Cycling Training · Public discussion

Should I focus on climbing or sprinting?

Started by Cyclist14 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,525 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
14 November 2006
Last activity
15 November 2006
Original author
Cyclist14
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,525
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am currently a 16 y/o Cat. 4 and I will be a Cat. 3 by next May at the latest. I prefer long road races and I am 6ft. 3in. tall, 157 lbs. ( 150 race weight)

    In several races I have attacked on the final climb, been brought back and then proceeded to top 10 the sprint and in most Junior races I win the field sprint.

    In recent training I have learned to get deeper into "the zone" and increase my speed ( and suffering) on climbs, I can also stay within a minute of one of my teammates who is a super-climber on a 3 1/2 mile climb 6% grade ( he almost won the KOM competition at the tour of l'abitta) I have also become a better time trialist and I see myself averaging 28 mph next year ( PR was 26.5 mph for 10 miles this year 22:40, on a reasonably windy course, headwind one side, tailwind other side)

    At my AT I can put out 420 watts and I don't know my max although my rear wheel slips when I sprint at the maximum ( I haven't been tested in over a year, no powermeter[img]cyclingforums.comfrown.gif[/img]) I can leg press 400 lbs for 12 reps and I can sprint at 38.5-40 mph with junior gearing and my max leg speed (on the trainer) is 198 rpm, on the road it's about 160-170. I have reasonably good bike handling , but I am still slightly intimidated in race situations ( i.e: cornering on the outside of another person)

    Basically, with my build and race history, should I focus on climbing, sprinting or compromise and focus on both?

  2. Cyclist14 said:

    Basically, with my build and race history, should I focus on climbing, sprinting or compromise and focus on both?


    Have you tried track cycling?

  3. This is a wonderful question you're asking yourself at your age.

    Long term view, or long term periodization is an interesting topic.

    At the moment, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on one aspect while neglecting an other. Therefore it shouldn't be one Or the other.

    I also like Pureshot little comment. Don't rule out track cycling if you have access to this type of facilities in your area.

    Your racing history suggests that you're gifted on the anaerobic (sprint) side already. This will easily be confirmed as soon as you ride equiped with a powermeter. Because then you'll be able to compare your short duration power with a chart (power profile).

    Until then, if I was your coach, I would probably emphasis the climbing, as well as any other aerobic (endurance) activity a little more. I would let your natural sprinting talent express itself. I bet you like to sprint anyway.

    That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be training short intervals, or doing some tracky work though.

    But first, why not bothering Santa Clauss with a powermeter request? I've heard he started using one for better deliverying the gifts 😄

  4. Thanks for the replies, unfortunately there are no velodrome's within five hours of where I live[img]cyclingforums.comfrown.gif[/img], but I am going to continue to develop both climbing and sprinting, my coach usually emphasize's shorter intervals ( mainly since we are still juniors) and power work ( i.e Hill Repeats and Max Rep. workouts in the gym) I probably won't be able to get a powertap next year because although we are sponsored by Cycleops we only get trainer's from them.

    This is off-topic but I am extremely happy for one of my teammates ( now ex-teammate) He was just signed by Hot Tubes Development Team ( hottubes.org)- an International Junior Team and at 16 he is already a Cat. 2 and he wins race's almost effortlessly, often top-fiving almost every race he is in.

    He will get a Cervelo Soloist team with Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's and Dura-Ace!

  5. Cyclist14 said:

    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately there are no velodrome's within five hours of where I live[img]cyclingforums.comfrown.gif[/img], but I am going to continue to develop both climbing and sprinting, my coach usually emphasize's shorter intervals ( mainly since we are still juniors) and power work ( i.e Hill Repeats and Max Rep. workouts in the gym) I probably won't be able to get a powertap next year because although we are sponsored by Cycleops we only get trainer's from them.

    This is off-topic but I am extremely happy for one of my teammates ( now ex-teammate) He was just signed by Hot Tubes Development Team ( hottubes.org)- an International Junior Team and at 16 he is already a Cat. 2 and he wins race's almost effortlessly, often top-fiving almost every race he is in.

    He will get a Cervelo Soloist team with Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's and Dura-Ace!


    dont focus on one discilpine...you will need all the tricks up your sleeve if want to be a professional. I am also 16 and am very confused at what type of cyclist I am- I am definitely a stronger climber than anything else but as I grow older/ bigger I expect i will develop more TT ability even sprinting ability.

    Just work for all round performance atm...eventually we will find out what were supposed to be good at😉 . We still have 4-5 years until it really gets serious.

  6. Cyclist14 said:

    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately there are no velodrome's within five hours of where I live[img]cyclingforums.comfrown.gif[/img], but I am going to continue to develop both climbing and sprinting, my coach usually emphasize's shorter intervals ( mainly since we are still juniors) and power work ( i.e Hill Repeats and Max Rep. workouts in the gym) I probably won't be able to get a powertap next year because although we are sponsored by Cycleops we only get trainer's from them.

    This is off-topic but I am extremely happy for one of my teammates ( now ex-teammate) He was just signed by Hot Tubes Development Team ( hottubes.org)- an International Junior Team and at 16 he is already a Cat. 2 and he wins race's almost effortlessly, often top-fiving almost every race he is in.

    He will get a Cervelo Soloist team with Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's and Dura-Ace!

    You talking about Ben King?

  7. Alder Martz, he is still being coached by my coach and I'll still train with him since he lives in my area.

    BTW, our team is now a National level junior team for next year and we will be racing Fitchburg, Athens Twilight and Nationals along with about 30 or 40 regional races

  8. dm69 said:

    dont focus on one discilpine...you will need all the tricks up your sleeve if want to be a professional. I am also 16 and am very confused at what type of cyclist I am- I am definitely a stronger climber than anything else but as I grow older/ bigger I expect i will develop more TT ability even sprinting ability.

    Just work for all round performance atm...eventually we will find out what were supposed to be good at😉 . We still have 4-5 years until it really gets serious.

    Absolutely on the omney dm69... although for some its 2-3 years before it starts getting pretty serious (you probably know Will Walker?)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.