General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Running, Squats & Other Lifestyle Questions...

Started by Google Beta User · · Last activity · 53 posts · 862 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 April 2005
Last activity
11 April 2005
Original author
Google Beta User
Posts
53
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
862
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 53
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thots:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    2 - Is running really bad for your knees? I am defintely NOT doing any
    step machine or treadmill. That drives me nuts, I've got to be on the
    road to do my running. Two of my friends have given up running and
    switched to biking and swimming, because they said they were worried
    about their knees. My argument is that they're probably using [censored]
    running shoes. I think running shoes are one of the things where you
    actually get what you pay for. A $120 shoe IS worth it.

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

  2. Google Beta User said:

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep?

    Ha. Good one.

    Jon

  3. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thots:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    2 - Is running really bad for your knees? I am defintely NOT doing any
    step machine or treadmill. That drives me nuts, I've got to be on the
    road to do my running. Two of my friends have given up running and
    switched to biking and swimming, because they said they were worried
    about their knees. My argument is that they're probably using [censored]
    running shoes. I think running shoes are one of the things where you
    actually get what you pay for. A $120 shoe IS worth it.

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    not weight training for lower body is going to affect lower body muscularity
    and upper body as well, though there's no need for workouts longer than an
    hour. My leg day is actually only 45 minutes, and it's enough. I do speed
    training, specifically sprints. They are anaerobic and great for calves and
    hams. They don't do much for my quads. Sprints up hills should be good for
    glutes and quads, but I'd rather do squats. I do sleep the 8 hours a night,
    but I don't watch much tv or party much anymore. If you are only working 8
    hour days, I would think that possible, more and it gets harder. It isn't
    always easy to do, but I manage most of the time. I hate jogging and I think
    that's hard on my knees, though sprints aren't and I do jump rope in lousey
    weather. I feel that hitting the big muscle groups once a week is enough
    like back, chest etc, but I like to hit my arms once directly and once
    indirectly. I don't know why you would train traps unless you are a specific
    strength athlete, such as a thrower or strongman competitor. If you do heavy
    deadlifts or cleans, you can save time. I work out 4 times a week in the wt.
    room. about an hour. Oh, stretching before lifting is a waste of time and
    can limit strength. Warming up is a waste too.

    Quoted message said:
  4. << not weight training for lower body is going to affect lower body
    muscularity
    and upper body as well, though there's no need for workouts longer than
    an
    hour.>>

    It's hard not to go over an hour when you take into account stretching.
    And unfortunately, sometimes there are too many people (yes, I go to
    Bally's). I'll try and start doing the 6 am thingy. Hey, I'll try.

    << My leg day is actually only 45 minutes, and it's enough. I do speed
    training, specifically sprints. They are anaerobic and great for calves
    and
    hams. They don't do much for my quads. Sprints up hills should be good
    for
    glutes and quads, but I'd rather do squats. I do sleep the 8 hours a
    night,
    but I don't watch much tv or party much anymore. If you are only
    working 8
    hour days, I would think that possible, more and it gets harder. It
    isn't
    always easy to do, but I manage most of the time.>>

    No offense, but I find it hard to have a profesional and social life
    PLUS some personal time and still find 8 hours a night to sleep.

    << I hate jogging and I think that's hard on my knees, though sprints
    aren't >>

    Do sprints/hills burn fat calories like running even though it's
    anaerobic?

    << I feel that hitting the big muscle groups once a week is enough like
    back, chest etc, but I like to hit my arms once directly and once
    indirectly. I don't know why you would train traps unless you are a
    specific strength athlete, such as a thrower or strongman competitor.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Eh. It's just that if I'm working out my shoulders I might as well
    develop the traps too. I don't want to have that "look" in which only
    my chest and biceps are puffed up.

    << If you do heavy deadlifts or cleans, you can save time.>>

    Are deadlifts a back or a hamstring exercise?

