General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

save lemon and use a little each day

Started by jw 1111 · · Last activity · 10 posts · 326 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 October 2005
Last activity
29 October 2005
Original author
jw 1111
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
326
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    The other half of the lemon I wish to use immediately and just use a little
    each day.

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of thin
    segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work. thanks

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jw 1111 said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    The other half of the lemon I wish to use immediately and just use a little
    each day.

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of thin
    segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work. thanks

    Squeeze out all the juice and freeze it in the portions that you need it
    in.

    That would be best.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    I just wrap it tightly in a little piece of plastic wrap and keep it
    in the refrigerator. It keeps pretty well. I use it often enough.
    I know you can freeze whole lemons, buy them on sale ... they
    are good for juice. Don't see why you can't freeze half.

    Quoted message said:

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of
    thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work.

    Does to me, too, and seems as if a lot of the juice remains on your
    hands. I swear by my wooden lemon reamer, gets out the last drop.

    nancy

  4. Nancy Young wrote on 28 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the
    best way to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I
    freeze it and then defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    I just wrap it tightly in a little piece of plastic wrap and keep it
    in the refrigerator. It keeps pretty well. I use it often enough.
    I know you can freeze whole lemons, buy them on sale ... they
    are good for juice. Don't see why you can't freeze half.

    Quoted message said:

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way
    of thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work.

    Does to me, too, and seems as if a lot of the juice remains on your
    hands. I swear by my wooden lemon reamer, gets out the last drop.

    nancy

    I buy lemon when there is a sale...zest them and squeeze all the juice into
    a jar. I keep the jar in the fridge for weeks and there isn't a problem.
    The zest I dry and use with fresh ground pepper as a rub when cooking pork
    or chicken.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  5. Mr Libido Incognito said:

    Nancy Young wrote on 28 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the
    best way to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I
    freeze it and then defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    I just wrap it tightly in a little piece of plastic wrap and keep it
    in the refrigerator. It keeps pretty well. I use it often enough.
    I know you can freeze whole lemons, buy them on sale ... they
    are good for juice. Don't see why you can't freeze half.

    Quoted message said:

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way
    of thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work.

    Does to me, too, and seems as if a lot of the juice remains on your
    hands. I swear by my wooden lemon reamer, gets out the last drop.

    nancy

    I buy lemon when there is a sale...zest them and squeeze all the juice into
    a jar. I keep the jar in the fridge for weeks and there isn't a problem.

    Probably wouldn't be a problem, but that's not gonna taste anything
    like fresh squeezed... been there, done that, blech... makes bottled
    taste better, much better. And my experience is that frozen lemons do
    not taste anything like fresh, I don't freeze lemons.

    Mother Nature's citrus rind is the best citrus preservative there is,
    but still not for long term storage, perhaps two weeks in the fridge at
    best, and that's for uncut. Once cut lemons lose their fresh lemon
    flavor very rapidly, by the next day you may as well use bottled.
    Lemons are cheap, I buy a few at a time and once cut I tend to use the
    whole lemon, if not all that moment then by the end of the day... like
    after squeezing say a quarter the rind goes in my wine glass.... by the
    end of the day I can easily have all four quarters of rind in my glass.
    It's very rare that I can't use an entire lemon within the day... I
    mean like it's a measly lemon, no huge amount... anyone who saves part
    of a lemon saves part of a beer, blech! I don't save cut lemons, odds
    are they'll be forgotten and have grown penicillin long before I find
    them. I've visited people who save half a lemon, half an onion, half
    an apple... their fridge is a virtual compost heap, chock full of all
    these scary looking plastic wrapped mysteries... they figure they saved
    them so they must be valuable.

    Sheldon

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:

    Nancy Young wrote on 28 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the
    > best way to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I
    > freeze it and then defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    I just wrap it tightly in a little piece of plastic wrap and keep it
    in the refrigerator. It keeps pretty well. I use it often enough.
    I know you can freeze whole lemons, buy them on sale ... they
    are good for juice. Don't see why you can't freeze half.

    > what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way
    > of thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work.

    Does to me, too, and seems as if a lot of the juice remains on your
    hands. I swear by my wooden lemon reamer, gets out the last drop.

    nancy

    I buy lemon when there is a sale...zest them and squeeze all the juice into
    a jar. I keep the jar in the fridge for weeks and there isn't a problem.

    Probably wouldn't be a problem, but that's not gonna taste anything
    like fresh squeezed... been there, done that, blech... makes bottled
    taste better, much better. And my experience is that frozen lemons do
    not taste anything like fresh, I don't freeze lemons.

    Mother Nature's citrus rind is the best citrus preservative there is,
    but still not for long term storage, perhaps two weeks in the fridge at
    best, and that's for uncut. Once cut lemons lose their fresh lemon
    flavor very rapidly, by the next day you may as well use bottled.
    Lemons are cheap, I buy a few at a time and once cut I tend to use the
    whole lemon, if not all that moment then by the end of the day... like
    after squeezing say a quarter the rind goes in my wine glass.... by the
    end of the day I can easily have all four quarters of rind in my glass.
    It's very rare that I can't use an entire lemon within the day... I
    mean like it's a measly lemon, no huge amount... anyone who saves part
    of a lemon saves part of a beer, blech! I don't save cut lemons, odds
    are they'll be forgotten and have grown penicillin long before I find
    them. I've visited people who save half a lemon, half an onion, half
    an apple... their fridge is a virtual compost heap, chock full of all
    these scary looking plastic wrapped mysteries... they figure they saved
    them so they must be valuable.

    Sheldon

    Truth be told, I'm betting the majority of "saved" stuff ends up as
    compost during the annual "I've got to clean out the 'frige before the
    stuff starts taking on a life of it's own" refrigerator cleaning binge...

    How many of us have stuff in the 'frige we cannot identify, or forgot
    when we stored it? <lol>
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  7. I just put the exposed side of the half lemon facing down on a plate and put
    in the fridge. It keeps for a few days.

    "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    The other half of the lemon I wish to use immediately and just use a
    little each day.

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of
    thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work. thanks

  8. jw 1111 said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    The other half of the lemon I wish to use immediately and just use a little
    each day.

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of thin
    segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work. thanks

    Buy a bottle of lemon juice and quit screwing around. You can't do what
    you want to and still get any quality results. Lemons and lemon juice
    are both cheap. You're getting all caught up in pennies.

    Pastorio

  9. If I have leftover lemon,,,,,I place a few slices in a cup of water in the
    microwave and heat for 1 minute....and voila,,,then I wipe down the
    microwave, not only is the microwave clean but it smells so fresh.

    "jw 1111" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I wish to cut a lemon in half and save one half. what is the best way
    to save that half? in a plastic bag in fridge, or can I freeze it and then
    defrost it and still use a little at a time?

    The other half of the lemon I wish to use immediately and just use a
    little each day.

    what is the best way to cut it and squeeze it? The often seen way of
    thin segments squeezed between the fingers seems hard work. thanks

  10. Sheldon said:

    I've visited people who save half a lemon, half an onion, half
    an apple... their fridge is a virtual compost heap, chock full of all
    these scary looking plastic wrapped mysteries... they figure they saved
    them so they must be valuable.

    Sheldon

    FUNNY!

    My mother has a teaspoon full of nearly anything you could possibly think
    of in her refridgerator. It is all in varying stages of decomposition.
    She ain't throwin nutin out.

    j

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.