Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: sometimes, all you need is a dirt road

Started by Monique Y. Mudama · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,010 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
20 May 2004
Last activity
22 May 2004
Original author
Monique Y. Mudama
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,010
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. All I need, anyway.

    I'll put my questions first:

    1. Okay, I know that shifting the front ring while on a hill can lead
    to nasty chain suck issues. Blech. But shifting early seems to put me
    in a position where I can't/don't spin fast enough to match my speed
    coming up to the hill, so I lose all my momentum right at the bottom as
    my wheel slows down to match my feet. That sucks. Any suggestions?
    (I'm guessing the answer is "pedal faster!", but I'm hoping for
    something more detailed, like, "Pedal faster, doofus!"😉

    2. Clipless cleat positioning. The inside of my left knee hurt a bit
    on the really long, gradual climb -- every time. The knees didn't hurt
    for the rest of the loop, though. Now, this could be arthritis (yes, I
    have arthritis at 26 -- doctor-confirmed and everything); my knees hurt
    when I woke up this morning. But if it were a cleat problem, how should
    I change my foot position to get rid of pain to the inner knee?

    Anyway, on to the RR:

    Well, Eric's been in the hospital since Saturday night, pretty much
    destroying my weekly routine. I've been living at the hospital. Come
    Tuesday night, I realize that I haven't done anything active since
    Saturday afternoon, and I'm really getting antsy. Eric's on the upswing
    and his parents are in town to visit with him, so I decide that I can
    allow myself a quick ride.

    Long story short, I find myself at my old standby, Eagle Trail. A dirt
    road with no technical sections and very gradual ups and downs. As this
    is my first-ever solo ride, though, a boring trail is just the ticket.
    At 4:30, almost no one is there. I set up and go.

    And I thoroughly enjoy myself.

    Here's why, sometimes, a dirt road and some solitude is all you need:

    - Getting used to clipless at my own pace (I'm trying the multirelease
    cleats now, but the idea of stopping, then toppling still scares the
    bejeesus out of me). I can slow down to almost a halt and practice
    clipping in and out without wasting anyone's time.

    - Taking time out whenever I want to practice drills. Here and there,
    I'd slow to almost a halt and work on my balance a bit. Now and again,
    I practiced my bunny hop. Again, I don't feel guilty, because the only
    clock I'm on is my own.

    - Playing with gears and brakes; getting to know my bike a little
    better.

    - Riding at my own pace. I'm too competetive to go at my own pace when
    my friends are ahead of me. Consequently, a single lap usually gets me
    pretty tired, because I'm gasping the whole time. I did three laps this
    time, and might have done more, but I had to head back and my knee was
    bugging me.

    Some folks have been telling me that it's hard to improve at a sport if
    you're always working so hard as to be past the aerobic range. Well,
    whenever I ride with friends, I'm working that hard. I think that a few
    sessions a week on this trail are just the ticket for getting some
    aerobic exercise while getting more comfortable on my bike.

    Mini ER #1: Rudy Project Kerosene. First of all, I'd like to recommend
    Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder to anyone shopping for performance
    eye stuff. I've spent several hours of Tom, the owner's, time over the
    last months hemming and hawing over his selection. I finally decided on
    these. I really like them. They're small enough that my small face
    doesn't look bug-eyed, but big enough to cover my whole eye area. They
    vent well. The two lenses I chose, racing red and action brown, are
    great for variable light conditions and bright sun, respectively. My
    lenses don't get all fogged up when I ride anymore! I really like these
    things. And did I mention to check out Tom's? He spent a ton of time
    with me, adjusted my regular glasses frames twice, gave me honest
    feedback, undercharged me for the extra set of lenses, and threw in a
    free (nice!) case for my regular glasses when I asked to buy one. And
    we had a great time talking bike stuff while he was doing all that. I
    overheard a conversation between another salesperson there and a
    customer, and she also ended up charging the customer less than she'd
    originally estimated. How often do you see that?

    Mini ER #2: shimano multi-release cleats. Still haven't decided if they
    actually make it easier or not. It's certainly not a night and day
    difference. I had my right foot pull out a couple of times practicing
    bunny hops last Saturday, but I think that's because I had way too much
    mud packed in under the cleat, thanks to a really impressive slow-motion
    endo.

    --
    monique

  2. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    All I need, anyway.

