Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

see someone with a flat? no worries... just keep riding.

Started by asterope · · Last activity · 95 posts · 4,337 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
15 September 2006
Last activity
24 September 2006
Original author
asterope
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,337
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. BIG THUMBS DOWN to all those mean rude cyclists who passed me in paddington this morning and didnt stop to ask if i needed help.

    the one day i didnt have a spare, i get a flat... at least 5 cyclists passed me while i was trying to locate the problem... some slowed down and had a good geezer, others just flew straight by.

    nice one... theres 3 rapists out and about attacking women in the paddington area... the least they could have done was asked if i needed a hand/patch/tube... or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope they will be ok on the walk home.

    GRRRRRRRRRR and curses for those a**holes... but its not going to stop me offering a hand to a cyclist in need in the future. Theres etiquette to be upheld and its good karma to help out one of your own.

  2. asterope said:

    BIG THUMBS DOWN to all those mean rude cyclists who passed me in
    paddington this morning and didnt stop to ask if i needed help.

    the one day i didnt have a spare, i get a flat... at least 5 cyclists
    passed me while i was trying to locate the problem... some slowed down
    and had a good geezer, others just flew straight by.

    nice one... theres 3 rapists out and about attacking women in the
    paddington area... the least they could have done was asked if i needed
    a hand/patch/tube... or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    GRRRRRRRRRR and curses for those a**holes... but its not going to stop
    me offering a hand to a cyclist in need in the future. Theres etiquette
    to be upheld and its good karma to help out one of your own.

    --
    asterope

    Why were you not carrying a tube/patch? Did you even ask any of the
    geezers if they could help with a hand/patch/tube? Certainly after a
    few minutes of cyclists rushing by I would have.

    If the security issue is so crucial, then maybe carrying a third tube
    would be advisable.

    Totally agree with you on the karma and I usually carry a spare and a
    patch kit on every ride, with many spares at home should they get used.
    Have offered help in the past, to be declined, and have had many
    people offer their help, when I have been simply waiting on the side
    the road for my mates to show for our ride.

    Maybe it's different in Perth?
    Steven

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    asterope said:

    BIG THUMBS DOWN to all those mean rude cyclists who passed me in
    paddington this morning and didnt stop to ask if i needed help.

    the one day i didnt have a spare, i get a flat... at least 5 cyclists
    passed me while i was trying to locate the problem... some slowed down
    and had a good geezer, others just flew straight by.

    nice one... theres 3 rapists out and about attacking women in the
    paddington area... the least they could have done was asked if i needed
    a hand/patch/tube... or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    GRRRRRRRRRR and curses for those a**holes... but its not going to stop
    me offering a hand to a cyclist in need in the future. Theres etiquette
    to be upheld and its good karma to help out one of your own.

    Would it depend on the situation?

    Unless I see someone who is distressed, confused, not knowing what to
    do, then I probably won't stop given it's a work day morning. You were
    in pro-ish cycling gear, I probably would have thought you knew what you
    were doing. Yet again, if you showed signs of needing assistance, then
    it'll probably change.

    Did you give any indication that it was a dame in distress situation? 🙂
    --

  4. "asterope" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    Maybe the blokes feel they'll be 'dissed' if they stop?

    http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907

  5. Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all they need to do is ask.

  6. Jono L said:

    Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all they need to do is ask.


    i didnt think telepathic powers were a prerequisite for being courteous to a fellow cyclist at 5:30am.

    i thought it was common courtesy to slow down and ask if the person on the side of the road needed a hand... i know ive done it many times and it has happened to me many times, even if they didnt ask for a hand, and even if they looked like they knew exactly what they were doing/had the super-dooper full kit on. its just nice to be NICE to others on the off chance that you may need someone reciprocate some day.

    steven: i dont think its any different in perth, perhaps i just managed to have my luck run out when the wrong people were on the road...

    yes, its totally my fault that i didnt have a spare, as i had gotten a flat last week and had not had time to get to my bike shop to get a replacement... so slap on the wrist for me. i know what im going to be doing later on this afternoon...

