S/West Australia riding

Robert_au

Jul 23, 2003
I'm from the Perth metropolitan area and do most of my riding withing about a 60km radius of the city.

Have just com eback from speanding a few days in Busselton in Western Australia's south west. Took the opportunity to do some cycling while I was down there, discovered there is now a purpose built cycle path running along the shore sount from Busselton, very nice.

Anyone cyclists planning a trip to Western Australia's south west should know that for the most part it is faily flat (like a lot of Australia :) ) - so taking the bike I think is essential. Road are good quality and generally wide enough so that you wont become a hood ornament of the big trucks that use them.

While down there I decided to ride to Bunbury (next city to the north) - weather was fantastic, wind minimal, the 50km took me exactly 1hr 30mins at a reasonable pace, you could easily make this distance a hard work out if you wanted to go harder, or something a bit more leaisurely with the family. very peaceful...traffic minimal.

I think I'm going to have to explore more of the south west, maybe do the trip to Busselton as a two day trip with a stopover somewhere along the way.