less force against the patello-femoral mechanism. Avoiding hills and using lower gears is also a
    good idea. Standing, rather than sitting and grinding, on hills is probably better. This decreases
    the force across the patello-femoral mechanism.

    Stretching the opposing (hamstring) muscles may decreased force a bit. Use of a knee sleeve or
    infra-patellar strap may limit the excursion of the patella or move forces away from the
    attachment of the tendon to the patella and help somewhat. Exercises are often recommended but I
    suspect that they are probably more useful in the non-athletic population and/or those with
    patellar instability issues.

    Beyond this there really isn't much info. Unfortunately there are not many orthopedists that have
    much experience with problems seen in cyclists, in part because the number of injured cyclists is
    pretty small.

    There is a reasonable article at: aafp.org2012.html

    Posterior knee pain is usually a sign of inflammation inside the joint and possibly a development of
    a Baker's cyst (an extension of the knee joint capsule into the "knee pit"😉. The other alternative
    is tendonitis of the hamstrings, which is fairly uncommon. Hamstrings tendonitis should be treated
    by lowering the saddle, using lower gears, keeping the legs warm, etc. Baker's cysts need to be
    addressed by looking at the underlying problem, often a cartilage tear obtained in another sport.

    Mike Murray MD

  11. "J'm Sm'th" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As far as bar ends go, find a used pair from a friend and try them. I


    tried

    Quoted message said:

    them, then ditched them for riser bars. Have never missed them.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

    My 2 cents on bar ends. I was thinking about this today on my morning ride. My FS is still in pieces
    and has not been ridden in 3 weeks, it has risers. My back up HT does not have risers, it has bull
    horns, essentially a straight bar with ends. I'm out on the "bar ends" much of the time on the
    climb, in part because I can get more laid out, but I think mostly because it makes the front end
    less twitchy. On the FS with risers, there are no bar ends, but the front does not feel twitchy.

    So I wonder to myself, self, is the similarity of the flat bar with ends and the riser w/o that both
    allow me to get sufficiently wide (knowing that typical risers are wider than typical straights) and
    therefore have a more stable front end? Is this why so many folks say that once they went to risers,
    they were not interested in bar ends? Maybe, maybe not. I do think that risers with ends looks
    awkward, and I just don't need to add more "awkward" to my biking look!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  12. Mike Cox NoSpamThanks_sch- said:


    ~"Alan McClure" <[email hidden]> wrote in message ~news:rwtMa.14390~$Xm3.3036@sccrnsc02...
    ~To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I ~was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience.


    [cut]

    You also have to compare mountain bike gearing and racing bike gearing. With "normal" (not 3 front
    chainrings) racing bikes, the gearing can get harsh. I've decreased the front chainring size and
    increased the rear cog size, but on my racing bike, there's certain hills where I have to stand.
    Sitting on those hills would mean quite a lot of pressure on my knees. However, on my mountain bike,
    I could easy spin up the same hills while sitting. The gearing on mountain bikes is so much easier
    than on racing bikes (although my next racing bike will likely be a tripple front chainring). Also,
    even on smaller hills, I'll stand just to provide my body with a different position.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  13. "Bob M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You also have to compare mountain bike gearing and racing bike gearing. With "normal" (not 3 front
    chainrings) racing bikes, the gearing can get harsh.


    True, I suppose it is like comparing tangerines and oranges.

    Mike

  14. "Alan McClure" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<rwtMa.14390$Xm3.3036@sccrnsc02>...

    Quoted message said:

    To sit or to stand when climbing uphill? I found this article online, and I was wondering if
    anyone has any more info. on it, or any added experience. pponline.co.uk0045.htm

    I think that I have found my own experience is pretty similar, when the incline is moderate, then
    sitting seems easier, while if the incline is steep, standing seems to make the work easier. Of
    course, I am no professional cyclist, but my legs are fairly well developed, so I would think
    that my experience would make sense by its meshing with the article's view. Anyway, for a long
    time I tried to climb everything sitting, and then after a while only resorted to standing on the
    really difficult(steep and technical) sections that would consistently drain my energy reserves.
    Sometimes on the uphills I think about buying barends, because I think it may help me keep my
    weight positioned properly more easily, but I never buy any because of cost, the possibility of
    hooking a tree, and the increased possibility of hooking me during a crash. Maybe I should
    reconsider. Anyway, I guess I just switched from one topic to another--oh well, they are
    connected anyway.

    Alan McClure

    I generally prefer to sit on climbs but that is by all means not 100%. On long climbs it's good to
    switch positions for at least part of the climb to rest your muscles and prevent things from going
    numb. I also tend to stand on short/ steep climbs when I don't want to downshift. Standing on really
    steep sections often causes the rear tire to spin out though so its a judgement call.

    Do what works for you.

    -- The Ogre

  15. Chris Carmichael says he recommends to LANCE to stand and climb in lower gears at LANCE's trademark
    high cadence in order to shift some of the workload from LANCE's leg muscles to his cardio system.

    I ride a FSX bike off-road, so I spend most of my time sitting. The suspension keeps the rear wheel
    on the ground over bumps, and also soaks up some of your pedaling power. I actually prefer rough
    trails with sketchy traction nowadays.

    On the road, if I had a higher power-to-weight ratio I think I'd spend more time standing. I do
    stand up for recovery. Once you practice and train, you can find an efficient technique that
    permits recovery.

    Pro racers do both kinds of climbing on the same climb, usually.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.