  7. Jono L said:

    Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all
    they need to do is ask.

    I always ask, either stopping or at least slowing. If I'm in the car & it's safe
    for me to stop, I will do then as well. Sometimes they just need help
    removing/refitting a tyre, if they are inexperienced. And women are normally a
    bit dubious about asking a total stranger for help these days.

    Perhaps we should revive this habit, it's the right thing to do as far as I'm
    concerned.

    --
    Karen

    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
    Catherine Aird

  8. asterope said:
    Jono L said:

    Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all
    they need to do is ask.


    i didnt think telepathic powers were a prerequisite for being
    courteous to a fellow cyclist at 5:30am.

    i thought it was common courtesy to slow down and ask if the person on
    the side of the road needed a hand... i know ive done it many times and
    it has happened to me many times, even if they didnt ask for a hand, and
    even if they looked like they knew exactly what they were doing/had the
    super-dooper full kit on. its just nice to be NICE to others on the off
    chance that you may need someone reciprocate some day.

    steven: i dont think its any different in perth, perhaps i just managed
    to have my luck run out when the wrong people were on the road...

    yes, its totally my fault that i didnt have a spare, as i had gotten a
    flat last week and had not had time to get to my bike shop to get a
    replacement... so slap on the wrist for me. i know what im going to be
    doing later on this afternoon...

    --
    asterope

    Naah just go to Probike kit or torpedo 7 and get yourself at least ten
    tubes, and another patch kit.
    Tubes wear out, get heaps.

  9. Claude said:

    "asterope" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    Maybe the blokes feel they'll be 'dissed' if they stop?

    http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907


    a good deed is a good deed regardless of what the sex/gender of the person that offers it is.

    gender equality is just that... equality. i dont believe in dissing anyone just because they ended up with a Y-chromosome.

  10. asterope said:
    Claude said:

    "asterope" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.


    Maybe the blokes feel they'll be 'dissed' if they stop?

    http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907


    a good deed is a good deed regardless of what the sex/gender of the
    person that offers it is.

    gender equality is just that... equality. i dont believe in dissing
    anyone just because they ended up with a Y-chromosome.


    I don't see it as a good deed at all - it's the right thing to do. I stop for
    any cyclist I see by the roadside, except those who are clearly sorting the
    situation out competently.

    --
    Karen

    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
    Catherine Aird

  11. asterope said:
    Claude said:

    "asterope" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    Maybe the blokes feel they'll be 'dissed' if they stop?

    http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907


    a good deed is a good deed regardless of what the sex/gender of the
    person that offers it is.

    I agree. It doesn't cost you anything to ask if someone needs a hand. If
    they're a tool about it, then that's their problem.

    Quoted message said:

    gender equality is just that... equality. i dont believe in dissing
    anyone just because they ended up with a Y-chromosome.

    Very kind 😉

    --
    daveL

  12. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Duracell Bunny said:
    Jono L said:

    Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all
    they need to do is ask.

    Quoted message said:

    I always ask, either stopping or at least slowing. If I'm in the car & it's
    safe
    for me to stop, I will do then as well. Sometimes they just need help
    removing/refitting a tyre, if they are inexperienced. And women are normally
    a
    bit dubious about asking a total stranger for help these days.

    Perhaps we should revive this habit, it's the right thing to do as far as I'm
    concerned.

    Maybe all the riders who went past are also noobs who doesn't know how
    to fix a leak themselves. I carry a spare tube and levers but have never
    done it in practice. Except for providing the parts, I would be a theory
    man otherwise. 😉
    --

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    asterope said:
    Jono L said:

    Did these cyclists have telepathic powers? If you asked then maybe....

    Generally, I just make eye contact and nod, if they heed help then all
    they need to do is ask.


    i didnt think telepathic powers were a prerequisite for being
    courteous to a fellow cyclist at 5:30am.