    << I work out 4 times a week in the wt. room. about an hour. >>

    Mind posting your routines?

    << Oh, stretching before lifting is a waste of time and
    can limit strength. Warming up is a waste too. >>

    Saywha?? Seriously, that's the FIRST time I've heard that.

  5. Google Beta User said:

    Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    Then it makes sense to cut back across the board.

    Why all the excuses for not training legs properly ? If you want wimpy legs,
    just do your beach muscles routine and be done for it.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Sure. This guy does "something like hills" (he's one of the top 10k guys in
    the country).

    http://www.mensracing.com/photos/usaxc03/usaxc541.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thots:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    Enough for what ... presumably to maintain ? Probably comes reasonably close
    (except lower body).

    Quoted message said:

    2 - Is running really bad for your knees?

    The short answer is, "NO". This is a myth.

    Slightly longer answer: you can get injuries from running like you can with any
    other exercise. But recreational running does not cause irreversible cartilage
    damage.

    Quoted message said:

    I am defintely NOT doing any
    step machine or treadmill. That drives me nuts, I've got to be on the
    road to do my running. Two of my friends have given up running and
    switched to biking and swimming, because they said they were worried
    about their knees.

    Leave the worrying to them -- they're obviously experts.

    Quoted message said:

    My argument is that they're probably using [censored]
    running shoes. I think running shoes are one of the things where you
    actually get what you pay for. A $120 shoe IS worth it.

    Yes and no. Real running shoes start at about $90. You can get closer to $60-
    at clearance prices.

    But it's a fairly safe bet that if the MSRP for a running shoe (excluding
    racing flats and spikes) is less than $85, then the shoe is garbage (and
    probably not a running shoe)

    Get your running shoes from a speciality retail outlet, or a specialty online
    store like roadrunnersports.com. Better to go retail though (again, not
    footlocker, but a place that specialises in running gear). The staff should be
    able to watch you run. If you come across as a clueless newbie, the staff
    should *ask* to watch you run, so they can help pick out a shoe for you.

    Quoted message said:

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    Dunno.

    Quoted message said:

    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    Like any other body part. Except that most people don't care whether their
    abs are well developed.

    Quoted message said:

    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?

    Depends on what you mean by aerobic or anaerobic. And how you approach them
    depends on your goals.

    Quoted message said:

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Depends on what you mean by "harmful". If you build muscle mass by using
    squats, you'll probably lose it if you stop doing squats and don't start doing
    anything comparable. And no, running hills isn't comparable.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  6. Kevin J. Coolidge said:

    not weight training for lower body is going to affect lower body muscularity
    and upper body as well, though there's no need for workouts longer than an
    hour. My leg day is actually only 45 minutes, and it's enough. I do speed
    training, specifically sprints. They are anaerobic and great for calves and
    hams. They don't do much for my quads. Sprints up hills should be good for
    glutes and quads, but I'd rather do squats.

    They might make those muscles feel sore, but they're not going to induce much
    hypertrophy. There are a lot of guys who "sprint" uphill a hell of a lot faster
    than you, and have thin legs.

    Quoted message said:

    I do sleep the 8 hours a night,
    but I don't watch much tv or party much anymore. If you are only working 8
    hour days, I would think that possible, more and it gets harder. It isn't
    always easy to do, but I manage most of the time. I hate jogging and I think
    that's hard on my knees, though sprints aren't

    Keep believing that if it makes you feel better, but it's not true. What you're
    calling "sprinting" is more likely to cause injury than what you're calling
    "jogging". The type of injury you'll get from this is *different*, but no less
    of a concern.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  7. Google Beta User said:

    << I hate jogging and I think that's hard on my knees, though sprints
    aren't >>

    Do sprints/hills burn fat calories like running even though it's
    anaerobic?

    The "type" of calories they burn isn't important.

    Depending on how you do them, they might burn a lot of calories, or they
    might burn very few.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  8. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thots:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    NO

    Quoted message said:


    2 - Is running really bad for your knees?

