Mike,
Not so, look at this new packaging just received last week from Scott
Mathauser.
http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files/scott%20mathouser%20brakes.jpg
For my 40mm size pads, Kool Stops Continental pads have been out of
stock for months at least.
It took 3 weeks getting the above from Scott Mathauser direct. They
just don't have US distributors now,
and just mom/pop stores in NW US for now. From what I understand non-US
business is all they need to support
operations and they are experimenting with designs suited better for
newer carbon bikes and accesories.
It would be hard for me to believe anything could be much if any better
than a solid 40mm square of material pinched with metal on all 4 sides,
for something as small as 40mm pads. And from riding this morning, I
don't see how anything could be better period: no matter what else you
did to brake system. And this is 36 year old for ALL brake
parts/cables/housing with only the pads changed and a 240 lb man
spinning pretty strong and constant in one gear (53-17t).
The braking peformance is something on the level of 20-50 times better
or more.
I was really worried about cables, housing, levers, and even calipers
before. Yet after 10 minutes putting pads on, it felt like all was top
of the line in todays braking technology all at once. Again, Kool stops
may be as good, but I'll write the above address on package when I need
new pads. It felt that good! ALthough the solid pads may
last a while I hear.
Of course these are not like most all other brake pad types used today,
so its apples and oranges to most people. I'll never consider anything
more than Weinmann centerpull calipers for ABS-like braking control on
the road. All I did was sand rim surface coating on pads down like the
ME on Sheldons' site suggested the night before while watching
Wrestling for a few minutes. There is no need for anything more than
centerpulls and these pads. I'll eventually update cable/housing for
safety concerns and new tektro R200a levers base upon Sheldon's general
recommendations, but I am in no hurry for sure. I have decided to get a
Suntour Cyclone GT or maybe a VxGT rear derailleur instead, with IRD 5
speed freewheel and SRAM p-58 or 68 chain.
Thanks for the info! But if you have 40mm Weinmann centerpulls, go get
a complete brake rebuild for about $20 + shipping. And other than pads
perhaps, you will never need to upgrade anything on your braking system
but cables and housing up to every 35 years :-)
Quoted message said:ddog said:Wow, Scott Mathauser rust pads this morning were like new pads,
improved calipers, cables, and aero levers all in just a 40mm pads
change. For you guys with Weinmann centerpulls, it is solid braking
performance in a few minutes. I didn't even bother wiping black streaks
off of AL rims. Maybe Kool Stops are same thing, but I'll never switch
unless they quit making Scott Mathauser's.
Quoted message said:From http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#salmon
Scott-Mathauser and the "Salmon" pad.
Despite the superior design of Kool Stopbrake shoes, for years,
Scott-Mathauser brake shoes were the finest available, due to their
patented salmon-colored rubber formula. (The "secret ingredient" is
iron oxide, a.k.a. "rust", which is what gave them their distinctive
color.
Even though they were ugly and had crude hardware, they were
favorites of knowledgeable cyclists for their superior stopping power
and durability.
Scott MathauserScott-Mathauser brake shoes were manufactured under
contract by Kool Stop, but the hardware and shoe shape was determined
by Scott-Mathauser. The less expensive Scott-Mathauser shoes had rather
clunky mounting hardware; the deluxe models were overpriced and
featured bogus "cooling fins." Despite these limitations, the very
special Scott-Mathauser compound was so much better than anything else
available, that Scott-Mathauser brake shoes were widely recognized as
the best perfomers in their day...
...but Scott-Mathauser brake shoes are no longer available!
Kool Stop "Salmon": The Best Of Both!
Now, the un-equalled Scott compound is available in the excellent
Kool Stop designs. The "salmon" colored Kool Stop models are the ones
made with the Scott-Mathauser material..
The traditional Kool Stop compounds and colors remain available,
but we strongly recommend the salmon-colored Scott type.