Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shop mechanics: New Bike Builds

Started by FasterthanU · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,886 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 May 2008
Last activity
1 June 2008
Original author
FasterthanU
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,886
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey guys.

    I've been working at a bike shop for about 2 months now. I'm having a blast! I've been setting up a lot of new bikes lately and I am wondered how to get the best performance out of each bike I build. I put together mostly lower-mid level Diamondback bikes. They come preassembled, with little to do other than installing handlbars, pedals, seat, and front wheel. After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. Once I have done that and have put the bike in the stand, I focus on adjusting the wheels. The hubs are always overtightened. After adjusting the hubs, I true the wheels. Big question here: After stressing the wheels and putting them in the stand, they are mostly always off center. Should I true them to center or simply true them to where they are? I am aware that the greatest asset a wheel has going for itself is universal spoke tension. If I mess with moving the rim to center, I often screw with the universal tension. Is it in the best interest of the buyer to not bother messing with the dish of the wheels? If I do dish the wheels, should I just tighten on one side or should I tighten on one and loosen on the other? As you can tell, I'm not a true bicycle mechanic since I have not mastered the art of wheelbuilding yet. I'm excited to though.
    After installing the wheels, I move on to installing the rest of the bike. The headset and brakes are always in need of adjustment, so I do that. After installing and adjusting everything, my next step is making sure all bolts are tight. After this, the bike is done. How about you, what is your process for building up a bike? What are some tricks for going faster? How do you get the best out of a POS? -FTU

  2. "After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. "

    And you like to do this because...why? So the seat tube will slip down several inches the first time the rider hits a bump, perhaps? So maybe you'll get lucky and the rider will even lose control when it happens while descending at speed?!

    Do not grease the seat tube! Not when it's new; not when it's old. Not ever. It's supposed to be a tight fit and stay that way so it won't slip.

    Suggest before you build another bike (not that what you are doing constitutes building a bike), you read and understand the entire contents of the repair section of the Park Tools website, or at least those sections having to do with the parts of the bike you're messing with.

    By the way, someone with your apparent lack of knowledge should not be monkeying around with wheel dish/truing issues either.

  3. FasterthanU said:

    Hey guys.

    I've been working at a bike shop for about 2 months now. I'm having a blast! I've been setting up a lot of new bikes lately and I am wondered how to get the best performance out of each bike I build. I put together mostly lower-mid level Diamondback bikes. They come preassembled, with little to do other than installing handlbars, pedals, seat, and front wheel. After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. Once I have done that and have put the bike in the stand, I focus on adjusting the wheels. The hubs are always overtightened. After adjusting the hubs, I true the wheels. Big question here: After stressing the wheels and putting them in the stand, they are mostly always off center. Should I true them to center or simply true them to where they are? I am aware that the greatest asset a wheel has going for itself is universal spoke tension. If I mess with moving the rim to center, I often screw with the universal tension. Is it in the best interest of the buyer to not bother messing with the dish of the wheels? If I do dish the wheels, should I just tighten on one side or should I tighten on one and loosen on the other? As you can tell, I'm not a true bicycle mechanic since I have not mastered the art of wheelbuilding yet. I'm excited to though.
    After installing the wheels, I move on to installing the rest of the bike. The headset and brakes are always in need of adjustment, so I do that. After installing and adjusting everything, my next step is making sure all bolts are tight. After this, the bike is done. How about you, what is your process for building up a bike? What are some tricks for going faster? How do you get the best out of a POS? -FTU


    Every shop has its standards and most have a check list.
    You need to follow the standards and the check list of your shop.
    As for wheels, some will say measure first and if it meets the standard, leave it alone. Barnett Bicyle Institute will give you the correct training.
    You can download their wheel truing chapter;

    http://www.bbinstitute.com/DX%20Demo%20Chap%2017.pdf

    You are opening a large "can of worms", but there certainly people who can help you shave a lot of time and still meet the standards of your shop and check every item on the check list. Practice, tool placment, and experienced on site coaching will all help.
    I think your practice of greasing is OK, but some shops would have you Flex Hone or at least check for irregularities inside that could scratch the post first.

  4. OldGoat said:

    "After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. "

    And you like to do this because...why? So the seat tube will slip down several inches the first time the rider hits a bump, perhaps? So maybe you'll get lucky and the rider will even lose control when it happens while descending at speed?!

    Do not grease the seat tube! Not when it's new; not when it's old. Not ever. It's supposed to be a tight fit and stay that way so it won't slip.

    Suggest before you build another bike (not that what you are doing constitutes building a bike), you read and understand the entire contents of the repair section of the Park Tools website, or at least those sections having to do with the parts of the bike you're messing with.

    By the way, someone with your apparent lack of knowledge should not be monkeying around with wheel dish/truing issues either.