    Depends.

    Quoted message said:

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    never do

    Quoted message said:


    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    low volume frequently.

    Quoted message said:


    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?


    anaerobic

    Quoted message said:


    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?


    Yes, why not decrease the volume and just work on getting them stronger?

  9. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Google Beta User said:

    << I hate jogging and I think that's hard on my knees, though sprints
    aren't >>

    Do sprints/hills burn fat calories like running even though it's
    anaerobic?

    The "type" of calories they burn isn't important.

    Depending on how you do them, they might burn a lot of calories, or they
    might burn very few.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    calories burned is a moot point. It's excercises affect on your hormonal
    profile that has the big effect. Endurance excercise is fine if you like it,
    but short, intense excercise like sprints and weight lifting does fat loss
    better

  10. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kevin J. Coolidge said:

    not weight training for lower body is going to affect lower body
    muscularity
    and upper body as well, though there's no need for workouts longer than
    an
    hour. My leg day is actually only 45 minutes, and it's enough. I do speed
    training, specifically sprints. They are anaerobic and great for calves
    and
    hams. They don't do much for my quads. Sprints up hills should be good
    for
    glutes and quads, but I'd rather do squats.

    They might make those muscles feel sore, but they're not going to induce
    much
    hypertrophy. There are a lot of guys who "sprint" uphill a hell of a lot
    faster
    than you, and have thin legs.

    Quoted message said:

    I do sleep the 8 hours a night,
    but I don't watch much tv or party much anymore. If you are only working
    8
    hour days, I would think that possible, more and it gets harder. It isn't
    always easy to do, but I manage most of the time. I hate jogging and I
    think
    that's hard on my knees, though sprints aren't

    Keep believing that if it makes you feel better, but it's not true. What
    you're
    calling "sprinting" is more likely to cause injury than what you're
    calling
    "jogging". The type of injury you'll get from this is *different*, but no
    less
    of a concern.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Look at sprinters, best hamstring development of any professional
    athlete(yes, better than most bodybuilders too) and among the best for
    calves

  11. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Yes, why not decrease the volume and just work on getting them


    stronger

    Hmm, let me modify for squats:

    Quoted message said:

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    How about adding 3 sets each of squats and calves on the 6 set days?

    Remember, my goal is to be in and out of the gym. Idealy Go in at 8.30
    p.m, stretch until 8:45, lift, stretch at 9:15, and then be OFF of the
    gym floor by 9:30....

  12. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    << not weight training for lower body is going to affect lower body
    muscularity
    and upper body as well, though there's no need for workouts longer than
    an
    hour.>>

    It's hard not to go over an hour when you take into account stretching.
    And unfortunately, sometimes there are too many people (yes, I go to
    Bally's). I'll try and start doing the 6 am thingy. Hey, I'll try.

    << My leg day is actually only 45 minutes, and it's enough. I do speed
    training, specifically sprints. They are anaerobic and great for calves
    and
    hams. They don't do much for my quads. Sprints up hills should be good
    for
    glutes and quads, but I'd rather do squats. I do sleep the 8 hours a
    night,
    but I don't watch much tv or party much anymore. If you are only
    working 8
    hour days, I would think that possible, more and it gets harder. It
    isn't
    always easy to do, but I manage most of the time.>>

    No offense, but I find it hard to have a profesional and social life
    PLUS some personal time and still find 8 hours a night to sleep.

    << I hate jogging and I think that's hard on my knees, though sprints
    aren't >>

    Do sprints/hills burn fat calories like running even though it's
    anaerobic?

    << I feel that hitting the big muscle groups once a week is enough like
    back, chest etc, but I like to hit my arms once directly and once
    indirectly. I don't know why you would train traps unless you are a
    specific strength athlete, such as a thrower or strongman competitor.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Eh. It's just that if I'm working out my shoulders I might as well
    develop the traps too. I don't want to have that "look" in which only
    my chest and biceps are puffed up.