    I'll put my questions first:

    1. Okay, I know that shifting the front ring while on a hill can lead
    to nasty chain suck issues. Blech. But shifting early seems to put
    me in a position where I can't/don't spin fast enough to match my
    speed coming up to the hill, so I lose all my momentum right at the
    bottom as my wheel slows down to match my feet. That sucks. Any
    suggestions? (I'm guessing the answer is "pedal faster!", but I'm
    hoping for something more detailed, like, "Pedal faster, doofus!"😉

    Try shifting to a harder gear in the rear just before dropping down to
    granny in front. That way your cadence will stay about the same until the
    climbing starts, and then you can shift up in the back as the grade
    requires.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Clipless cleat positioning. The inside of my left knee hurt a bit
    on the really long, gradual climb -- every time. The knees didn't
    hurt for the rest of the loop, though. Now, this could be arthritis
    (yes, I have arthritis at 26 -- doctor-confirmed and everything); my
    knees hurt when I woke up this morning. But if it were a cleat
    problem, how should I change my foot position to get rid of pain to
    the inner knee?

    My guess (and that's what it is): try moving the cleat(s) DOWN a tad,
    toward the heel. Seems to take a little stress off the knees for me.

    Also, even though it's a pain in the ass, ICE it/them! Really does help.

    Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT. Gotta
    strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, on to the RR:

    {very nice rr snipped}

    Quoted message said:

    Mini ER #2: shimano multi-release cleats. Still haven't decided if
    they actually make it easier or not. It's certainly not a night and
    day difference. I had my right foot pull out a couple of times
    practicing bunny hops last Saturday, but I think that's because I had
    way too much mud packed in under the cleat, thanks to a really
    impressive slow-motion endo.

    I use Eggbeaters nowadays, but way back when I tried the multi-release
    cleats and didn't like 'em. They felt too "mushy" to me, and didn't give me
    that positive CLICK that the single release ones did. YMMV, of course (not
    to mention they may well have changed by now). And yes, mud is especially
    troublesome with some SPD pedals.

    Bill "up too late to address rest" S.

    (Hope hubby is better soon, btw!)

  3. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    All I need, anyway.

    I'll put my questions first:

    1. Okay, I know that shifting the front ring while on a hill can lead
    to nasty chain suck issues. Blech. But shifting early seems to put
    me in a position where I can't/don't spin fast enough to match my
    speed coming up to the hill, so I lose all my momentum right at the
    bottom as my wheel slows down to match my feet. That sucks. Any
    suggestions? (I'm guessing the answer is "pedal faster!", but I'm
    hoping for something more detailed, like, "Pedal faster, doofus!"😉

    As long as you don't switch three or more gears at once you should not get
    chain suck. Although, I find that my XT rear derailleur is a much harder
    gear change on the uphill than my XTR.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Clipless cleat positioning. The inside of my left knee hurt a bit
    on the really long, gradual climb -- every time. The knees didn't
    hurt for the rest of the loop, though. Now, this could be arthritis
    (yes, I have arthritis at 26 -- doctor-confirmed and everything); my
    knees hurt when I woke up this morning. But if it were a cleat
    problem, how should I change my foot position to get rid of pain to
    the inner knee?

    Sounds like the front of the cleet may be angled to far to the left. Check
    where your toes are pointing when clipped. If they are point way out to the
    left it would put pressure on the inside of your knee.

    Quoted message said:


    Anyway, on to the RR:


    <SNIP>

    It is nice to ride alone sometimes. You get to enjoy the scenery a bit
    more. I find that when people get into a group, it always becomes
    competitive regardless of the "no one gets dropped" line.

    Quoted message said:


    Here's why, sometimes, a dirt road and some solitude is all you need:

    - Getting used to clipless at my own pace (I'm trying the multirelease
    cleats now, but the idea of stopping, then toppling still scares the
    bejeesus out of me). I can slow down to almost a halt and practice
    clipping in and out without wasting anyone's time.

    Falling is part of the learning process. It's finding a soft place to land
    thats the tricky part.

    <SNIP>

    Quoted message said:


    Mini ER #1: Rudy Project Kerosene. First of all, I'd like to
    recommend Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder to anyone shopping for
    performance eye stuff. I've spent several hours of Tom, the owner's,
    time over the last months hemming and hawing over his selection. I
    finally decided on these. I really like them. They're small enough
    that my small face doesn't look bug-eyed, but big enough to cover my
    whole eye area. They vent well. The two lenses I chose, racing red
    and action brown, are great for variable light conditions and bright
    sun, respectively. My lenses don't get all fogged up when I ride
    anymore! I really like these things. And did I mention to check out
    Tom's? He spent a ton of time with me, adjusted my regular glasses
    frames twice, gave me honest feedback, undercharged me for the extra
    set of lenses, and threw in a free (nice!) case for my regular
    glasses when I asked to buy one. And we had a great time talking
    bike stuff while he was doing all that. I overheard a conversation
    between another salesperson there and a customer, and she also ended
    up charging the customer less than she'd originally estimated. How
    often do you see that?

