Hi Had a bit of a problem yesterday, luckly i was home and not in the middle of nowhere. I recently bought a rans tailwind 2001 model new from a LBS, got a good deal. Of course with all the mods I'm up to the original price by now.
Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another tube fail on me.
To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to take the bus to work and home today.
Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled for schrader without an adapter??
"johnson.." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>... <snip>
Quoted message said:
To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to take the bus to work and home today.
Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled for schrader without an adapter??
??? I'm a little confused. You bought a tube with a Presta valve and it didn't fit through the adapter in the rim? That's a little fishy- every Presta valve I've seen is the same diameter.
Could the adapter have gotten banged or bent somehow? In any case, I'd ream out the adapter a little, just to give yourself some wiggle room.
You can put a Presta tube in a Schrader rim without an adapter, but the edges of the rim hole will tend to cut the tube. Annoying at best- it's impossible to patch a hole there.
"Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"johnson.." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
<snip>
Quoted message said:
To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter.
Had to
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
take the bus to work and home today.
Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where
with
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim
drilled
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
for schrader without an adapter??
??? I'm a little confused. You bought a tube with a Presta valve and it didn't fit through the adapter in the rim? That's a little fishy- every Presta valve I've seen is the same diameter.
The original presta valves fit fine, the ones i bought at the LBS did not fit. The nut fits fine on the threaded valve but these tubes will not fit in the adapter.
Quoted message said:
Could the adapter have gotten banged or bent somehow? In any case, I'd ream out the adapter a little, just to give yourself some wiggle room.
The adapter isn't damaged at all because the original tubes on the bike fit.
Quoted message said:
You can put a Presta tube in a Schrader rim without an adapter, but the edges of the rim hole will tend to cut the tube. Annoying at best- it's impossible to patch a hole there.
... Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another tube fail on me....
Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25 mph. 🙁
"Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
johnson.. said:
... Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i
should
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm
sunday
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the
wheel
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have
another
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
tube fail on me....
Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25 mph. 🙁
-- Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area
that happened to you?? hope you healed up ok
I replaced the tube and re-inflated the tire just in time to make it to the start of the Thursday evening club ride. I only received minor abrasions - more importantly my Rocket was undamaged except for scratches on the left pedal and left side water bottle holder.
"Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25 mph. 🙁
-- Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area
that happened to you?? hope you healed up ok
I replaced the tube and re-inflated the tire just in time to make it to the start of the Thursday evening club ride. I only received minor abrasions - more importantly my Rocket was undamaged except for scratches on the left pedal and left side water bottle holder.