Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: The labors of fruit...

Started by mamba · · Last activity · 7 posts · 392 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
7 August 2006
Last activity
15 August 2006
Original author
mamba
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
392
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, the title doesn't quite capture the essence, but it's a start.

    On a rare weekend stuck in the city (Portland) we opted to crunch our
    chores into Saturday and leave Sunday open for a ride. Since we hadn't
    done Hagg Lake this season (gee, maybe not last season either), it got
    the vote.

    Funny, I had a dim memory telling me that Hagg Lake in August wasn't
    something I wanted to do, but I couldn't get it to solidify. Once past
    the 2-3 nanoseconds of my attention span, I figured I must be confusing
    Hagg Lake with someplace else. After all, it's a moderate length (~15
    miles), lots of ups and downs but no extreme climbs, and has a paved
    ring road in case you need to bail.

    Got a late start and had to make stops on the way, so arrived near
    12:30. The sun overhead was really blazing, with temps in the 90s. I
    was looking forward to getting into the trees. Got our packs all
    stashed, added some tire pressure for the hard packed dirt, and set
    off.

    A couple of miles in and a few good climbs later, we hit the first open
    glade type area overlooking the lake. At first all you notice is the
    nice looking water and the surrounding hills with blue sky (cue the
    orchestra). Lots of folks enjoying the water in various ways, but the
    trail is deserted. Then you notice that the entire wall of greenery in
    front of you is speckled with dots of dark blue and black.
    Blackberries!! The freakin motherload!!!

    We gorge for a few minutes, have some water, and start to ride again.
    Something is still nagging at me, but my sugar high has me oblivious.
    Finally we end a long downhill out of some trees, take a sharp banked
    left and plunge into a section of very narrow rutted track that barely
    allows for handlbars between the undergrowth. Wait, that's not
    undergrowth, that's *#$*$ ohhh [censored] @&$&$^ son-of-a-$@#@#. Another
    freakin motherload. Big green tendrils the size of your thumb hanging
    from above, sticking out from both sides, lying on the trail. And big
    honking thorns sticking out of those.

    At speed, all you can do in hunch down, pull in your knees and elbows,
    and duck your head so the helmet gets the worst of it. I bellowed a
    warning at my wife who was a few yards back, and prayed my momentum
    would carry my past the thicket. By the time I get out, I look like
    I've had a bad tatoo on both arms and legs. My shirt looks like
    macrame, but my passage has cleared things enough that I can push the
    worst out of the way with a stick and let Sandy thru. She is
    appreciative. Not terribly sympathetic, but appreciative. And, oh,
    yeah, she declines my offer to let her lead ;-)

    The next 10 miles brought on another 3 or 4 big thickets. We walk the
    rest of them, moving and snapping what branches we could. It made for
    a much longer, hotter ride than necessary, but hopefully folks in the
    next few days won't get quite as torn up as we did.

    Note to self: Bike this trail in June, and pay attention the next time
    you get that nagging feeling about a particular trail.

    Gary

  2. mamba said:

    The next 10 miles brought on another 3 or 4 big thickets. We walk the
    rest of them, moving and snapping what branches we could.

    I joined the PDX club on Hagg Lake trail maintenance a couple of years
    back, and being the trailworker newbie I got the task of clearing some of
    those. Awful work, but I'd run the gauntlets there many times so it felt
    good to clear them. Its only temporary with those, though.

    Sounds like this year is worse than most. That southwest section always
    has been lousy, with the blackberry bushes and cracked-clay trails.
    Sometimes we just skip it and ride around on the road to the west
    trailhead. The the only thing that makes August bad at Hagg is that the
    lake gets low and it smells awful!

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  3. mamba said:

    Well, the title doesn't quite capture the essence, but it's a start.

    On a rare weekend stuck in the city (Portland) we opted to crunch our
    chores into Saturday and leave Sunday open for a ride. Since we hadn't
    done Hagg Lake this season (gee, maybe not last season either), it got
    the vote.
    Note to self: Bike this trail in June, and pay attention the next time
    you get that nagging feeling about a particular trail.

    Gary

    Now that was pretty funny. Be sure to let BB know that more mtce is in
    order. 🙂

    CDB

  4. mamba said:

    Big green tendrils the size of your thumb hanging from above, sticking
    out from both sides, lying on the trail. And big honking thorns
    sticking out of those.

    Ouch.

    Quoted message said:

    Note to self: Bike this trail in June, and pay attention the next time
    you get that nagging feeling about a particular trail.

    I haven't even heard of Hagg Lake...going to put it on my list for next
    year.

    gabrielle

  5. [...very nice RR...]

    gabrielle said:


    Ouch.


    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    I haven't even heard of Hagg Lake...going to put it on my list for next
    year.

    That's the spirit.

    CC

  6. gabrielle said:

    I haven't even heard of Hagg Lake...going to put it on my list for next
    year.

    Its probably the easiest singletrack in the area, and being at low
    altitude it dries early in the summer.

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  7. Go in June, after it's been dry a few days. The rain makes the fine
    dusty stuff turn into a nasty slipperly clay that is not fun.

    Also, Brown's Camp is about the same distance from Portland, and has
    great trails.

    gabrielle said:

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:46:39 -0700, mamba wrote:

    I haven't even heard of Hagg Lake...going to put it on my list for next
    year.

    gabrielle

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.