    I'd have to say that my Rudy's are my favorite glasses and I've tried many
    different brands from $20 - $250. Get yourself a set of clear lenses too.
    They'll be good for those overcast days in heavy tree cover or night riding.

    Quoted message said:


    Mini ER #2: shimano multi-release cleats. Still haven't decided if
    they actually make it easier or not. It's certainly not a night and
    day difference. I had my right foot pull out a couple of times
    practicing bunny hops last Saturday, but I think that's because I had
    way too much mud packed in under the cleat, thanks to a really
    impressive slow-motion endo.

    You clips might be too loose if you are pulling out on a bunnyhop. Try
    turning the adjustment two notches. Multirelease should be a big difference
    from the single release. You do not need to lift your heel to get out, just
    twist.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    All I need, anyway.

    I'll put my questions first:

    1. Okay, I know that shifting the front ring while on a hill can lead
    to nasty chain suck issues. Blech. But shifting early seems to put
    me in a position where I can't/don't spin fast enough to match my
    speed coming up to the hill, so I lose all my momentum right at the
    bottom as my wheel slows down to match my feet. That sucks. Any
    suggestions? (I'm guessing the answer is "pedal faster!", but I'm
    hoping for something more detailed, like, "Pedal faster, doofus!"😉

    2. Clipless cleat positioning. The inside of my left knee hurt a bit
    on the really long, gradual climb -- every time. The knees didn't
    hurt for the rest of the loop, though. Now, this could be arthritis
    (yes, I have arthritis at 26 -- doctor-confirmed and everything); my
    knees hurt when I woke up this morning. But if it were a cleat
    problem, how should I change my foot position to get rid of pain to
    the inner knee?

    Are your feet in their "natural" position when clipped? If not adjust
    your cleats to position your feet more naturally.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Mini ER #2: shimano multi-release cleats. Still haven't decided if
    they actually make it easier or not. It's certainly not a night and
    day difference. I had my right foot pull out a couple of times
    practicing bunny hops last Saturday, but I think that's because I had
    way too much mud packed in under the cleat, thanks to a really
    impressive slow-motion endo.

    --
    monique

    What pedals do you have? If M515s, consider the M520s for better mud
    shedding properties.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC
    (Remove XSPAM)

  5. On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:38:53 -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

    Can't help you with the questions, I have many problems timing my shifting
    as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Well, Eric's been in the hospital since Saturday night,


    Erm, hope he's ok?

    Quoted message said:

    Mini ER #1: Rudy Project Kerosene. First of all, I'd like to recommend
    Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder to anyone shopping for performance
    eye stuff. I've spent several hours of Tom, the owner's, time over the
    last months hemming and hawing over his selection. I finally decided on
    these. I really like them. They're small enough that my small face
    doesn't look bug-eyed, but big enough to cover my whole eye area. They
    vent well. The two lenses I chose, racing red and action brown, are
    great for variable light conditions and bright sun, respectively. My
    lenses don't get all fogged up when I ride anymore!

    Did you get prescription lenses for these? I would really like to have a
    pair of glasses that covers more of my (also small) face. (I wear kid's
    glasses, if that gives you a clue.) I need Rx lenses though, and haven't
    been too thrilled with the options I've seen in sports glasses.

    gabrielle

  6. On 2004-05-20, gabrielle penned:

    Quoted message said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    Well, Eric's been in the hospital since Saturday night,


    Erm, hope he's ok?

    Yes, thank you. He's coming home today, although of course he'll be
    recovering at home for a while, too. He'll be fine in a couple of
    weeks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mini ER #1: Rudy Project Kerosene. First of all, I'd like to
    recommend Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder to anyone shopping for
    performance eye stuff. I've spent several hours of Tom, the owner's,
    time over the last months hemming and hawing over his selection. I
    finally decided on these. I really like them. They're small enough
    that my small face doesn't look bug-eyed, but big enough to cover my
    whole eye area. They vent well. The two lenses I chose, racing red
    and action brown, are great for variable light conditions and bright
    sun, respectively. My lenses don't get all fogged up when I ride
    anymore!