    << If you do heavy deadlifts or cleans, you can save time.>>

    Are deadlifts a back or a hamstring exercise?

    << I work out 4 times a week in the wt. room. about an hour. >>

    Mind posting your routines?

    << Oh, stretching before lifting is a waste of time and
    can limit strength. Warming up is a waste too. >>

    Saywha?? Seriously, that's the FIRST time I've heard that.

    Deadlifts are great for back and hams. Actually, the work almost everything
    except the pushing muscles like chest and tri and delts. They work rear
    delts. Look up on stretching and warmup, or read Pavel. I don't warm up
    anymore, I stretch between my sets to save time.
    My routine
    Day 1 Back and shoulder
    day 2 chest and hams
    day 3 quads and abs
    day 4 arms, forearms, grip work

    I do 3 to 4 times a week. I like to do tue and wed , fri sat. But there's
    nothing that says you have to work it in the same 7 day period. The week is
    a manmade concept, not your body's.

    Quoted message said:
  13. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Yes, why not decrease the volume and just work on getting them


    stronger

    Hmm, let me modify for squats:

    Quoted message said:

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    How about adding 3 sets each of squats and calves on the 6 set days?

    Remember, my goal is to be in and out of the gym. Idealy Go in at 8.30
    p.m, stretch until 8:45, lift, stretch at 9:15, and then be OFF of the
    gym floor by 9:30....


    so you are going to do 8 sets of chest in a week......how does that break
    down?
    " " lats..

    Have you looked into abbreviated routines with more frequency?
    What is your ultimate goal? Hypertrophy or strength gains? maybe primary
    goal?

  14. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Yes, why not decrease the volume and just work on getting them


    stronger

    Hmm, let me modify for squats:

    Quoted message said:

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    How about adding 3 sets each of squats and calves on the 6 set days?

    Remember, my goal is to be in and out of the gym. Idealy Go in at 8.30
    p.m, stretch until 8:45, lift, stretch at 9:15, and then be OFF of the
    gym floor by 9:30....

    How about if you bench press then deadlift or squat 4 days per week,
    each lift for 3 sets of 5 reps? That should do a lot of what you want
    while taking very little time in the gym. You could even bench press
    one day, deadlift or squat the next, 5 sets of 5 reps on a single
    exercise for each workout. That would get you 2 bench sessions plus 2
    dl or sq sessions (or one of each, dl and sq) per week Simple, short,
    to the point.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  15. <<Have you looked into abbreviated routines with more frequency? >>

    What is an "abbreviated routine", I'm asking because I don't know if
    you're saying gym trips should be more frequent than 4/7 days.

    << What is your ultimate goal? Hypertrophy or strength gains? maybe
    primary goal? >>

    I get 'a high' of sorts from exercising (both running and lifting
    weights), I do a lot of thinking and reflecting while in the gym or on
    the road. Then also ofcourse, I want to be generally fit (energetic
    and strong) and to look good of course - yeah, who doesn't want to look
    good when they take of their shirt? I DON'T want the skinny magazine
    model look though.

    I'm 5'10" 185 (mostly lean weight, but I could lose some love handles,
    and I kind of have a large derriere, but I think that's just genes
    though...).

    I know I sound very vague, but I don't have _specific_ goals, maybe I
    should?

  16. << I don't know why you would train traps unless you are a specific
    strength athlete, such as a thrower or strongman competitor. If you do
    heavy
    deadlifts or cleans,>>

    Hmm...perhaps I can eliminate a trap specific exercise if I can find
    exercises in which it is indirectly worked.

    Do any shoulder or any back exercises work out the traps?

  17. In rec.sport.football.college Google Beta User said:

    Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thots:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    YMMV. I find that my strength backslides if I only do a particular muscle
    group once in a week. So, I go for two. One day I'll go heavy/few reps.
    Then two to three days later (I never work the same muscle group with less
    than 48 hours of rest), I'll go light/many reps.

