Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shimano 600 Parts for CAAD 8?

Started by Stoliker32 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,101 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 July 2009
Last activity
8 July 2009
Original author
Stoliker32
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,101
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a CAAD 8 road bike which I crashed and it needs several new parts. I was wondering if shimano 600 parts (cranks, derailers, shifters, brakes) will fit work properly on my bike. I'm really new to road biking so I'm a n00b and I really need to know if this will work because I found a good offer on these parts

  2. Stoliker32 said:

    I have a CAAD 8 road bike which I crashed and it needs several new parts. I was wondering if shimano 600 parts (cranks, derailers, shifters, brakes) will fit work properly on my bike. I'm really new to road biking so I'm a n00b and I really need to know if this will work because I found a good offer on these parts

    The Shimano 600 uses a SQUARE TAPER Bottom Bracket ... so, you'll probably need to buy one if the seller isn't including the BB with the rest of the components ...

    Otherwise, the Shimano 600 parts will fit your frame.

  3. what's the bottom bracket?
    Here's the description of the parts, if it helps: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/1257695109.html

  4. Stoliker32 said:

    what's the bottom bracket?
    Here's the description of the parts, if it helps: 16 speed shimano 600 group/with matrix wheels

    The bottom bracket is the bearing assembly and/or spindle/("axle"😉 which the crankarms are attached to.

    Now, whether or not the group that you are looking at is worth what the seller is asking depends on your sensibilities & wallet, or vice-versa ...

    If the group doesn't have a bottom bracket, you can get one from your LBS, eBay, or a place like Nashbar/Jenson's/etc. ASK THE SELLER.

  5. You should also be aware that the 600 group for sale is an 8 speed group and old enough that it's not clear if it uses downtube shifters or STI style integrated brake-shifters. What group are you replacing, 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed? And what style shifters have you been using? If your CAAD 8 uses integrated STI brake-shifters (aka brifters) and the 600 group uses old school downtube shifters then you might have a problem mounting the shifters on your frame.

    So you trashed every component in your group? You don't have a working crank, brakes, front or rear derailleur or either wheel to salvage for your rebuild?

    -Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.