    Did you get prescription lenses for these? I would really like to
    have a pair of glasses that covers more of my (also small) face. (I
    wear kid's glasses, if that gives you a clue.) I need Rx lenses
    though, and haven't been too thrilled with the options I've seen in
    sports glasses.

    I had Lasik several years ago, and now, my vision is fine in bright
    light -- when it gets dark I need my glasses, though, because my pupils
    get bigger than the incision.

    I did ask about prescriptions, though. Tom actually makes prescription
    lenses for the graal sx, which is a smaller than the kerosene. For the
    kerosene, there's a clip-in that actually clips to the inside. There's
    a pic toward the bottom of this page:

    http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/kerosene.htm

    I haven't decided if I want to get those yet; they reduce the space
    enough that my eyelashes hit the insert unless I pull the frames further
    down my nose, which is a bit annoying. Then again, I was trying the
    clipin for another model, so it might not be a problem with the real
    deal. I guess one nice thing about clip-ins instead of full lenses is
    that you don't have to pay for prescription lenses in every color you
    want. Unfortunately, depending on your vision, the -4 diopters they
    allow may not be enough. It wouldn't have been for me, pre-surgery.

    --
    monique

  7. On 2004-05-20, S o r n i penned:

    Quoted message said:

    Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

    Try shifting to a harder gear in the rear just before dropping down to
    granny in front. That way your cadence will stay about the same until
    the climbing starts, and then you can shift up in the back as the
    grade requires.

    I've been playing with that ... guess I just need to play more. Good to
    hear that I was moving in the right direction.

    Quoted message said:

    My guess (and that's what it is): try moving the cleat(s) DOWN a tad,
    toward the heel. Seems to take a little stress off the knees for me.

    I'll take a look at that, if the pain continues.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, even though it's a pain in the ass, ICE it/them! Really does
    help.

    Yeah. That's a good point. I tend to neglect ice.

    Last night, it wasn't an option; at least, not in a useful timeframe. I
    got back to the trailhead and checked messages; Eric's mom was stranded
    at the hospital because she broke the key in the car door and Eric's dad
    couldn't be contacted. (Now both original keys to that car have been
    snapped. Ah well; they lasted 11 years.) So I had to hightail it to
    the hospital and rescue her. (She has serious back problems, so I'm
    pretty sensitive to her need to get home and get some rest.)

    Quoted message said:

    Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT. Gotta
    strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    *nodnod* ... in fact, I do two stretches and several exercises a day.
    Started a few weeks ago. My kneecap apparently has been tracking
    sideways for the last who knows how many years, causing the cartilage
    damage which is my arthritis. I finally saw a doctor about it this
    spring. It had gotten to the point where driving for an hour caused
    extreme pain in my knees, and I would have to stop and limp. I couldn't
    even drive to Denver without pain, ferchrissakes!

    The annoying part is, if I had gotten this diagnosed while I was still
    in college, when I already had knee trouble but assumed it was related
    to an injury, I would have been young enough to regrow the cartilage.
    Sigh.

    Quoted message said:

    I use Eggbeaters nowadays, but way back when I tried the multi-release
    cleats and didn't like 'em. They felt too "mushy" to me, and didn't
    give me that positive CLICK that the single release ones did. YMMV,
    of course (not to mention they may well have changed by now). And
    yes, mud is especially troublesome with some SPD pedals.

    They don't feel mushy, but the lack of click is definitely weird. There
    are times when they seem easier to get in and out of; other times,
    harder.

    The fundamental problem is that I still have to think about clipping
    out. What I need is a some kind of mechanism that senses when I'm about
    to fall or stop and lets go autonomously =P

    Actually, I just had the thought that a magnet could have interesting
    uses here. I think you could make it strong enough to help with the
    upstroke, but not so strong that you couldn't pull your foot off at
    will.

    Quoted message said:

    (Hope hubby is better soon, btw!)

    He will be! Coming home today, in fact.

    --
    monique

  8. On 2004-05-20, Ride-A-Lot penned:

    Quoted message said:


    As long as you don't switch three or more gears at once you should not
    get chain suck. Although, I find that my XT rear derailleur is a much
    harder gear change on the uphill than my XTR.

    I've gotten the chain caught between the rings and the frame (I think
    that's it -- definitely wedged on the frame) a couple of times, all
    while shifting uphill. Just to be sure, that's the definition of chain
    suck, right? To be honest, though, I don't recall what shifting
    technique I was using. Probably "blind panic and brute force."