    Also, for a single muscle group, I will do a variety of movements, week-to-week.
    For chest, one week on Monday I'll five sets of twelve reps of incline bench barbell,
    followed on Thursday by three sets decline, five sets flat bench pyramid/set of negatives/
    one set low-weight rep-out/negative on last rep, three sets incline bench. Next week,
    I'll come back to do the same things, but with dumbells, then the following week,
    I'll incorporate flies and maybe do some supersets. Variety is the spice of life.

    Quoted message said:


    2 - Is running really bad for your knees? I am defintely NOT doing any
    step machine or treadmill. That drives me nuts, I've got to be on the
    road to do my running. Two of my friends have given up running and
    switched to biking and swimming, because they said they were worried
    about their knees. My argument is that they're probably using [censored]
    running shoes. I think running shoes are one of the things where you
    actually get what you pay for. A $120 shoe IS worth it.

    Yes it is. Worth every penny, and then some.

    Quoted message said:


    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    Unfortunately, yes. Gotta have some downtime there somewhere, though.

    Quoted message said:

    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    You can do abs/forearms/calves every day.

    Quoted message said:


    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?

    Anaerobic. If you can do hills/sprints two/three times a week, you will
    get all the cardio you need.

    Quoted message said:


    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Depends. If you are doing a lot of running with upperbody weightlifting,
    probably not. But its such a useful exercise, as it affects a *lot* of
    muscles. Same with dead-lifts.

    Try this workout sometime: set up two bars - one for squat/deadlift, one
    for benchpress - with about 30-40% of your max lifting weights for both
    movements. Then:
    set of 10 deadlifts/squats, followed *immediately* by
    set of 10 benchpresses, followed by
    one minute rest, then
    repeat five or six times.
    You may need a spotter on your last set of benchpresses. And you will be
    gasping for breath.

    One thing I've learned the hard way is that its very easy to ignore core
    back muscles. These are small muscles that run along the spine. While we
    are pushing around all these big weights with squats and presses and such,
    these little guys quietly do their work of supporting the back and spine.
    Well, quietly most of the time. Eventually, especially with us old guys,
    they tend to get sore and inflamed. Then they do unsportsman like things
    like rubbing up against nerves, which causes all sorts of pain, which can
    travel down your legs and feet. Don't neglect these muscles. They don't
    require much attention, but they do require some attention. Some simple
    stretches (lower back and hamstring in particular), and some weight-free
    exercises (bridges, for example) is all it takes.

    --Lee

  18. "Google Beta User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I'm considering giving up lower body weight training. I just need to
    find a way to keep myself motivated...I defintely do not want to be in
    the gym for more than 75 minutes per session (including pre and post
    workout stretching) nor do I want to have to go the gym for anything
    more than four days a week.

    I'm hoping doing something like hills, can work out my calves and quads
    well enough.

    Goal: Maintain lean mass.
    Lifestyle: 23 male, 185, 5'10".

    So my new routine would be:
    M - Chest (8 sets) Tue - Lat (8 sets)
    Thu - Traps (3 sets) Fri - Bis (3 sets)
    Delts (3 sets) Tris(3 sets)

    I'll throw in abs and 30 minute running sessions randomly.

    Thoughts, coming from the perspective of one who lifts weights because it
    helps with rowing:

    If you want to cut down gym time, then there are better things to drop than
    leg weights. There's no need to do 8 sets of chest work, or lats (back?)
    work. Furthermore, chest exercises will probably cover triceps too, back
    exercises will probably cover biceps, and your delts and traps will get some
    work too. So drop some of that work. Your legs are important.

    Quoted message said:

    1 - Is hitting one muscle group once a week enough?

