General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Weekend Gathering

Started by Ubiquitous · · Last activity · 7 posts · 535 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 May 2005
Last activity
31 May 2005
Original author
Ubiquitous
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
535
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Weekend Gathering
    Today, we're heading outside for a Semi-Homemade Weekend Gathering BBQ.
    Sandra is firing up some Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans. Then, we'll
    see how Sandra prepares Beer Salmon. For the kids, Sandra whips up
    Hamburger Dogs. And no BBQ would be complete without a Chocolate Buttermilk
    Pie.

    Recipes
    Baked Beans
    Baby Back Ribs
    Beer Salmon
    Hamburger Dogs
    Chocolate Buttermilk Pie

    Ah yes,this is the infamous boiled-for-three-or-four-hours ribs,the crapdogs,
    the embellished can of pork and beans, and the incorrect buttermilk puddle
    recipe show. Let us continue, shall we?

    I understand parboiling ribs, but for three to four hours in beef broth?
    When she retrieved the ribs, they looked like soggy shoeleather and where
    disengrating while she tried to put them on the grill. There is a good
    falling of the bone and a bad falling of the bone. You can't camflague [censored]
    by slatheringing on the bbq sauce. And oh yes, "be sure to baste the bones,
    because everybody likes to suck on those!" Umm, yeah.

    And her Beer salmon recipe that we've never seen before? My dad does the same
    exact thing save the brown sugar. So that's another case for the patent
    police.

    She needs to a bit of homework before she claims to have invented those
    hamburger things......A Sunset BBQ cookbook from the 60's has a recipe
    these. Here's what the crapdogs look like:
    http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/12/11/sh1a07_hamburger_dogs_e.jpg

    I also like how the buttermilk pie was almost like homemade, except for the
    "shortcut of the chocolate chips". I guess store-bought crust, which I've
    used in a pinch, doesn't count as semi-homemade? I believe I recall
    FoodNetwork had to recall this one because it was totall screwed up.

  2. In article said:
    Quoted message said:

    Weekend Gathering
    Today, we're heading outside for a Semi-Homemade Weekend Gathering BBQ.
    Sandra is firing up some Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans. Then, we'll
    see how Sandra prepares Beer Salmon. For the kids, Sandra whips up
    Hamburger Dogs. And no BBQ would be complete without a Chocolate Buttermilk
    Pie.

    I still refuse to "think gingham"! And colored sugar, a widemouth canning jar
    and a fat candle = big mess.

    She boiled those ribs way to long. Beef broth and pork ribs?? Strange combo.
    Why do you want the turd dogs to taste like a mini meat loaf, yet garnish them
    up like a hotdog with relish, onions, ketchup & mustard? Meat loaf and
    hamburgers are two totally different tastes, IMO.

    All that fat from the bacon in the beans? Nasty. Sugar in practically
    everything, the beans had honey and brown sugar. The salmon had brown sugar.
    The bbq sauce had honey added. 2 1/2 cups of sugar in the pie, plus chocolate
    chips. And well, I'm sure there was sugar in the meatloaf seasoning packet too!
    Chocolate chips and marshmellows on top of bananas. My teeth hurt now.

  3. On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:35:14 -0400, Ubiquitous <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Weekend Gathering
    Today, we're heading outside for a Semi-Homemade Weekend Gathering BBQ.
    Sandra is firing up some Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans. Then, we'll
    see how Sandra prepares Beer Salmon. For the kids, Sandra whips up
    Hamburger Dogs. And no BBQ would be complete without a Chocolate Buttermilk
    Pie.

    Quoted message said:


    She needs to a bit of homework before she claims to have invented those
    hamburger things......A Sunset BBQ cookbook from the 60's has a recipe
    these. Here's what the crapdogs look like:
    http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/12/11/sh1a07_hamburger_dogs_e.jpg

    I'm sure they taste like they look.

    ;-)

    Rusty

  4. "Chance Guzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chocolate buttermilk pie is "so unique"? 133 hits on Google, and one more
    in my
    great-grandmother's recipe box.

    Yup---that show was one for the archives of bad taste. Now about your
    great-grandmother's recipe box . . . .
    I'd love to see her recipe for buttermilk pie if you would be willing to
    share.

    Thanks,

    Susan

  5. Chance Guzman said:

    Oh my God what were those things? I'd heard the horror stories of the boiled
    ribs, but nothing can compare to the reality. Pasty yellow disgusting things.

    "everybody likes to suck on bones"? Sweetie, we have heard way too much about
    your personal life with the pixie sticks.

    She puts a pyrex dish on the grill, then says to "put a little water in it".
    Between this and using pyrex on a cooktop, she's so lucky nothing has exploded
    on her. Glass pyrex bakeware is for baking, where you have uniform
    temperatures; glass is not tolerant of the kind of differences caused by
    putting water in a hot pan.

    It was on the warmer shelf of the grill, but I thought the same thing.

    Quoted message said:


    Beer gives "perfect flavoring" - yeah, right, you lush.

    The salmon didn't look cooked. I wouldn't have eaten it.

    Quoted message said:


    She's shifting the blame for the meatloaf turd-dogs to yet another child.

    What is it with her nuking chocolate chips? She did it on the ice cream show
    and the chocolate looked like it had boiled. Checking the microwave every 30
    seconds is not easy-easy, it's a major interruption compared to setting it on a
    double-boiler and giving it a quick stir occasionally.

    Chocolate buttermilk pie is "so unique"? 133 hits on Google, and one more in my
    great-grandmother's recipe box.

    Another thing I don't understand. With all those eggs, this would be
    more of a soufle than a brownie-tasting concoction, wouldn't it?

  6. In article said:

    Ah yes,this is the infamous boiled-for-three-or-four-hours ribs,the crapdogs,
    the embellished can of pork and beans, and the incorrect buttermilk puddle
    recipe show. Let us continue, shall we?

    I finally saw the ribs boiled beyond all human (or cow) recognition.
    Admittedly, I was skeptical about the out-cry here because one of my chefs
    taught us to slowly braise our ribs for about an hour and a half before we
    barbecued them and they were the tenderest, juiciest ribs I've ever eaten.

    I must've been out of my mind to think that's what she'd be doing to her ribs.
    When we made them, we did NOT bring the braising medium to a "hard boil"
    because you NEVER do that in a braise. Furthermore, when she pulled those rib
    carcasses out of the pot she said, "they are almost falling off the bone but
    not quite yet." [censored]? One of the bones fell clean free of the meat and you put
    it back in the pot! And the meat? Was GREY!

    I will never doubt you guys again.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    All that fat from the bacon in the beans? Nasty.

    Regrading her Baked Beans recipe (I use the word "recipe" loosely), she opens
    up a friggin can of baked beans then proceeds to add other [censored] to it, like
    ketchup and bacon. If I was going to go through the trouble of adding [censored] to a
    crock pot, I would just buy the plain beans and make the damn things myself.
    Why doctor up a can of B&M? They taste pretty good straight up, no?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.