    Hrmm ... wait, I think I can reread your last sentence as "Monique, you
    must get an XTR rear derailleur." I like the sound of that =)

    If the specs from this year match last years, and I think they do, I
    have a "Shimano Deore XT." Is that the same as plain-old XT, or a step
    down?

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like the front of the cleet may be angled to far to the left.
    Check where your toes are pointing when clipped. If they are point
    way out to the left it would put pressure on the inside of your knee.

    I did notice that my heel was close enough to the frame (or is that bb?
    whatever that thingie running from one ring to the other is) to
    occasionally make light contact. So this sounds plausible.

    Quoted message said:

    It is nice to ride alone sometimes. You get to enjoy the scenery a
    bit more. I find that when people get into a group, it always becomes
    competitive regardless of the "no one gets dropped" line.

    Yeah, that may be true. I mean, no one in my group is going to take
    pride in beating me -- I'm always way behind -- but it seems that I push
    myself a lot harder in a group. That can be good, but it can also be
    nice to take it easy.

    Quoted message said:

    Falling is part of the learning process. It's finding a soft place to
    land thats the tricky part.

    Indeed. And it's easy to clip out when you're planning for it -- but
    when I decide I *need* to clip out, there are often sharp pointy things
    all about.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd have to say that my Rudy's are my favorite glasses and I've tried
    many different brands from $20 - $250. Get yourself a set of clear
    lenses too. They'll be good for those overcast days in heavy tree
    cover or night riding.

    Yeah. Tom discouraged me from getting clear lenses because I don't
    really ride at night, and the racing reds are pretty tolerant of low
    light conditions. But I've been planning to go back and ask for them.
    I just need to scrape up some cash.

    Quoted message said:

    You clips might be too loose if you are pulling out on a bunnyhop.
    Try turning the adjustment two notches. Multirelease should be a big
    difference from the single release. You do not need to lift your heel
    to get out, just twist.

    I really do think this is a mud issue. If it happens again in non-muddy
    circumstances, I'll consider tightening them.

    --
    monique

  9. Monique Y. Mudama said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT. Gotta


    strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    *nodnod* ... in fact, I do two stretches and several exercises a day.
    Started a few weeks ago. My kneecap apparently has been tracking
    sideways for the last who knows how many years, causing the cartilage
    damage which is my arthritis. I finally saw a doctor about it this
    spring. It had gotten to the point where driving for an hour caused
    extreme pain in my knees, and I would have to stop and limp. I
    couldn't even drive to Denver without pain, ferchrissakes!

    be sure you have the right diagnosis. I was mis diagnosed (by various docs
    etc) as a mal-tracking patella (patella femoral syndrome, chrondomalacia)
    for years, and tried all that stuff - ice, exercises for the vastus
    medialis, taping the kneecap into place... I finally went to see a sports
    podiatrist who specializes gait issues. He rediagnosed me with overtight IT
    ( ilio-tibial) band and gave me a set of prescription stretched to follow.

    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

    This article is the exact prescription that he gave me. I followed it
    exactly for several months, and voila, knee pain is gone after 7 years. Any
    time it hints of coming back I get out my stretchy band and start up again.

    Penny

  10. On 2004-05-20, Zilla penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Are your feet in their "natural" position when clipped? If not adjust
    your cleats to position your feet more naturally.

    I would have to think about that one.

    Quoted message said:

    What pedals do you have? If M515s, consider the M520s for better mud
    shedding properties.

    I'm not sure. I'll look into it; thanks for the pointer.

    (I almost never see mud, though. Saturday was the first time I ever had
    any, and it was just a puddle or two on the whole trail. I should have
    walked it, but for some reason I thought that I could keep pedaling
    through it. No such luck. It grabbed my front wheel like a vise and
    flipped me over. On the plus side, my riding companion tells me it was
    about the funniest thing she's ever seen on a bike.)

    --
    monique

  11. Penny S said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT. Gotta

    strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    *nodnod* ... in fact, I do two stretches and several exercises a day.
    Started a few weeks ago. My kneecap apparently has been tracking
    sideways for the last who knows how many years, causing the cartilage
    damage which is my arthritis. I finally saw a doctor about it this
    spring. It had gotten to the point where driving for an hour caused
    extreme pain in my knees, and I would have to stop and limp. I
    couldn't even drive to Denver without pain, ferchrissakes!

    be sure you have the right diagnosis. I was mis diagnosed (by various docs
    etc) as a mal-tracking patella (patella femoral syndrome, chrondomalacia)
    for years, and tried all that stuff - ice, exercises for the vastus
    medialis, taping the kneecap into place... I finally went to see a sports
    podiatrist who specializes gait issues. He rediagnosed me with overtight IT
    ( ilio-tibial) band and gave me a set of prescription stretched to follow.

