Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: To ride with a World Champion

Started by Paladin · · Last activity · 13 posts · 532 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
6 December 2006
Last activity
8 December 2006
Original author
Paladin
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
532
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, sorta.. but let me not get ahead of myself.

    My Barney class ride was tonight, and the retired Squid himself, salty
    ole Commander Fred showed up, the most faithful of the group. I don't
    think he's bailed in the 7 mos I've been running this ride. The slowest
    and oldest, and I love him for his perseverance and let's just do it
    attitude.

    So I took him up the back roads to Table Rock, where there's a 60 foot
    cross that's lighted and looks over the valley at night.

    On the way up, we saw two different herds of deer. Hunting season is
    obviously over, neeener, neener, neener they say.

    Sunset over the valley was spectacular, but we turned back about 4/5's
    the way up, due to the Commander out of gas, and that's fine. He's
    trying hard.

    So I go to our downtown YMCA and hop on a spin bike and do some pretty
    gut busting intervals. Limp upstairs to hit the stacks, and hear this
    huge commotion coming out of an aerobics room. Look in and it's full of
    spin bikes, crowded, hot, loud and everybody's grinning and hooting
    like a rodeo. They're handing out t-shirts, water bottles, and the
    dude all dressed up as the mc pulls me in and says get after it, boy,
    there's a bike in the back, and grab yourself a t-shirt.

    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Then hit the weights, found the woman, swam a few laps with my girl,
    then sent the woman out to order me a humungo chili burger at a local
    50's joint, where they really take care of you.

    Did I mention this was a great day?

    CDB

  2. Nice, this made for some good reading. I don't know that you can call
    that riding with her, but it's about as close as you're going to get
    without hitting the pavement and I'd say chatting with her afterwards
    makes up for the difference.
    Sounds like a great day. Whereabouts is this? 60 foot cross!! I'm
    guessing it's not in my neck of the woods having grown up in MA & now
    living in NH.
    I'm thinking I should look into a group ride in the spring. Anyway,
    good post.

    Dan

    Paladin said:

    Well, sorta.. but let me not get ahead of myself.

    My Barney class ride was tonight, and the retired Squid himself, salty
    ole Commander Fred showed up, the most faithful of the group. I don't
    think he's bailed in the 7 mos I've been running this ride. The slowest
    and oldest, and I love him for his perseverance and let's just do it
    attitude.

    So I took him up the back roads to Table Rock, where there's a 60 foot
    cross that's lighted and looks over the valley at night.

    On the way up, we saw two different herds of deer. Hunting season is
    obviously over, neeener, neener, neener they say.

    Sunset over the valley was spectacular, but we turned back about 4/5's
    the way up, due to the Commander out of gas, and that's fine. He's
    trying hard.

    So I go to our downtown YMCA and hop on a spin bike and do some pretty
    gut busting intervals. Limp upstairs to hit the stacks, and hear this
    huge commotion coming out of an aerobics room. Look in and it's full of
    spin bikes, crowded, hot, loud and everybody's grinning and hooting
    like a rodeo. They're handing out t-shirts, water bottles, and the
    dude all dressed up as the mc pulls me in and says get after it, boy,
    there's a bike in the back, and grab yourself a t-shirt.

    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Then hit the weights, found the woman, swam a few laps with my girl,
    then sent the woman out to order me a humungo chili burger at a local
    50's joint, where they really take care of you.

    Did I mention this was a great day?

    CDB

  3. Quoted message said:

    Nice, this made for some good reading. I don't know that you can call
    that riding with her, but it's about as close as you're going to get
    without hitting the pavement and I'd say chatting with her afterwards
    makes up for the difference.
    Sounds like a great day. Whereabouts is this? 60 foot cross!! I'm
    guessing it's not in my neck of the woods having grown up in MA & now
    living in NH.
    I'm thinking I should look into a group ride in the spring. Anyway,
    good post.

    Dan

    Paladin said:

    Well, sorta.. but let me not get ahead of myself.

    My Barney class ride was tonight, and the retired Squid himself, salty
    ole Commander Fred showed up, the most faithful of the group. I don't
    think he's bailed in the 7 mos I've been running this ride. The slowest
    and oldest, and I love him for his perseverance and let's just do it
    attitude.

    So I took him up the back roads to Table Rock, where there's a 60 foot
    cross that's lighted and looks over the valley at night.

    On the way up, we saw two different herds of deer. Hunting season is
    obviously over, neeener, neener, neener they say.

    Sunset over the valley was spectacular, but we turned back about 4/5's
    the way up, due to the Commander out of gas, and that's fine. He's
    trying hard.

    So I go to our downtown YMCA and hop on a spin bike and do some pretty
    gut busting intervals. Limp upstairs to hit the stacks, and hear this
    huge commotion coming out of an aerobics room. Look in and it's full of
    spin bikes, crowded, hot, loud and everybody's grinning and hooting
    like a rodeo. They're handing out t-shirts, water bottles, and the
    dude all dressed up as the mc pulls me in and says get after it, boy,
    there's a bike in the back, and grab yourself a t-shirt.