    Will probably be enough to keep strength up, assuming you're not
    super-strong now. It'd cause me to be sore all the time, though, whereas 2
    or 3 full-body sessions a week doesn't.

    Quoted message said:

    2 - Is running really bad for your knees? I am defintely NOT doing any
    step machine or treadmill. That drives me nuts, I've got to be on the
    road to do my running. Two of my friends have given up running and
    switched to biking and swimming, because they said they were worried
    about their knees. My argument is that they're probably using [censored]
    running shoes. I think running shoes are one of the things where you
    actually get what you pay for. A $120 shoe IS worth it.

    Yes, running is bad for your knees, to some extent. But good shoes will
    minimise that, not being overweight will help (you don't say whether you're
    185lbs of pure muscle or whether there's a bit of fat in there too, but for
    a runner you are fairly heavy). In any case, if your knees aren't causing
    problems now, then you probably don't need to worry now. For what it's
    worth, road running (hard surface) is going to be less kind to your knees
    than running on grass.

    Quoted message said:

    3 - Does anyone actually get the recommended 8 hours of sleep? I find
    it impossible to do so in the modern world, what with 8 hour work
    weeks? 5-6 hours seems much more realistic.

    I try to, I usually don't manage either. If you're tired all the time, then
    find a way to get more sleep.

    Quoted message said:

    4 - Are abs 'special' muscles that can be trained at will, or should
    they be treated like any other body part and worked out in regular sets
    infrequently?

    You probably will get a fair bit of core work done with your squats and
    deadlifts; but abs are just muscles, yes.

    Quoted message said:

    5 - Are hills, or speed training (i.e. intervals) anaerobic or aerobic?

    Mixture. If you do short intervals with lots of rest, then it's mainly
    anaerobic; if you're doing say 20s on, 2' off, then you won't work your
    aerobic systems much. If you do longer intervals, or shorter rests, or both,
    you will be working your aerobic systems more.

    Quoted message said:

    6 - Is giving up squats harmful?

    Yes. :-)

    Peter

  19. Kevin J. Coolidge said:

    calories burned is a moot point. It's excercises affect on your hormonal
    profile that has the big effect. Endurance excercise is fine if you like it,
    but short, intense excercise like sprints and weight lifting does fat loss
    better

    Not true, at least not at the level of generality you're stating it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  20. << Depends. If you are doing a lot of running with upperbody
    weightlifting,
    probably not. But its such a useful exercise, as it affects a *lot* of
    muscles. Same with dead-lifts. >>

    When I do deadlifts, I don't FEEL like they do anything, other than I
    kind of have to concentrate on keeping balance and on form. (I do all
    my reps one-two up, one-two down). Maybe I do them too light.

    << Try this workout sometime: set up two bars - one for squat/deadlift,
    one
    for benchpress - with about 30-40% of your max lifting weights for both

    movements. Then:
    set of 10 deadlifts/squats, followed *immediately* by
    set of 10 benchpresses, followed by
    one minute rest, then
    repeat five or six times.
    You may need a spotter on your last set of benchpresses. And you will
    be
    gasping for breath. >>

    That's cool...but does it fit in with my goals?

    << One thing I've learned the hard way is that its very easy to ignore
    core
    back muscles. These are small muscles that run along the spine. While
    we
    are pushing around all these big weights with squats and presses and
    such,
    these little guys quietly do their work of supporting the back and
    spine.
    Well, quietly most of the time. >>

    Isn't that the erector spinae(?)? Isn't that taken care of when doing
    squats and/or deadlifts?

    << Some simple stretches (lower back and hamstring in particular), and
    some weight-free
    exercises (bridges, for example) is all it takes. >>

    More and more according to the advice in this thread, it seems like
    compound movements are the way to go. Question: Is there a difference
    (in muscles worked) between a full military press* and a power clean?
    I'm trying to get something that will hit my traps hard.

    *Military Press in which at the end of the set, the barbell goes on the
    floor. Of course you do it standing.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.