General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

safe to eat baby back ribs?

Started by bowler · · Last activity · 18 posts · 225 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 October 2007
Last activity
19 October 2007
Original author
bowler
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
225
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

  2. bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
    fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    That should not be a problem, if they were in good condition
    when you bought them and your refrigerator is at a nice low
    temperature. If you're uncertain, consider skipping the marinade
    and grilling them up right away.

    Steve

  4. Dave Bugg said:

    bowler wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

    Quoted message said:

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
    fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

    For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
    are free-range and therfore tougher.

    Steve

  5. Steve Pope said:
    Dave Bugg said:

    bowler wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36
    hours -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them
    overnight -- that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they
    still be safe to eat? I have confidence in the organic food store
    where I bought them.

    Quoted message said:

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're
    just fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6
    hours is plenty.

    For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
    are free-range and therfore tougher.

    Doesn't matter. Ribs are not a tender meat, they are tough because of the
    high collagen content. A marinade that long will turn the ribs to a mushy
    texture.

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  6. "bowler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    They are good for 5 to 7 days if properly stored.

  7. Dave Bugg said:
    bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
    fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

    --
    Davewww.davebbq.com

    Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
    unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
    have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
    marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
    They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

  8. "bowler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
    unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
    have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
    marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
    They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

    You worry too much.

  9. bowler said:
    Dave Bugg said:
    bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36
    hours -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them
    overnight -- that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they
    still be safe to eat? I have confidence in the organic food store
    where I bought them.

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're
    just fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6
    hours is plenty.

    --
    Davewww.davebbq.com

    Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
    unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
    have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
    marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
    They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

    Don't worry, they'll be fine. And if not, that's what they make bbq sauce
    for :-)

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  10. bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    I would suspect they should be just fine.

  11. bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    I bet they're fine.

    Karen


  12. Quoted message said:

    bowler wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
    unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
    have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
    marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
    They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

    How did the ribs turn out?

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  13. bowler said:
    Dave Bugg said:
    bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

    Quoted message said:

    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
    fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Davewww.davebbq.com

    Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
    unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
    have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
    marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
    They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

    Depends on what you marinated them in. I find a lot of marinades to
    be hideous, like bottled Italian dressing.

    --Bryan

  14. bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    If they were off you wouldn't need to ask.
    You'd smell them as soon as you opened the door.

    Cam

  15. (Steve Pontificator) said:
    Dave Bugg said:
    bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.


    If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
    fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

    For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
    are free-range and therfore tougher.

    So what, not all marinades tenderize, many just add flavor... pork
    ribs don't need tenderizing... they need long slow cooking. I
    marinate ribs for three days

    marinade [MEHR-ih-nayd]
    A seasoned liquid in which foods such as meat, fish and vegetables are
    soaked (marinated) in order to absorb flavor and, in some instances,
    to be tenderized.

    ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
    LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
    ---

    Sheldon

  16. bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
    visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?

    Myrl

  17. Myrl Jeffcoat said:
    bowler said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
    visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?

    Myrl

    Dear all -- thanks for the very interesting discussion and great
    support. I will remember those points -- like why marinade at all, how
    much is too much, and that I worry too much. What happened -- It was
    late when I posted my question. If I was going to marinade AND bake
    AND be in bed by 1am I had to get started. When I didn't IMMEDIATELY
    get the answer that I could wait I decided to go ahead with the
    marinade. I didn't have any bbq sauce -- I'd used it before and wow
    they were good. I put in tomato sauce, some wasabi sauce, tabasco,
    garlic powder, salt & lots of Pepper, stirred it up good and marinaded
    for 2 hrs 15 minutes. Baked them for 2 hours at 300. My husband had
    them for breakfast today. I had them for lunch. Yes, they were quite
    good but not WOW which I wrote on my recipe card the first time I made
    them -- and marinaded overnight. They weren't tough.

  18. bowler said:
    Myrl Jeffcoat said:

    On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
    -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
    that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
    eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
    Thanks!

    Quoted message said:

    Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
    visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?

    Quoted message said:

    Myrl

    Dear all -- thanks for the very interesting discussion and great
    support. I will remember those points -- like why marinade at all, how
    much is too much, and that I worry too much. What happened -- It was
    late when I posted my question. If I was going to marinade AND bake
    AND be in bed by 1am I had to get started. When I didn't IMMEDIATELY
    get the answer that I could wait I decided to go ahead with the
    marinade. I didn't have any bbq sauce -- I'd used it before and wow
    they were good. I put in tomato sauce, some wasabi sauce, tabasco,
    garlic powder, salt & lots of Pepper, stirred it up good and marinaded
    for 2 hrs 15 minutes. Baked them for 2 hours at 300. My husband had
    them for breakfast today. I had them for lunch. Yes, they were quite
    good but not WOW which I wrote on my recipe card the first time I made
    them -- and marinaded overnight. They weren't tough.

    So glad your experience was good. . .Hmmmm - Wasabi, now that's a
    great addition. I need to try that!

    Myrl

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.