    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Then hit the weights, found the woman, swam a few laps with my girl,
    then sent the woman out to order me a humungo chili burger at a local
    50's joint, where they really take care of you.

    Did I mention this was a great day?

    CDB

    Boise. here's a tiny pictorial on the area we rode last night, and
    shows the cross, and my ole loaner hardtail that just won't die:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=48268

    CDB

  4. Paladin said:

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Yeah, but was she hot too? My guess is yes because of the fuss.

    JD

  5. JD said:
    Paladin said:

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Yeah, but was she hot too? My guess is yes because of the fuss.

    JD

    Hotter'n a Glock 39 sold out the back door for $100 cash... !

    yeah, which reminds me of a philosophical debate with the guy I rode
    with last night. Is it pretty gals who go out to run, ride, etc., or
    do the activities help make them pretty... Seems the majority out there
    on the trails are pretty fine, regardless of your thoughts on the
    debate.

    CDB

  6. MattB said:

    Paladin wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    That's pretty cool. I've only ridden with a national champion and
    Olympic bronze medalist (who are married and live here).

    Dave, the former National champ gets to race Lance in the next
    Leadville, which is pretty exciting! Go Dave!

    The XTerra Triathlon World Champ stays at my brother's house sometimes
    but I've only hung out and boozed with her. We haven't been out for a
    ride together (although my bro says I'd like her riding style, she
    apparently really gets after it on the DH, for a Tri geek).

    Matt

    The funniest thing about the hour long spin, is she would have us
    adding resisitance to the spin, and she'd be ratcheting it up to, but
    she was still spinning at 150rpms no matter the resisistance, while the
    rest of us were sweating and dying out there, she made it almost look
    fake, until the shots of her being on the center of the podiums
    receiving gold medals all over the world, then I understood why it
    stayed so easy for her...

    Hey, and regarding the X-Terra, we hosted an official X-terra race out
    of McCall last year, put on my ole buddy Ron, and it was quite the
    course.

    CDB

  7. Paladin said:

    yeah, which reminds me of a philosophical debate with the guy I rode
    with last night. Is it pretty gals who go out to run, ride, etc., or
    do the activities help make them pretty... Seems the majority out there
    on the trails are pretty fine, regardless of your thoughts on the
    debate.

    CDB

    It's simple. A toned, athletic body does much to improve one's looks.
    Pretty much any fat old dog looks "not bad" if she gets in shape.

    --
    Lynn Wallace

    If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
    speaking German now.

  8. Paladin said:

    The funniest thing about the hour long spin, is she would have us
    adding resisitance to the spin, and she'd be ratcheting it up to, but
    she was still spinning at 150rpms no matter the resisistance, while the
    rest of us were sweating and dying out there, she made it almost look
    fake, until the shots of her being on the center of the podiums
    receiving gold medals all over the world, then I understood why it
    stayed so easy for her...

    But did you happen to sneak a touch of the flywheel on her bike?
    Granted, the typical world champion roadie can sustain 300 Watts, but
    they can also fake a high cadence forever against low resistance.

    --
    Lynn Wallace

    If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
    speaking German now.

  9. Paladin said:
    MattB said:

    Paladin wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    That's pretty cool. I've only ridden with a national champion and
    Olympic bronze medalist (who are married and live here).

    Dave, the former National champ gets to race Lance in the next
    Leadville, which is pretty exciting! Go Dave!

    The XTerra Triathlon World Champ stays at my brother's house sometimes
    but I've only hung out and boozed with her. We haven't been out for a
    ride together (although my bro says I'd like her riding style, she
    apparently really gets after it on the DH, for a Tri geek).

    Matt

    The funniest thing about the hour long spin, is she would have us
    adding resisitance to the spin, and she'd be ratcheting it up to, but
    she was still spinning at 150rpms no matter the resisistance, while the
    rest of us were sweating and dying out there, she made it almost look
    fake, until the shots of her being on the center of the podiums
    receiving gold medals all over the world, then I understood why it
    stayed so easy for her...

    Hey, and regarding the X-Terra, we hosted an official X-terra race out
    of McCall last year, put on my ole buddy Ron, and it was quite the
    course.

    CDB

    I think my brother and his wife might have done that race. His wife
    turned pro this year and she's been out there racking up points.

    My bro is also the race director for the Crested Butte XTerra which has
    become pretty popular over the last couple of years.

    Matt

  10. Wow. That picture puts it in perspective, that thing is even bigger
    than I was imagining.

    Seems like a nice place to ride from the pictures. Aside from that, is
    that a suspension seatpost on the hardtail?

    Paladin said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nice, this made for some good reading. I don't know that you can call
    that riding with her, but it's about as close as you're going to get
    without hitting the pavement and I'd say chatting with her afterwards
    makes up for the difference.
    Sounds like a great day. Whereabouts is this? 60 foot cross!! I'm
    guessing it's not in my neck of the woods having grown up in MA & now
    living in NH.
    I'm thinking I should look into a group ride in the spring. Anyway,
    good post.