    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

    This article is the exact prescription that he gave me. I followed it
    exactly for several months, and voila, knee pain is gone after 7 years. Any
    time it hints of coming back I get out my stretchy band and start up again.

    Penny

    Thanks for the post Penny. I am in a simiar boat, diagnosed with a
    bad-tracking patella. I do no stretching, but it couldn't hurt.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  12. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    I've gotten the chain caught between the rings and the frame (I think
    that's it -- definitely wedged on the frame) a couple of times, all
    while shifting uphill. Just to be sure, that's the definition of chain
    suck, right?

    It depends on where its wedged. If its wedged between the small ring and
    the frame just to the right of the small ring, its a dropped chain. Often
    this doesn't get wedged, it just sort of flops around. If the chain seems
    to hang onto the gear too long and comes around and wedges against the
    frame behind the gear (nearly wrapping around itself on the gear), that's
    chain suck. I spent five years or so thinking a dropped chain was chain
    suck!

    Back to you original question: I don't think there's a great solution to
    the problem of being in the right gear at the bottom of a hill. I read a
    bit of advice once from some racer (I think her name was Allison Sydor),
    basically saying that if the hill is extremely long, don't worry about
    losing that momentum - being in the right gear is more important in the
    long run. Sometimes I'll upshift a few cogs in the back to get a little
    more out of the momentum, but I don't worry so much about keeping that
    momentum. Short hills are just the opposite - you can stay in a high gear
    and use the momentum to get you over it. We just don't have that many
    short hills here. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I did notice that my heel was close enough to the frame (or is that bb?
    whatever that thingie running from one ring to the other is) to
    occasionally make light contact. So this sounds plausible.

    I seem to recall that pain on the inside of the knee has to do with
    alignment. But rubbing the crank isn't all bad. Oh, I can't believe I just
    wrote that. :-) What I mean is, your shoe rubbing up against the crank
    isn't an indicator of an alignment problem - I wore a hole in my first
    pair of shoes, and I suspect that's why many shoes have a piece of hard
    plastic on the inside heel. I've never had pain on the inside of my knee
    (just every OTHER part!).

    Quoted message said:

    Indeed. And it's easy to clip out when you're planning for it -- but
    when I decide I *need* to clip out, there are often sharp pointy things
    all about.

    That comes in time, and you're taking the right approach by using them on
    rides where you have time to think about clipping out. At some point your
    brain becomes trained to do it naturally, without conscious effort, and
    you can unclip even in the worst of situations.

    --
    -BB-
    To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  13. gabrielle <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did you get prescription lenses for these? I would really like to have a
    pair of glasses that covers more of my (also small) face. (I wear kid's
    glasses, if that gives you a clue.) I need Rx lenses though, and haven't
    been too thrilled with the options I've seen in sports glasses.


    I used the Kerosene glasses with the optical adaptor for a couple of
    seasons. They were adequate, but did have some tradeoffs compared to a
    single lens system:

    The insert pushes the outer lense further away from your face, so more
    wind will slip by. My eyes water easily, so I noticed this a lot,
    especially on cold days. Prior to the Kerosene glasses I had a cheap
    no name pair of sport glasses with an insert. Because they were bigger
    and clunkier they didn't have this leakage problem.

    The system is more prone to reflections than a single lens spectacle.
    The annoyance factor varied with lighting angle and direction. My
    older pair shared this trait.

    The inserts are more prone to fogging up than the outer glasses alone.

    Dave Dowler

  14. On 2004-05-20, Penny S penned:

    Quoted message said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT.
    > Gotta
    strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    *nodnod* ... in fact, I do two stretches and several exercises a day.
    Started a few weeks ago. My kneecap apparently has been tracking
    sideways for the last who knows how many years, causing the cartilage
    damage which is my arthritis. I finally saw a doctor about it this
    spring. It had gotten to the point where driving for an hour caused
    extreme pain in my knees, and I would have to stop and limp. I
    couldn't even drive to Denver without pain, ferchrissakes!

    be sure you have the right diagnosis. I was mis diagnosed (by various
    docs etc) as a mal-tracking patella (patella femoral syndrome,
    chrondomalacia) for years, and tried all that stuff - ice, exercises
    for the vastus medialis, taping the kneecap into place... I finally
    went to see a sports podiatrist who specializes gait issues. He
    rediagnosed me with overtight IT ( ilio-tibial) band and gave me a set
    of prescription stretched to follow.