    I've been greasing seat tubes for 40 years now. I have never ever had a seat post slip on me because it had grease on it.Actually, I've never had a seat post slip on me for any reason. Possibly because I tighten them properly.
    I have however, seen a few seat tubes destroyed because the owner never bothered to take the seat tube out and regrease it regularly.

  5. Greasing the seat post is a must! If you don't you run the risk of corrosion and binding.
    For a carbon post the corrosion is less of a problem, but it helps prevent scratching the clear coat. Best to use a special grainy grease that helps the friction when the post is tightened but helps protect when loose.

  6. What I want to know is "what is your process for building up a bike? What are some tricks for going faster?"

  7. I greased my CF seatpost of old, and it never slipped...and the grease didn't cause the CF to explode.

  8. OldGoat said:

    Do not grease the seat tube! Not when it's new; not when it's old. Not ever. It's supposed to be a tight fit and stay that way so it won't slip.


    Can't say that I agree with this - I've seen a few posts jammed in there for good with preventable corrosion. I've never seen a greased post that couldn't be clamped adequately.

  9. FasterthanU said:

    Hey guys.

    I've been working at a bike shop for about 2 months now. I'm having a blast! I've been setting up a lot of new bikes lately and I am wondered how to get the best performance out of each bike I build. I put together mostly lower-mid level Diamondback bikes. They come preassembled, with little to do other than installing handlbars, pedals, seat, and front wheel. After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. Once I have done that and have put the bike in the stand, I focus on adjusting the wheels. The hubs are always overtightened. After adjusting the hubs, I true the wheels. Big question here: After stressing the wheels and putting them in the stand, they are mostly always off center. Should I true them to center or simply true them to where they are? I am aware that the greatest asset a wheel has going for itself is universal spoke tension. If I mess with moving the rim to center, I often screw with the universal tension. Is it in the best interest of the buyer to not bother messing with the dish of the wheels? If I do dish the wheels, should I just tighten on one side or should I tighten on one and loosen on the other? As you can tell, I'm not a true bicycle mechanic since I have not mastered the art of wheelbuilding yet. I'm excited to though.
    After installing the wheels, I move on to installing the rest of the bike. The headset and brakes are always in need of adjustment, so I do that. After installing and adjusting everything, my next step is making sure all bolts are tight. After this, the bike is done. How about you, what is your process for building up a bike? What are some tricks for going faster? How do you get the best out of a POS? -FTU

    This post speaks volumes about the state of bikes that often come out of bike shops and why people get frustrated with their new bike. I laud this gent for trying to do his best but the shop should recognize that the very best way to save money down the road on returned bikes is to spend the $ up front to have each new bike taken down to parade rest, then reassembled, including BBs, hubs, headset OVH, greasing, adjusting and true/round/tension and dish new wheels with them off the bike, tires off.
    The shop should invest in training the OP is things like the need to dish wheels, etc.

  10. OldGoat said:

    "After taking the bike out of the box, the first thing I like to do is grease the seat tube in order to install the seat and seat post. "

    And you like to do this because...why? So the seat tube will slip down several inches the first time the rider hits a bump, perhaps? So maybe you'll get lucky and the rider will even lose control when it happens while descending at speed?!

    Do not grease the seat tube! Not when it's new; not when it's old. Not ever. It's supposed to be a tight fit and stay that way so it won't slip.

    Suggest before you build another bike (not that what you are doing constitutes building a bike), you read and understand the entire contents of the repair section of the Park Tools website, or at least those sections having to do with the parts of the bike you're messing with.

    By the way, someone with your apparent lack of knowledge should not be monkeying around with wheel dish/truing issues either.

    Yer kidding about the seatpost, right? Grease to prevent the thing from bonding into the frame, never to be removed. If it's the proper size, grease, tighten the binder bolt and it won't slip.

  11. FasterthanU said:

    What I want to know is "what is your process for building up a bike? What are some tricks for going faster?"

    I guess you are being paid by the bike, not by the hour. A good complete, accurate job is what the goal is, not speed. But your shop may have other priorities.

  12. Hey dudes,

    I love all of your comments about my comment. The only thing is, I'm looking to address the subject of bike building, not to hear your opinion about my competency or the degree of professionalism of the shop I work at. I've been a serious home mechanic for 5 years now and I'm excited to finally work in a shop. I take pride in my work, which is why I am on here asking for your guidance and suggestions for building up new bikes. The shop that I work at doesn't have a sophisticated expert to train me in the art of mechanical "perfection." However, I have my library of books and this forum to help me out. I love bikes and will one day be a true professional. In order to get there, I'll need others to assist me and not be so critical of my questions. I am a quick learner and have what it takes to apply new knowledge. Be positive you guys! Answer my questions in a compassionate and gentle manner without putting me down for being where I am. It's all good-- either way. :o) -Chauncey

    P.S.- I'm just gonna' start a new post to help everyone focus. Ha! Ha! I'm still looking to build better bikes at work.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.