    Quoted message said:

    Dan

    Quoted message said:
    Paladin said:

    Well, sorta.. but let me not get ahead of myself.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My Barney class ride was tonight, and the retired Squid himself, salty
    ole Commander Fred showed up, the most faithful of the group. I don't
    think he's bailed in the 7 mos I've been running this ride. The slowest
    and oldest, and I love him for his perseverance and let's just do it
    attitude.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So I took him up the back roads to Table Rock, where there's a 60 foot
    cross that's lighted and looks over the valley at night.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On the way up, we saw two different herds of deer. Hunting season is
    obviously over, neeener, neener, neener they say.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sunset over the valley was spectacular, but we turned back about 4/5's
    the way up, due to the Commander out of gas, and that's fine. He's
    trying hard.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So I go to our downtown YMCA and hop on a spin bike and do some pretty
    gut busting intervals. Limp upstairs to hit the stacks, and hear this
    huge commotion coming out of an aerobics room. Look in and it's full of
    spin bikes, crowded, hot, loud and everybody's grinning and hooting
    like a rodeo. They're handing out t-shirts, water bottles, and the
    dude all dressed up as the mc pulls me in and says get after it, boy,
    there's a bike in the back, and grab yourself a t-shirt.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I finally realize what's happening. This is the night that these
    yahoos paid $75 as part of a fundraiser to spin for an hour or so with
    *Kristin Armstrong*, a local roadie girl who done real good... watch
    her slide show, see her many gold medals, do questions and answers. So
    little ole me gets roped in and saddled up for free, and I spin my guts
    out some more, sweating to lots of great 70's and 80's metal bands.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you call it riding with her? Sorta spinning with her and 40
    others, I guess. I got to talk with her a little afterwards, tell her
    how proud we are, etc., and she's probably the fittest athlete I've
    ever met in person.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Then hit the weights, found the woman, swam a few laps with my girl,
    then sent the woman out to order me a humungo chili burger at a local
    50's joint, where they really take care of you.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Did I mention this was a great day?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    CDBBoise. here's a tiny pictorial on the area we rode last night, and


    shows the cross, and my ole loaner hardtail that just won't die:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=48268

    CDB- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

  11. Quoted message said:

    Wow. That picture puts it in perspective, that thing is even bigger
    than I was imagining.

    Seems like a nice place to ride from the pictures. Aside from that, is
    that a suspension seatpost on the hardtail?

    Yep, a U.S.E. xcr, works pretty well too, and takes the bite off a
    short-travel hardtail.

    That area's pretty cool, too. Lots of deer up there, rockchucks,
    jackrabbits, foxes, even the 2-legged kinds... Pretty grand views, too.

    CDB

  12. No kidding. Aside from being jealous of the area (which I
    unfortunately don't see myself traveling to anytime soon), I'm
    intrigued by that seat post. I too ride a short travel hardtail, and
    never considered suspension on the seat. The only time I've seen such
    a thing is on wide cruiser seats, and that's a completely different
    deal. Aside from soaking up some bumps, how does it affect the feel of
    the bike? I'd be afraid it would feel spongy or loose. I suppose some
    research is in order.

    Dan

    Paladin said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow. That picture puts it in perspective, that thing is even bigger
    than I was imagining.

    Quoted message said:

    Seems like a nice place to ride from the pictures. Aside from that, is
    that a suspension seatpost on the hardtail?Yep, a U.S.E. xcr, works pretty well too, and takes the bite off a


    short-travel hardtail.

    That area's pretty cool, too. Lots of deer up there, rockchucks,
    jackrabbits, foxes, even the 2-legged kinds... Pretty grand views, too.

    CDB

  13. Quoted message said:

    No kidding. Aside from being jealous of the area (which I
    unfortunately don't see myself traveling to anytime soon), I'm
    intrigued by that seat post. I too ride a short travel hardtail, and
    never considered suspension on the seat. The only time I've seen such
    a thing is on wide cruiser seats, and that's a completely different
    deal. Aside from soaking up some bumps, how does it affect the feel of
    the bike? I'd be afraid it would feel spongy or loose. I suppose some
    research is in order.

    Dan

    Paladin said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow. That picture puts it in perspective, that thing is even bigger
    than I was imagining.

    Quoted message said:

    Seems like a nice place to ride from the pictures. Aside from that, is
    that a suspension seatpost on the hardtail?Yep, a U.S.E. xcr, works pretty well too, and takes the bite off a


    short-travel hardtail.

    That area's pretty cool, too. Lots of deer up there, rockchucks,
    jackrabbits, foxes, even the 2-legged kinds... Pretty grand views, too.

    CDB

    No problems. When I got it about 5 or 6 yrs ago, it was considered the
    best on the market. It is fairly stiff, and just takes the bite out of
    unexpected seated hits that normally would be absorbed by your tailbone
    or spine. I've raced on it, and put more than 1,500 miles on it all
    over the western U.S. and never noticed a problem that some get with
    cheaper suspension posts, like screwing up your pedal stroke, etc. But
    I finally went to a truly dandy double squish for the fact that at
    48yrs young, it was the right thing to do for my spine over the long
    haul.

    CDB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.