General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

San Diego Cookin' Chorizo filled dates

Started by Koko · · Last activity · 7 posts · 319 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Koko
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
319
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chorizo-Filled Dates In Bacon

    appetizers

    Fritos De Datiles Y Chorizo

    I've only been able to find the soft greasy chorizo, so I
    cook the chorizo in a frying pan until it starts getting
    dark, then drain off the fat.

    Using a pastry bag fitted with a #12 cake decorators round
    tip makes it easy to fill the dates, just be sure to not
    over fill.

    If you are using a chorizo that is firm and can be cut, cut
    off the ends of the chorizo and slice the sausage crosswise
    into 3 equal pieces, about 3/4 inch each in length (remove
    the skin if it is tough) Cut each of these pieces in half
    lengthwise and in half again, to make a total of 12 "sticks"
    (If your chorizo is thick, these pieces may be to large for
    the dates, in which case cut in half again) Insert each
    chorizo piece into a date and close the date around it.

    Wrap a strip of bacon around each date. Secure, if
    necessary, with a toothpick. (May be prepared ahead) Place
    the wrapped dates in a skillet with the seam side of the
    bacon down and saute until the bacon is golden. Turn and
    brown on the other side. Drain on paper towels. You may now
    serve the dates, or proceed to coat and fry them. If you are
    continuing, this step may also be done in advance. Wipe out
    the skillet, then heat the oil at least 1/2 inch deep to
    about 380* F. Dust the dates with flour, then dip them into
    the egg and immediately into the hot oil. Fry until golden,
    turning once. Or better, use a deep-fryer. Drain and serve
    right away.

    Source: Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain

    I don't usually go the extra step of flouring, etc...and re-
    frying them.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Contributor: Chef Gregorio Camarero (Los Monteros
    Hotel Marbella,

    Yield: 6 servings

    Preparation Time: 0:00

    ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.63 **

    Koko A Yuman being on the net (posting from San Diego)

  2. Koko said:


    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chorizo-Filled Dates In Bacon


    I only have a few memories of eating meat, but I swear I had
    something very like this on the Great Barrier reef. I was
    only 9 and spoiled my dinner snarfing these up. blacksalt
    that night my brother, the same brother who nearly drowned
    off the Algave, swam out to the boat from shore and the boat
    hands hollared and swore about sharks while I stood along
    side eyes wide from the blue language.

  3. "Koko" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chorizo-Filled Dates In Bacon

    appetizers

    Fritos De Datiles Y Chorizo

    Oh I DO love these things! I had more than my share and even
    managed to take some home in a baggie. They are very good
    warmed up and eaten for breakfast! Thanks Koko!

    Charlie

  4. On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:27:52 -0700, Koko <[email hidden]>
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    Quoted message said:


    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chorizo-Filled Dates In Bacon

    <snip>

    Man, am I ever stealing *this* recipe! This was awesome!
    Incredible! Fabulous! What a great blend of flavors!

    Damn, I've run out of exclamation points.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Regime Change Begins At Home."

    To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"

  5. Koko said:

    Wrap a strip of bacon around each date. Secure, if
    necessary, with a toothpick. (May be prepared ahead)

    Am I reading this right?

    Quoted message said:

    Place the wrapped dates in a skillet with the seam side of
    the bacon down and saute until the bacon is golden. Turn
    and brown on the other side. Drain on paper towels. You
    may now serve the dates, or proceed to coat and fry them.

    Do-able, but.....

    Quoted message said:

    If you are continuing, this step may also be done in
    advance. Wipe out the skillet, then heat the oil at least
    1/2 inch deep to about 380* F. Dust the dates with flour,
    then dip them into the egg and immediately into the hot
    oil. Fry until golden, turning once. Or better, use a deep-
    fryer. Drain and serve right away.

    ...deep fry after deep frying and breading?

    Quoted message said:

    Source: Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain

    It's so incredibly bizarre, it might just work...

    ...greasy meat ...sweet fruit ...wrapped in greasy meat
    ...breaded and fried in grease! Whew! My heart just missed
    two beats reading the recipe.

    You just know I gotta try it! 🙂

    nb
    --
    Be considerate of others and trim your posts. Thank you.

  6. notbob <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<vOOzc.41003$eu.27829@attbi_s02>...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-06-15, Koko <[email hidden]> wrote:

    It's so incredibly bizarre, it might just work...

    ...greasy meat ...sweet fruit ...wrapped in greasy meat
    ...breaded and fried in grease! Whew! My heart just missed
    two beats reading the recipe.

    Wait..until you taste them. :-)

    Quoted message said:


    You just know I gotta try it! 🙂


    You won't be sorry. They're just so, so good.

    Jamie

    I trimmed. :-)

    Quoted message said:


    nb

  7. notbob said:
    Koko said:

    Wrap a strip of bacon around each date. Secure, if
    necessary, with a toothpick. (May be prepared ahead)

    Am I reading this right?

    Absolutely.................:-)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Place the wrapped dates in a skillet with the seam side
    of the bacon down and saute until the bacon is golden.
    Turn and brown on the other side. Drain on paper
    towels. You may now serve the dates, or proceed to coat
    and fry them.

    Do-able, but.....

    Quoted message said:

    If you are continuing, this step may also be done in
    advance. Wipe out the skillet, then heat the oil at least
    1/2 inch deep to about 380* F. Dust the dates with flour,
    then dip them into the egg and immediately into the hot
    oil. Fry until golden, turning once. Or better, use a deep-
    fryer. Drain and serve right away.

    ...deep fry after deep frying and breading?

    I'm just too lazy to do the next step so I serve them after
    cooking off the bacon. I've been curious as to how much
    better they would be by proceeding to the next step.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Source: Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain

    It's so incredibly bizarre, it might just work...

    Surprisingly enough it really does.

    Quoted message said:


    ...greasy meat ...sweet fruit ...wrapped in greasy meat
    ...breaded and fried in grease! Whew! My heart just missed
    two beats reading the recipe.

    You just know I gotta try it! 🙂

    I do hope you try them.

    I made 100 of them for the cookin (really more than that,
    but quality control you know) and I brought home about 10.

    Quoted message said:

    nb

    Koko A Yuman being on the net (posting from San Diego)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.