Mike Van Pelt said:In article said:Blair P. Houghton said:
Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com page for Frank's hot sauce:
Did they happen to mention Dave's Insanity Sauce?
I don't care about Dave's sauce, because Dave is just plain nuts. Anyone can play one-up with pure
capsaicin, until you're just sprinkling pure capsaicin powder into your chili. What's the point
besides frenzied macho masochism or severe endorphin addiction?
Both!
The Blair's 5am "sauce" used to be the king, at over 5 million scovilles, but it got topped, so
Blair (no relation) got geological on it:
sweatnspice.comTop%20Sauces.htmOpen ↗
10-13 million scovilles. Incredible. Raw crystals in the bottle. Amazing.
Theoretically, absolutely pure capsaicin is 16.7 million scovilles, or therabouts.
This stuff is interesting enough for its chemical properties.
Quoted message said:However, a comparison which included the ones with flavor, like Bufalo Chipotle, Melinda's, Inner
Beauty, Yucateco, and Scorned Woman... Now, that would be interesting.
I only posted it because nobody ever bothers posting scovilles for the mass-market sauces; they're
all busy trying to impress the real chili-heads, who think 50k scovilles is milky. And I thought the
3-digit precision was kind of funny, considering the scoville rating is a subjective one originally.
I have no idea how you measure the stoichiometry of capsaicin in organic solution...
Those million-scoville condiments aren't sauces so much as ingredients. You'd never just put a drop
on a crab- chip, the way I do with sriracha (rooster sauce).
I wonder what the rating for sriracha is, anyway...
--Blair "Now I want crab chips and rooster sauce..."