    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

    Yeah, when I started reading up on this thing, it sure seems like an
    awful lot of people are diagnosed with it, which made me wonder if it's
    not too easy for a doctor to assume that's the problem.

    How would you suggest being sure the diagnosis is right?

    The description of "sharp, burning lateral knee pain of iliotibial band"
    from your link doesn't really fit. On the other hand, my PT found my
    strength to be great, but my flexibility to be lacking, so maybe she's
    covering both bases with me. She has certainly spent more time with my
    knees now than the doctor did. It sounds like she's assigned me
    exercises from the pfs side and stretches from the it band side.

    The ortho surgeon seemed to decide that it was pfs and
    chrondosnuffalupagous or whatever based on several reasons:

    - Keeping my knees bent for extended periods of time (driving, movie
    theater, etc) is painful

    - My knees click, and sometimes feel like they're "catching" when I try
    to extend my legs fully

    - He could see/feel the shifting when I bent my knees

    - Xrays showed no other sources of problems, though they did show slight
    fuzziness at the bottom of the kneecap indicating cartilage damage
    (chrondomalacia)

    Anyway, my PT. We decided that braces and/or taping would be more
    irritating to me than the pain I feel, since it's usually minor during
    activities. She found that my strength in both quads and hamstrings is
    fine; the problem seems to be that I'm too tight, just like you've
    described for yourself. In the first picture of your link, they show
    the modified Thompson stretch -- I did that and the leg that wasn't
    being held close to the chest pretty much stuck straight out.

    The two stretches I do are:

    1. Kneel so that one knee is on the ground. Push the hip forward on
    the side whose knee is on the ground. Hold 30. This is pretty subtle,
    but I definitely feel it.

    2. She calls this her pretzel stretch and said it's kind of her own
    invention. Lie down on your side. Grab the foot of the leg that's on
    top and pull it to your butt, like you would if you were stretching your
    quad standing up. Then take the bottom leg and use that foot to pull
    your upper knee down. (Okay, this is hard to describe in text.) I
    really feel this right at the outside of my knee and also up by my hip.
    Hold 30.

    Then I do a bunch of generic quad exercises. Abbreviated wall squats.
    Standing on a step with one foot dangling and lowering that foot to the
    ground. That kind of thing. Whether or not they specifically help my
    knee problems, I like what they've been doing for my strength.

    Oh, she's also a big believer in working on balance, so I get to stand
    on one foot with my eyes closed, too. That's tough.

    Quoted message said:

    This article is the exact prescription that he gave me. I followed it
    exactly for several months, and voila, knee pain is gone after 7
    years. Any time it hints of coming back I get out my stretchy band
    and start up again.

    Very cool. I've been told it will take months to really know if these
    exercises have been working.

    --
    monique

  15. On 2004-05-20, Dave penned:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I used the Kerosene glasses with the optical adaptor for a couple of
    seasons. They were adequate, but did have some tradeoffs compared to a
    single lens system:

    The insert pushes the outer lense further away from your face, so more
    wind will slip by. My eyes water easily, so I noticed this a lot,
    especially on cold days. Prior to the Kerosene glasses I had a cheap
    no name pair of sport glasses with an insert. Because they were bigger
    and clunkier they didn't have this leakage problem.

    I'm wondering if your face is as small as mine ... I have trouble
    imagining that the kerosene would ever let air leak through on my face,
    even with a bit of distance added.

    Quoted message said:

    The system is more prone to reflections than a single lens spectacle.
    The annoyance factor varied with lighting angle and direction. My
    older pair shared this trait.

    The store owner told me that anti-reflective treatment was a must for
    inserts, because the two-lens thing makes reflection worse. Did your
    prescription lenses have an a-r coating? If not, that might help.

    Quoted message said:

    The inserts are more prone to fogging up than the outer glasses alone.

    That I'd believe =/

    --
    monique

  16. On 2004-05-20, Monique Y. Mudama penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Standing on a step with one foot dangling and lowering that foot to
    the ground.

    What I meant to describe there is the same as figure 11 in your link,
    Penny.

    --
    monique

  17. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    - Getting used to clipless at my own pace (I'm trying the multirelease
    cleats now, but the idea of stopping, then toppling still scares the
    bejeesus out of me). I can slow down to almost a halt and practice
    clipping in and out without wasting anyone's time.