    See a cyclist at 5:30am in the dark would be a shock to me...
    --

  14. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Duracell Bunny said:

    I don't see it as a good deed at all - it's the right thing to do. I stop for
    any cyclist I see by the roadside, except those who are clearly sorting the
    situation out competently.

    Isn't that the point? I would also stop without question if the dame or
    gent in distress is wearing casual gear and not an obvious avid sporting
    cyclist and fumbling with the wheel. But given OP's dress code and
    appearance, I would not know exactly how I would react at the spot. If
    there's indication that assistance is needed, then I would stop.
    --

  15. So you rode through an area where you knew there are three active
    rapists operating, in the dark, without the tools and equipment to fix
    the most foreseeable of mechanical problems.

    Were you auditioning for a spot on Thrillseekers?

  16. Artoi said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Duracell Bunny said:

    I don't see it as a good deed at all - it's the right thing to do. I stop for
    any cyclist I see by the roadside, except those who are clearly sorting the
    situation out competently.

    Isn't that the point? I would also stop without question if the dame or
    gent in distress is wearing casual gear and not an obvious avid sporting
    cyclist and fumbling with the wheel. But given OP's dress code and
    appearance, I would not know exactly how I would react at the spot. If
    there's indication that assistance is needed, then I would stop.
    --


    "except those who are clearly sorting the situation out competently."
    I take that as seeing a tube being repaired or replaced, in this instance.

    She had no spare tube, and so qualified for help. What she was wearing is
    irrelevant, as is whether she was an avid cyclist or a gumby.

    --
    Karen

    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
    Catherine Aird

  17. Surly Dave said:

    So you rode through an area where you knew there are three active
    rapists operating, in the dark, without the tools and equipment to fix
    the most foreseeable of mechanical problems.

    Were you auditioning for a spot on Thrillseekers?

    This is getting dangerously close to accusing a potential victim of
    encouraging an attack.
    Don't be so quick to blame.

    Use situational awareness.

  18. asterope said:
    Claude said:

    "asterope" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or maybe its the done thing now to ignore girls on
    the sidewalk in full cycling garb looking for punctures and just hope
    they will be ok on the walk home.

    Maybe the blokes feel they'll be 'dissed' if they stop?

    http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907


    a good deed is a good deed regardless of what the sex/gender of the
    person that offers it is.

    gender equality is just that... equality. i dont believe in dissing
    anyone just because they ended up with a Y-chromosome.

    --
    asterope

    Last time I tried to help a "damsel in distress" with a broken down car
    I got my head bitten off verbally for assuming she needed help. From
    then on, their on their own.

  19. Quoted message said:

    This is getting dangerously close to accusing a potential victim of encouraging an attack.
    Don't be so quick to blame.

    No, it's not. I'm saying don't make yourself a victim. If it's really
    that dangerous, take sensible precautions. I'm saying if you don't look
    after yourself, you shouldn't whine that others won't look after you.

    Quoted message said:

    Use situational awareness.

    Ok, from this moment forth.

  20. Surly Dave said:

    So you rode through an area where you knew there are three active
    rapists operating, in the dark, without the tools and equipment to fix
    the most foreseeable of mechanical problems.

    Were you auditioning for a spot on Thrillseekers?


    yes, i rode through an area where there are 3 sexual offenders operating (and not only in the dark, these particular guys seem to prefer broad daylight)
    but then again, i always ride this route, and it is a MAIN ROUTE in a rather upmarket suburb for alot of cyclists in the area, not to mention joggers and people on their way to work (yes, even at 5:30am) so it wasnt by any means deserted.

    as for the tools... well, i had everything but the tube. from all indications of cyclists passing me, even if i did have the tube and was frantically working on replacing it, not an eyelid would have been battered, let alone any movement of the diaphragm in speaking 4 words/4 syllables *do*you*need*help?*

    was i auditioning for thrillseekers? no, and i wouldnt assume that anyone, male or female, that was caught out with a flat in an area that has lately been terrorised by a bunch of [censored] was auditioning for the part either... i would have expended the tiny amount of energy to ask if they needed help.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.