    My first clipless ride was with Linda, along this old logging trail. I
    slow down almost to a stop, unclip my left foot and proceed to fall over
    to my right! So I'm laying there, my shoulder is this gooey sticky mess
    now, and Linda comes over to me and says "OOOhhhhhh, you found
    Blueberries!!!". That's what the sticky mess on my shoulder was, mashed
    Blueberries....<sigh>

    Anyway, what I did was take a piece of masking tape and write "UNCLIP"
    on it, and put it on my bars. For the next couple of months it acted as
    a reminder, and eventually the thought of unclipping became ingrained
    and was a natural response.

    Sounds dorky, but it worked. Now if only I could distinguis right vs
    left...
    --
    - Rog

    http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

    NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
    from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

  18. Roger Buchanan said:


    My first clipless ride was with Linda, along this old logging trail. I
    slow down almost to a stop, unclip my left foot and proceed to fall over
    to my right!

    I did this a bunch of times, too. My first ride with clipless on a
    technical trail went fine - no inability to get unclipped in emergencies -
    until the trail split and I stopped to mull over which way to go.
    Unclipped the left foot, and fell to the right - down a long hill. My
    right foot stayed clipped-in long enough to launch the bike into the air
    just above the hill from me, and it landed about 1/4" below my helmet. I
    had a big swollen bruise on my eyebrow for awhile.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, what I did was take a piece of masking tape and write "UNCLIP"
    on it, and put it on my bars. For the next couple of months it acted as
    a reminder, and eventually the thought of unclipping became ingrained
    and was a natural response.

    Actually that sounds like a really good idea!

    --
    -BB-
    To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  19. Craig Brossman said:
    Penny S said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    >> Finally, look up some knee exercises on the web or from a PT.
    >> Gotta
    >
    > strengthen those tendons around the patella.

    *nodnod* ... in fact, I do two stretches and several exercises a
    day. Started a few weeks ago. My kneecap apparently has been
    tracking sideways for the last who knows how many years, causing
    the cartilage damage which is my arthritis. I finally saw a doctor
    about it this spring. It had gotten to the point where driving for
    an hour caused extreme pain in my knees, and I would have to stop
    and limp. I couldn't even drive to Denver without pain,
    ferchrissakes!

    be sure you have the right diagnosis. I was mis diagnosed (by
    various docs etc) as a mal-tracking patella (patella femoral
    syndrome, chrondomalacia) for years, and tried all that stuff - ice,
    exercises for the vastus medialis, taping the kneecap into place...
    I finally went to see a sports podiatrist who specializes gait
    issues. He rediagnosed me with overtight IT ( ilio-tibial) band and
    gave me a set of prescription stretched to follow.

    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

    This article is the exact prescription that he gave me. I followed
    it exactly for several months, and voila, knee pain is gone after 7
    years. Any time it hints of coming back I get out my stretchy band
    and start up again.

    Penny

    Thanks for the post Penny. I am in a simiar boat, diagnosed with a
    bad-tracking patella. I do no stretching, but it couldn't hurt.

    It's REALLY common for cyclists and runners to get an overly tight IT band
    and be mis-diagnosed. I've been there and so have several of my friends.
    Now, whenever a knee gets sore, if I just stretch my IT band (even on the
    trail) a little it will almost always fix it right up. Try it, it may fix
    your woes like magic!

    Matt

  20. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    Yeah, when I started reading up on this thing, it sure seems like an
    awful lot of people are diagnosed with it, which made me wonder if
    it's not too easy for a doctor to assume that's the problem.

    How would you suggest being sure the diagnosis is right?

    Try what they recommend, and if it doesn't work, try something else. Like I
    said, took me years to get this figured out. Just save surgery for the last
    resort. Orthos get paid to cut. They even like to cut over tight IT bands!!

    Quoted message said:


    The description of "sharp, burning lateral knee pain of iliotibial
    band" from your link doesn't really fit. On the other hand, my PT
    found my strength to be great, but my flexibility to be lacking, so
    maybe she's covering both bases with me. She has certainly spent
    more time with my knees now than the doctor did. It sounds like
    she's assigned me exercises from the pfs side and stretches from the
    it band side.

    My pain presented as achiness, throbbing on the outside of the knees
    sometimes to sharp stabbing. Relentless at times.
    Taping provided relief, as did massive amount of ibuprofen and ice.

    The stretches that work best for me are the #5, #6. combined with the step
    ups

    I'd be really careful about doing a lot of quad work until you get this
    figured out. The IT band is part of the quad muscle group.

    penny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.